What's new
Peugeot RCZ Forum

Register a free account today to become a member. It's free! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, connect with other members through your own private inbox and take part in competitions!

Smokey

rc06bas

Reaction score
Hi Guys, thinking my valve stem seals are on their way out. I only notice a little puff of smoke after a traffic light stop then pull away etc. No loss in performance, I'm now running 5/30w oil. Any other options? 2011, 156bhp. 70k. How much do they cost to replace? Will it fail mot in September?
Thanks

Rczwales77

Reaction score
Hi there,I recently re sealed my rocker cover but soon after the car was emitting blue/ grayish smoke after idling, funny how this started after doing the cover so as the pcv valve is integrated in the cover I decided to fit a new cover , and since then the smoke has stopped so I would try that first as my z is same as yours 156bhp also change oil with good quality 5/30 psa b71 2290 standard oil, upon inspection of old cover the pcv valve was black and solid stuck closed I presume,so try that first and see how you get on and good luck👍👍

rc06bas

Reaction score
Hi there,I recently re sealed my rocker cover but soon after the car was emitting blue/ grayish smoke after idling, funny how this started after doing the cover so as the pcv valve is integrated in the cover I decided to fit a new cover , and since then the smoke has stopped so I would try that first as my z is same as yours 156bhp also change oil with good quality 5/30 psa b71 2290 standard oil, upon inspection of old cover the pcv valve was black and solid stuck closed I presume,so try that first and see how you get on and good luck👍👍
Thanks for the reply. Last month I had fun and games with the garage as they changed my rocker cover and put the wrong spec one on. Threw up engine management light. Got the correct one fitted now but now I notice the oil smoke. Only on a hot engine at idile if I give it a blip to pull away.

Pedro

Reaction score
Valve stem seals are cooked mine does it often but I will eventually fix it sometime

Rczwales77

Reaction score
As Pedro said stem seals is most likely, was thinking of doing mine but I'll leave it for now,another thing I was thinking of doing was to service the turbo as I'm on 71000 miles just for the sake of ruling the turbo out,at least I will know that both turbo and pcv are OK, as I said before smoke on my car has reduced significantly pretty sure I've noticed a very tiny puff of blueish smoke once but also I questioned the oil my mechanic used didn't sit well with the engine, another thing is oil consumption you have to check the dipstick very regularly as sometimes it needs half a liter every other week and sometimes not it does depend if you floor it occasionally or not,but one things for sure they do burn a bit of oil and if replacing the stem seals cures it so be it, good luck with it whatever you decide and let us know how you get on👍👍

lfe

Reaction score
If the smoke comes out when accelerating after idling, the problem is with the valve seals or the piston rings.

This occurs because the vacuum in the intake manifold and cylinder is highest at idle and this can suck oil which is then expelled on acceleration.

I don't think the problem is on the turbo.

You can also remove the spark plugs and see their color, if any are black or greased, then there is a problem in that cylinder.

rc06bas

Reaction score
The turbo was rebuilt 5k miles ago. Hopefully that's ok. My oil goes from full to half in around 2 to 3 weeks. Only ever notice smoke at traffic lights. Friends have followed me and says it looks fine when driving. Would this fail an mot?

lfe

Reaction score
How much distance do you travel in those 2-3 weeks?

Anything approaching or exceeding 1 liter per 1000 km is highly excessive and may fail the emissions test.

If the spark plugs are removed it would be good to do a compression test of each cylinder.

rc06bas

Reaction score
I do about 600miles per month. Might get a compression test done. Seems like its a money pit.

Pedro

Reaction score
I would also check for carbon build up in the valve chambers common problems with direct injection engines valves not closing properly walnut blasting will cure it easy cheap fix