What's new
Peugeot RCZ Forum

Register a free account today to become a member. It's free! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, connect with other members through your own private inbox and take part in competitions!

Silverstone Single Seater

DKZ5745

Reaction score
So, today I visited Silverstone to live out my dream and drive a Formula Ford, single seater race car.
30 minutes briefing, 5 laps behind a pace car gradually getting faster, then 30 minutes flat out racing :shock:

I was in Car 3. Unfortunately, as we started our 30 minutes, the rain began, and slowly got worse throughout the session. 6 cars spinning brought out a lot of yellow flags which affected lap times quite dramatically.

I had it almost sideways once, which annoyingly resulted in a blue flag to let the car behind me pass. it took me 2 laps (15 & 16) to catch him and re-pass him, resulting in the fastest lap of the day 1:15.671. his car was 14 and his best lap was the one after he passed me 1:15.965.

I can thoroughly recommend this experience, and I intend doing it again, hopefully in the dry next time. :dance:

I was quite amazed I managed to get the fastest lap, and even more amazed it was on lap 16 when the rain was probably at its worst. :auto-car:

Attachments

• Formula Ford.jpg
    Formula Ford.jpg
    103 KB · Views: 1,302
  • small times list.jpg
    small times list.jpg
    238 KB · Views: 1,302

DKZ5745

Reaction score
p.s. I was by far the oldest driver there, by quite a few years.

DKZ5745

Reaction score
Even the OH seemed to enjoy the day :eek:

Attachments

• P&DCar.jpg
    P&DCar.jpg
    105 KB · Views: 1,299

stewartwillsher

Reaction score
Good maaaaan! Well done! :clap:
Single seaters are awesome, and in the wet, even more so. :dance:
Brown trouser moments are an indication that you are trying, so corks should be provided. :oops: :oops:
Haven't driven anything in anger (so to speak) for forty eight years (cripes!!); apart from showing up a few cheeky young braves at corporate karting fun evenings. :lol:
Driving home afterwards you have to remind yourself you are no longer on the track, nor as young as you were. :roll:
Do it again. :thumbup:
If there was a track near here, I would be gated by the missus and told to grow up! :thumbdown:

DKZ5745

Reaction score
visibility could have been a lot better......

Attachments

• Screenshot 2019-06-02 at 23.32.02 copy.png
    Screenshot 2019-06-02 at 23.32.02 copy.png
    133.3 KB · Views: 1,298

DKZ5745

Reaction score
you are right about the journey home.

I never thought I would think the RCZ seemed slow, but leaving Silverstone it really did.

I never thought I would think the RCZ had great suspension, but leaving Silverstone it felt like driving a Rolls Royce.

Eventually, I settled back into driving the Z, but I admit I was so pumped up, I am just waiting for the ticket to come through the post (there are an awful lot of speed cameras on the M1 between Yorkshire and Silverstone) :crazy:

it actually probably was the best thing I have ever done.

stewartwillsher

Reaction score
Oh no!
Don't remind me. :thumbdown:
Last race ever, and the betrothed came to watch with future father and mother-in-law and sister-in-law. :eusa-whistle:
It bucketed down and on the grid, when the flag fell, I just sat there at three thousand revs, waiting for the wet weather tyres to grip. :sleeping-yellow:
The only visibility I had to the first corner was a tunnel in between the spray from the wheels of the car in front. :x
It was not nice! :thumbdown:
In laws were not impressed and soggy! :lol:
Happy days!! I think! :eusa-think:

Plecodoras

Reaction score
Congratulations Pete !

Looks like you thoroughly enjoyed it and showed the young ens how to do it !

It's funny I was at Elvington on Saturday and it was race day but with the supercars, and my lad showed me some event on his mobile, that allowed you to drive what you have just done.
I said to him, you can get me that for my birthday, - see if he does, I'd be made up...

Eh you never know - fathers day soon ...... I 'd love to do the Formula 1 cars, so well done to you :thumbup: :thumbup:

frankvdb

Reaction score
Did you race the "National" circuit?
With that lap time it can't have been the GP circuit.
BTW in my favorite mobile racing game Real Racing 3 there are four variants of Silverstone.
Games and simulators help a lot for learning tracks.

RCZ-R

Reaction score
Congrats!

This sounds like a lot of fun!
How many laps did they give you? Or was is a time slot you got assigned to?
Have you done something like this before?

In UK, you got plenty of those kind of motoring events. Plenty compared with ze Germany. So there is something in the saying, Great Britain is home of motor sports. :greetings-wavingblue:

DKZ5745

Reaction score
It was Stowe circuit. Yes, hahah it would have been incredibly impressive had it been the Grand Prix circuit.

I have driven the Grand Prix circuit previously on a “speed” experience which consisted of 4 cars including a Lotus Elise and culminating in a Ferrari. 4 laps in each car, finishing off with a “hot lap” as a passenger with an instructor.

This was the first time I have driven Stowe.

This time we had a 30 minute briefing by a racing instructor - mainly regarding safety and familiarisation of the track.

We then had 5 laps behind pace cars, (the field was split into 3 groups each behind a pace car) then into the pits for the track to be checked, then staggered start with 5 seconds between each car. Then 30 minutes of racing at whatever speed you felt comfortable with.

There were many yellow flags as the rain started to get heavier, so most laps were compromised.

You were only allowed to overtake if the car in front of you had been blue flagged, and then you could only overtake 1 car at a time.

I managed to overtake 11 out of the other 12 cars.