What's new
Peugeot RCZ Forum

Register a free account today to become a member. It's free! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, connect with other members through your own private inbox and take part in competitions!

speed limiter

stewartwillsher

Reaction score
OK, so here is a "speed limiter" at approx 150mph, from 1970. :wtf:
It is now, and has been since then, a souvenir paper weight on my study desk. :cool:
Any guesses? :eusa-think:
I'll follow up with the answer in a couple of days. :thumbup:

Attachments

• 150mph.jpg
    150mph.jpg
    17.5 KB · Views: 606

2retro

Reaction score
Story of my life! :lol:

Plecodoras

Reaction score
Not the answer or maybe it is ?

I had this happen to me when my regulator failed and sent the engine into super turbo revs, I think at one point the engine was revving 13,000 - 15,000 rpm ( ps it was a bike ) the faulty regulator made the spark so strong that it burned through the piston no problem.

I didn't keep the two pistons - yes it happened twice before I could diagnose the regulator, an expensive fix to broke experience, I think I was so sissed off with it I just threw the bloody thing away, looking back it might of made another paperweight or something else for our lass to be " ever so pleased with " .... Not !

stewartwillsher

Reaction score
And the answer is ... a small WAFFLE -
My Clubmans Formula (1,000cc class) lightweight Lotus Seven had a Gerrard F3 BMC "A" series lump, with all the full race components, a 649 cam and 45 DCOE Weber.
The spec allowed for sustained revs of 7,500 and momentary (up through gears) of 8,500.
Now, the Norwich Straight at Snetterton, in those days, was the longest in the UK and the lap length also the longest.
My modest motor was entered in races combined with the big boys, so mixing it with big Jags and GT40 type cars.
I could reach about 135mph two thirds down the straight watching for 7500 rpm.
But how could I resist tucking under the tail of a GT40 to take me up to over 150 mph, as they passed; it would drop my fastest lap time and possibly let me close on a rival.
There was a sort of "POP!" and a lot of ominous smoke and the "limiter" was activated!
[Incidentally, no actual rev limiter.]
A plug went incandescent and blew a hole in the top of a piston; yes that one in the snap.
How the poor thing completed the lap, I know not, but little internal damage was found when I stripped the engine down and rebuilt it with some new bits later.
Fortunately, in those heady days, there were scattered around the country, BMC dealers aligned with Abingdon, which was the competition base.
Most bits on full race applications could be ordered off the shelf and arrived within days!
Incidentally (my hint of yesterday), at Le Mans it was/is a trick used by drivers of not the quickest class of obtaining a fast lap, quicker than the car's real potential, by slipstreaming.
The Mulsanne Straight, when I used to go there, was over four miles long, so tucking under the tail of a faster car could lop a few seconds off your lap time by increasing your top speed on the straight for as long as you could hang on.
Not done it myself there, but seen it, and did do it in humble Norfolk.

Plecodoras

Reaction score
They did tests on top gear all to do with slip streaming and mpg etc.
Was interesting.
Something I have done and is more noticeable on a motorcycle, especially behind a very large truck.

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

DKZ5745

Reaction score
If you ever watch video of speed record attempts on bicycles, they follow a car with what is in essence a small wall behind it. The cyclist is literally inches from the “wall” getting a massive tow, enabling unbelievable speeds on a pedal cycle (I think it’s @ 184 mph) :eek: