What's new
Peugeot RCZ Forum

Register a free account today to become a member. It's free! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, connect with other members through your own private inbox and take part in competitions!

She's got the look

GuzziGrowler

Reaction score
After an reasonably exhaustive search for stylish coupes the boss and I decided on the RCZ as her new motor and brought an 'eleven' (
) plated blue 156 a couple of weeks ago.

Motors under contemplation (within our GBP6k budget) were initially confined to hard top convertibles; and consequently narrowed down to the cool little Mazda MX5 (we own a '14 Mazda 6 which hasn't so much as blown a blub in six years of annual servicing ownership. Brilliant styish family car), Audi TT, Beemer Z3 or 4 & Merc SLK mkII (not the pig ugly mk.1) . However having test driven the MX-5 the boss considered the Mazda a bit too hardcore for her daily 40 mile round trip commute, despite the apparent advantages of five annual days of carefree roof down British motoring. I loved the direct nature of the MX-5, but the mk1 styling left me feeling like a canal boat pilot, and the mk.2 only a stomachable touch better: Latest shape = gorgeous, but out of scope financially. Merc mkIII we had as a holiday rental. Handling suspect. Engine wheezy.

Sadly MX-5 ruled out, we were left with Audi TT, VW Sicrocco, and...cars equaly bland visually. Dismissive? Yes. Justifiable? Yes'er! I come from a thirty year plus heavily motorcycle orientated background - no end of Japanese and when I grew up a couple of Italian marques. To my mind style & sound is/ should be the biggest driver(s). Style equates to passion. You can take your tectonic engineered' marketing hyped slogans and shove them right up your pretetious 'Vorsprung Durch Technik' tailpipe. Our Alfa Romeo 156 cost us as much as it's purchase price in repairs over two years of ownership, but on 18 inch mags she was gorgeous back in the day; and she handled, and she sounded like no in line four had any decent right to as standard. What price does anyone put of that? Looks, feel, sound? I know what Mastercasd would say.

So it became the RCZ. Reason? Because she's fuggin' gorgeous. Mk1, Mk2. I'm ambivalent. Was she modelled on the mk.1 Audi TT? Undoubtedly: industry follows trends, and the design classics reach an apogee, always been the way, regardless of what design object you're taking about: An Iznik tile or a Ducati Panigale. I walked past an Audi TT mk.II today. Similair lines to the RCZ, but totally lacking that design 'je ne sais quoi' or 'wow' factor that the RCZ has in spades thanks to that evocative roof and muscular rear flanks.

So to conclude a red wine and gin fueled waffle, a car's a fuggin car, by and large, to a life long bike junkie like me. There's only so much Stirling Moss you can do on moonscape British A/B roads - as me (Kiwi native) and my Ducati 900SS irritatingly know. So style has to become a premium. Yes the RCZ's is a bit crashy on Britian's winter ravished roads, yes, the engine is not one to tolerate fools mechanically, yes she wears 308 undergarmets. But f.... all that. The point is she has a motor that loves revs, she's pretty damn coddling inside and she's gorgeous. Extrapolate all that to the fairer sex and we're all in a supermodel relationship. What price lust?

Ian J.

Reaction score
Rode bikes for forty years
Bowed out with a Harley low rider which was a shame because it was the most expensive and least favorite of pretty much all the bikes I ever owned
Favorite...................Vmax no contest.

GuzziGrowler

Reaction score
Gidday Ian. Never liked boat anchors, but remember reading about the VMAX in CycleWorld when she came out in 1985. Definitely a class defining iconic machine, such a great looking muscle bike.

Ian J.

Reaction score
Gidday Ian. Never liked boat anchors, but remember reading about the VMAX in CycleWorld when she came out in 1985. Definitely a class defining iconic machine, such a great looking muscle bike.
Totally mental bike , mine was a 1999 full power 140BHP just wanted to pull your arms out of their sockets when you wound it up
Sold it in 2004 and never found anything that really lived up to it.

Dingers

Reaction score
I found the worst feature was the gearbox, as it was very vague until you got used to it. But the engine was a peach. I got the impression it could have handled another 25 bhp easily.

GuzziGrowler

Reaction score
I love the RCZ for the way she can be abused through corners with those giant footprints - giggle's per heart beat - off the scale. But cars will always be a second class form of tranport to motorcycles through their inability to lean. By Mohammed's rancid sandal (Topeki palace) I've never felt so alive as knee on deck at 160 clicks in fourth (albeit track occurances): Simply a higher level again of speed induced endorphine pumping intensity. But I can't do that on a hot summers day in shorts, tee shirt and jandals with the boss driving her RCZ and me Iggy Pop'ing our way to a country pub pint....

Flanners

Reaction score
I had two Alfa GTV 2 litres (1980 & 1984). It was a love hate relationship with both of them. However still has a place in my motoring heart.

20210401_172206_resized_1.jpg

I had my V6 up for sale for the last week, a myriad of scammers, nutters, dreamers and 'what's your lowest price' calls and emails later.....decided not to sell her; not worth the hassle and having driven her a hundred odd miles this week I'm loving the Busso soundtrack all over again after 8yrs. She has a Q2 and GTA clutch and flywheel fitted etc, and is an entertaining drive. Has appreciated by 100% since I bought her and apart from belts and front pads and discs she has not needed anything (yet). I like cars with foibles and 'personality' for me the RCZ is like a modern version of the Alfa GTV.

Last edited:

Ian J.

Reaction score
View attachment 11143

I had my V6 up for sale for the last week, a myriad of scammers, nutters, dreamers and 'what's your lowest price' calls and emails later.....decided not to sell her; not worth the hassle and having driven her a hundred odd miles this week I'm loving the Busso soundtrack all over again after 8yrs. She has a Q2 and GTA clutch and flywheel fitted etc, and is an entertaining drive. Has appreciated by 100% since I bought her and apart from belts and front pads and discs she has not needed anything (yet). I like cars with foibles and 'personality' for me the RCZ is like a modern version of the Alfa GTV.
Lovely looking mint car, get what you mean about the foibles thing, the RCZ has mechanical flaws but is worth putting up with because its just got modern future classic written all over it.