What's new
Peugeot RCZ Forum

Register a free account today to become a member. It's free! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, connect with other members through your own private inbox and take part in competitions!

Someone using Scangauge device on their RCZ?

RCZ-R

Reaction score
hi guys,

does someone happen to use the Scangauge device on their RCZ? I mean this one:
http://www.scangauge.com/support/x-gauge-commands/

I'm especially looking for some hidden Xgauge codes you can program into that device. I've been doing it on my previous cars and often you get some interesting read outs from car's OBD computer, like intake air temperature (important to know, when the engine is under heavy load) or exhaust gas temperature, turbo boost, etc.

I've been looking for them over the internet, but strangely nothing to find. Does it anybody use?

thanks! :greetings-wavingblue:

RCZ-R

Reaction score
Yes, part of the scangauge's functionality is covered by this app too. But the scangauge digs deeper with its xcodes. You program those codes into the device and then it monitors the car's ECU for those car-specific codes which give "hidden" information back, like boost pressure and many more.
There are some standard read outs available, like all the typical OBD stuff (which you also get with blutooth dongles to the OBD port and apps like torque pro) but those xcodes are the real deal I'm looking for.

pete.garratt

Reaction score
Well, I've had a look at the Xgauges for the CANSF cars (top right box on the page to which your link sent me) and I've seen gauges in DashCommand for all of the parameters listed there.

There may be others, of course, but so far I haven't seen anything new. My reading of this, based on the information so far, is that there's nothing special about Scangauge - it's one of many OBD products you can get.

The difference here seems that Scangauge is a dedicated bit of hardware that does nothing else, although it is transferable from vehicle to vehicle - I guess it plugs into the OBD port, whereas things like DashCommand are a smartphone app that needs an accompanying piece of hardware that can be moved from vehicle to vehicle.

One thing I didn't spot on the Scangauge page was any description of data logging and download functions so you can save information to a file for later analysis, which is one thing DashCommand can do. In fact, there is a companion item of pc software you can buy for DashCommand to do deeper analyses. You can also save the information as .csv files to import into spreadsheets if you want.

stagger321

Reaction score
I'm with you Pete. From what I can see there is not much more than this unit can do for you (as a regular punter) over and above what you can get via a OBDII sensor (bluetooth or wireless) and an appropriate (free or at least very cheap) apple, android or winblows app.
I have one of the OBDII bluetooth units I got for a fiver off fleabay for my previous car, and it was useful in that it helped with diagnosing the engine miss-fire I was seeing
These Scangauge units probably provide more info and are I assumed design to live with you in the car to help with ongoing diagnosis of issues and driving styles (to say get better fuel consumption - looking at the reviews). For a regular driver I can't see the benefits. You can do all this for a fiver as mentioned above, should you choose. Its not like you are using it to optimize and rewrite settings to the Engine management with Scangauge , or anything of the like (heaven forbid)
Having said that RCZ-R already has one of these units, so I can see why he would want to get it working. I'm all for gadgets, so I wish him well.
Lo there RCZ-R :greetings-wavingblue:
I assume you know this anyway, but the website says "You can find out what protocol your vehicle is running with the ScanGauge by pressing MORE > MORE > MODE." So you should be able to ascertain if it will work as is, or if you need a new firmware upload for the unit.
What exactly are you hoping to do with whese xcodes you mention? Design a new remap for us poor underpowered 'R' owners ?? :shock: :beer:

RCZ-R

Reaction score
hi guys,

I'm totally with you. But as I own this device since years I want to continue to use it. Do not see a reason to buy another OBD plug-in device, hook up to the phone (which I need to do calls instead to play around while driving :) and start from scratch.
Yes, that scangauge is no magic device. But it does the job properly for what it was designed.

I'm going to use it only in case I can squeeze out some additional OBD signals beyond those typical. Thus looking for those Xcodes.

Why do I need them? Pretty simple. I drive the R really hard all the time. I'd like to have an eye on some figures, especially during longer period of flat out runs (like I did last Saturday, about 25 miles of tarmac stretch at flat out, 157mph the whole time) so I can apply even better cool-down procedures to the engine.
And when driving hard in the Alps, especially above 2000 meters, it helps to keep an eye on those rising temperatures.

Currently I have no interest in remapping my R. I'm happy with it. The only limitation I'm going to take away soon is the speed limiter at 157mph.

pete.garratt

Reaction score
That being the case, I would just plug in your device and see what you get.

I would strongly suggest to you that these 'xcodes' only access the data that's already in the car - and that if you can't see it, it's because the car doesn't have a sensor for or internally use that parameter.

However, if you can't see something you expect, give us a shout and I'll see if Dashcommand can do any better. If it can, you'll be in a much better position to decide if you're happy without it or would prefer to invest in some new OBD h/w and an app.

DKZ5745

Reaction score
RCZ-R said:
The only limitation I'm going to take away soon is the speed limiter at 157mph.

I would think there might be one or two members on here that would be interested in the results of that mod. :eusa-think:

RCZ-R

Reaction score
pete.garratt said:
That being the case, I would just plug in your device and see what you get.

I would strongly suggest to you that these 'xcodes' only access the data that's already in the car - and that if you can't see it, it's because the car doesn't have a sensor for or internally use that parameter.

However, if you can't see something you expect, give us a shout and I'll see if Dashcommand can do any better. If it can, you'll be in a much better position to decide if you're happy without it or would prefer to invest in some new OBD h/w and an app.

Sure, it isn't a magic toy :) It only reads what the CANBUS monitors. I already have hooked it up to do some data read outs. Works fine but I do miss few data read outs, like intake air temperature or the turbo boost pressure. I hope I can apply those standard xcodes from CANSF to get to those read outs.

BTW, does your dashcommand app show you the turbo boost pressure?

That speed limiter is going off somewhere during March/April time. Currently cannot make it to the workshop :greetings-wavingblue:

pete.garratt

Reaction score
Having a poke around Dashcommand suggests ther isn't a boost sensor fitted to the R. There are options to estimate boost pressure, record maximums and averages.

Nothing else seems supported and I'm guessing that's a car configuration thing.

A

Anonymous

For what its worth my OBD2 bluetooth connector gives me intake temperature readings. Its not an R though and a MK1 so perhaps its something to do with that.

Ill hook it up today again and take a screenshot of the readings that are available.

A

Anonymous

Bluetooth OBD2 device and app cost about £8

A

Anonymous

First is live data in a traffic jam second is logging intake temp after the jam

RCZ-R

Reaction score
Thank you very much for the upload!

I see the intake pressure there, very good. I will give it a try on my R. Do you use any specific OBD dongle or any blutooth will do? What app is that? :greetings-wavingblue:

stagger321

Reaction score
RCZ-R said:
Thank you very much for the upload!

I see the intake pressure there, very good. I will give it a try on my R. Do you use any specific OBD dongle or any blutooth will do? What app is that? :greetings-wavingblue:
I believe that is the output from Android Torque (either Lite or Pro), available from the Google PLay market: https://play.google.com/store/search?q=torque&c=apps&hl=en
The OBD2 dongles are generic. I got one from fleabay for £5 posted.
This looks very similar to the one I got: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BT-Blueto...398?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item2c70b2aee6
There are absolutely tons of free and paid OBD2 apps out there for Android, Apple and Windows Phone (I have a Nokia 920 with free OBD Auto Doctor on for instance)
That OBD2 dongle is one of the best 5 quids I've spent.
Android and Windows Phone work fine via Bluetooth. I believe the iphone requires a wifi OBD2 dongle (unless jailbreak'd, where I understand the bluetooth dongle works)

A

Anonymous

Hi guys,

i can confirm this x-gauge code for AFR works on the RCZ (THP200)

CANSF Alt A/F Bank1 Sensor1 data -
TXD: 07DF0134
RXF: 04414534
RXD: 2808
MTH: 05B900800000

I've been using it on mine. I get 14.7 AFR at idle, 18 AFR when decelerating and around 11.5 when flooring it in 4th gear.
I have meth installed and activates at 12psi(affected the AFRs for 4th Gear).
Our cars should have a Wideband sensor just like the R56's engine.

A

Anonymous

pete.garratt said:
Dashcommand has that as standard, if anyone wants to know.
Thanks but i dont want to know..RCZZZZZZZZZZZ if you ask me.You guys are absessed.Wgaf....jeez. drive it and enjoy it ffs.