What's new
Peugeot RCZ Forum

Register a free account today to become a member. It's free! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, connect with other members through your own private inbox and take part in competitions!

Steering Issue

NF7

Reaction score
I changed the waterpump, tensioner and the belt (waterpump, ac, powersteering) in the summer. It was great.

Then after a month, the steering wheel started to vibrate when at low RPM. First gear and reverse are problematic. I can feel extensive vibration turning the wheel at 1-2k RPM. If I raise the RPM, the vibration goes away. It happens when the engine is cold and when it is at working temperature. I did not brush the curb or anything else, the road leading up to my house has speed bumps, but that should not be the culprit.

The vibration got even worse when fitting the winter tyres. I checked the tension of the belt (was fine), I checked the level of the oil of the power steering, it was fine.

Did anyone else run into the same issue? Is my power steering pump on the way out? Or is it maybe something different?

Jumper

Reaction score
Try turning full lock Left and then Right whilst parked and listen for any stange noises on the power steering. If its normal then the power steering should be ok check its not leaking under the car as well. Do a couple of emergancy stops to check your brakes are not binding or getting hotter than usual. If all is OK then it may be suspension/wishbone bearings vibrating through the steering. You could also check nothing is catching or trapped in the steering rack/drive shaft bearing at the back of the engine.

NF7

Reaction score
Try turning full lock Left and then Right whilst parked and listen for any stange noises on the power steering. If its normal then the power steering should be ok check its not leaking under the car as well. Do a couple of emergancy stops to check your brakes are not binding or getting hotter than usual. If all is OK then it may be suspension/wishbone bearings vibrating through the steering. You could also check nothing is catching or trapped in the steering rack/drive shaft bearing at the back of the engine.
Will do. My car is currently in the shop for an unrelated issue but sadly they were not able to duplicate the issue with the steering wheel - thats why I’m looking for possible other options.

Pedro

Reaction score
The list for this issue is as long as your arm ie Brakes =sticking caliper/ uneven wear on the pads? Engine/gearbox mounts steering rack/arms- track rod ends suspension bushes etc etc etc

Jumper

Reaction score
Will do. My car is currently in the shop for an unrelated issue but sadly they were not able to duplicate the issue with the steering wheel - thats why I’m looking for possible other options.
Right OK. Let me know what you find out.

NF7

Reaction score
So, after the car was in the shop in December but the issue could not be replicated.

It happened again today but only it only vibrates when reaching 50-65% of turn to the right. When turning left its not felt.

It vibrated so hard, the passenger could felt it.

Bad bearings?

Pedro

Reaction score
Yes it is possibly the culprit as they can cause severe vibration if badly worn & Change both is if one's knackered (recommended) I assume the CV joints are in good condition?

Last edited:

RCZ-R

Reaction score
Put the car on a lift so the front wheels are freely rotating. Then start the engine and try to replicate the issue by turning the steering wheel to left/right in gear, in neutral, by low/high revs. If no vibrations occurs, then you can move on to the mechanical parts of the suspension.

Reactions: NF7

Pedro

Reaction score
You could jack up the wheel & grip it in a 10 to 2 & 12.30 position & rock the wheel side to side or up & down movements to see if you can feel any play