What's new
Peugeot RCZ Forum

Register a free account today to become a member. It's free! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, connect with other members through your own private inbox and take part in competitions!

scuffed silver alloys

peter sergeant

Reaction score
Hi scuffed nsr alloy - any ideas how to cover up. ( Thanks to previous respondents re clearing water from double bubble rear window).
Had rcz 10 weeks and notice other alloys are starting to show marks. Does the garage cover up any blemishes with a lacquer/paint prior to sale?
Thanks Pete

Verminator

Staff member
Reaction score
Some garages use alsorts of tricks to keep your eyes 👀 off them and by the time you see them it's too late as the reply will be you could have done it yourself????? There are some companies that do alloy wheels repair at your home or work.. But I would have them refurbished and you can change the colour of the wheels too...
Drive safe and stay lucky 🍀
Les n Co

2retro

Reaction score
Looks like water has got under the laquer on them. Best thing you can do now is have them refurbed but you'll probably need them off the car and the tyres off for that so bit of a pain...

2retro

Reaction score
There's a guy on here just last week selling a set of 4 19" RCZ wheels that have been fully refurbished in black. You could get those, add tyres and sell yours on to recoup some of the cost?

Ian J.

Reaction score
Had mine refurbished, powdercoat for £70 per wheel and they look great in black, no unsightly brake dust on show which you get with silver.

apple3337

Reaction score
Wet and dry sandpaper and satin clear coat in a can. My R was delivered to me with severe gutter rash around the outer edge. I thought I'd try sanding it out before paying someone to do it. I was shocked how easy and how well it turned out. Start with about 180 grit, then 400, 800. Even 1200 if you need to. Mask off and seal with the clear. The good thing is, even if it fails you've only lost a few pounds on materials.

chrismac

Reaction score
Wet and dry sandpaper and satin clear coat in a can. My R was delivered to me with severe gutter rash around the outer edge. I thought I'd try sanding it out before paying someone to do it. I was shocked how easy and how well it turned out. Start with about 180 grit, then 400, 800. Even 1200 if you need to. Mask off and seal with the clear. The good thing is, even if it fails you've only lost a few pounds on materials.

Can you post a few photo's. I would be interested to see how it came out.

apple3337

Reaction score
Can you post a few photo's. I would be interested to see how it came out.
Here are some pics. I didn't think to get before pics. The first 2 pics are the front rim. Note: These are diamond cut rims.
The front rim has been sanded back from the "R" logo up toward the top of the rim. About a quarter of the rim. There are a few marks in the clear coat. I'm not sure what that is. I'll sand back and paint again. The second 2 pics are the rear rim. This was badly damaged around the whole rim where the tyre meets the rim. The face was OK. I have sanded it back all the way around. It's NOT been clear coated yet. They won't be as good as a full re-cut but I'm not too fussed. I can do that later if I choose to. It's extremely hard to spot just standing there looking at them. I probably removed about 0.5 mm of metal. When I get new tyres I'll put the repaired rims on the other side to prevent then getting damaged again. BTW they were like this when I bought it. :(
DSC02561.JPGDSC02562.JPGDSC02563.JPGDSC02564.JPGDSC02561.JPGDSC02562.JPGDSC02563.JPGDSC02564.JPG

Last edited:

chrismac

Reaction score
I think I will have a go at fixing mine.....

1598359178207.png

As you say - if it fails I can always take it to a professional. Thanks for posting the pic's.

theseannery

Reaction score
These look great. I had exactly the same issue. The dealer (Arnold Clark), who I would NEVER use again had done some magic of some sorts to cover up the alloy damage....a couple of months later....they were a mess. I know alloys are pretty easy to fix when the wheels are off the car, but I don't have the equipment to do this, so' i'll check it out. I have read that placing playing cards round the perimeter is good for shielding the tyres while spraying.