What's new
Peugeot RCZ Forum

Register a free account today to become a member. It's free! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, connect with other members through your own private inbox and take part in competitions!

Slight coolant loss/ Temp gauge dropped

RCZwonderboy

Reaction score
Hey looking for some advice please if anyone has a rough idea as to what they think the problem is here

So roughly a few weeks ago I started the car and it came up with top coolant up, I checked it and it was only a small amount needed topped up so I done this

All was fine driving it, Now a few weeks later I got the same message coming up yesterday so I checked the coolant again and again only a very small amount needed topped up

However today I noticed the temperature gauge dropped to zero whilst driving, I had been driving for a few hours today temperature Garage was working then suddenly the needle dropped and the hot air stopped working.

I checked the coolant when I got home and the coolant level is still the same at the max level when I topped it up yesterday.

Anyone experienced this before? Could it be a thermostat issue or maybe a coolant leak somewhere perhaps? There’s no leaking on the driveway so I’m unsure tbh.

As always I would appreciate your helpful advice on this, thanks.

DKZ5745

Reaction score
Sounds like it could be a sensor issue. I think I’ve read on here that the coolant sensor can get covered in crystals, which can affect its function. This could be why you’re getting an erroneous message regarding the coolant level.
Not sure if that would explain the sudden drop on the temperature gauge, but it’s a good place to start.

RCZwonderboy

Reaction score
Sounds like it could be a sensor issue. I think I’ve read on here that the coolant sensor can get covered in crystals, which can affect its function. This could be why you’re getting an erroneous message regarding the coolant level.
Not sure if that would explain the sudden drop on the temperature gauge, but it’s a good place to start.
Thanks for your input.
There has been a drop in coolant level though like i previously mentioned for the second time in a few weeks

and since that has happened for the second time the temperature gauge is now playing up, it seems like a bit of a coincidence to me so it’s lead me to think it’s not just a sensor issue if you catch my drift.

DKZ5745

Reaction score
Ah, sorry, I read the bit about the coolant level staying at max. It could well be the thermostat that is causing problems, especially if the temp gauge is playing up 🤔

RCZwonderboy

Reaction score
Ah, sorry, I read the bit about the coolant level staying at max. It could well be the thermostat that is causing problems, especially if the temp gauge is playing up 🤔
Yeah I think the thermostat as well. Any idea which is the 1 I’ll be needing ? As from what I’ve read theres different shaped ones for the MK1 and MK2 isn’t there, Also I have the 200THP does that take a different size to the 156/HDI ?

the ones I’ve looked at online aren’t specifying model variants or if it fits mk1 or mk2 they just say RCZ

Pedro

Reaction score
I bought the one for my 200GT off ebay but you need to validate its the 1.6 16 valve 197 BHP in the listings or check for the engine code EP6CDTX for the 200 that way they will send the right tank

RCZwonderboy

Reaction score
I bought the one for my 200GT off ebay but you need to validate its the 1.6 16 valve 197 BHP in the listings or check for the engine code EP6CDTX for the 200 that way they will send the right tank

Yeah I have had a look on eBay also, But non specify the exact model the thermostat is for. I have contacted at least 4 different sellers and they all don’t have the size for the MK1 200THP

Anyone have any suggestions as to where I’ll find the 1 im looking for ?
Thanks

DKZ5745

Reaction score
You could also try any breakers near you, you might just drop lucky & find one in.

RCZwonderboy

Reaction score
I eventually found 1, £60 for the part which isn’t bad

unfortunately for me I never have any luck what so ever and especially with this car, it’s not just the thermostat on it’s own that’s knackered the bigger issue is the straight plastic pipe at the back that connects to the thermostat has a crack in it and the mechanic was having a wobble about it on Friday saying it’s going to be a nightmare to get too and isn’t looking forward to tackling it when that part eventually arrives and that he can’t give me a rough time frame as to how long this is going to take or cost me. so there’s probably another £500 odd pound in labour charges added onto the original bill by the time it’s fixed thanks to that cracked pipe

I’ll no doubt get told more of the good news about it later in the week.

Ahmed

Reaction score
Hey looking for some advice please if anyone has a rough idea as to what they think the problem is here

So roughly a few weeks ago I started the car and it came up with top coolant up, I checked it and it was only a small amount needed topped up so I done this

All was fine driving it, Now a few weeks later I got the same message coming up yesterday so I checked the coolant again and again only a very small amount needed topped up

However today I noticed the temperature gauge dropped to zero whilst driving, I had been driving for a few hours today temperature Garage was working then suddenly the needle dropped and the hot air stopped working.

I checked the coolant when I got home and the coolant level is still the same at the max level when I topped it up yesterday.

Anyone experienced this before? Could it be a thermostat issue or maybe a coolant leak somewhere perhaps? There’s no leaking on the driveway so I’m unsure tbh.

As always I would appreciate your helpful advice on this, thanks.
Currently have the same problem, changed water pump (hard to see the leak because of cover under pump and leak being small and infrequent) but after 2 month another small coolant loss, could be the pipe between the thermo and pump, but getting to it would be a nightmare (even the pump wasn,t easy, engine has to be tilted). Now I understand why the mechanic Quoted 1,200 pound for pump, thermo and rear pipe.