What's new
Peugeot RCZ Forum

Register a free account today to become a member. It's free! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, connect with other members through your own private inbox and take part in competitions!

Screen flicker, loss, loose connection.

A

Anonymous

It seems the problem with the multi-display screen and the eventual remedy varies from one instance to another. Whilst I accept that the screen could conceivably fail it would appear that most of the faults could be as a result of the cabling and in particular the LVDS cable linking the unit to the back of the radio. Now here is the rub, my local dealer has told me that the cable is part of the screen and cannot be fitted or bought separately. Ironically they showed me a unit that had been replaced under warranty with the cabling intact. I immediately asked what was to be done with the unit as the cable, to all intent and purposes looked fine, and apparently on the the say so of Peugeot it would be 'binned' I immediately offered to buy the unit but, at the moment, they are not in a position to sell it although there is a slim chance it may become available.
If anyone has succeeded in having the cable changed I should be extremely grateful if they could let me know via this forum as I would then pursue a positive result with that in mind. As previously mentioned, the cost of the cable should be insignificant compared the amount necessary to replace the whole screen. Having dis-assembled the unit as far as the LVDS cable, I must admit it does look like the cable disappears into the unit making it extremely difficult for the amateur to disconnect it. Any comments gratefully received.

A

Anonymous

I think, as soon as you decide you want to fix the issue, won't live with the intermittent fault it's worthwhile taking the unit to an electronics repair place. From what you describe I agree that it's not a job for an amateur. It's a job for someone who's used to repairing phones, laptops, circuit board, soldered joints etc etc. no doubt their fix will cost peanuts compared to replacing the whole unit.

Of course, it's not as sure a solution as replacing the whole unit, but if you've no warranty worries and have decided you can't live with the intermittent fault, it's worthwhile giving your current unit to an electrical repair place for them to try and fix it prior to stumping up for a full replacement unit from a main dealer. That's what I'll do as soon as it gets annoying enough.

Well, I may try and have a go myself. I'm patient enough and willing to learn, but suspect I'll end up taking it to a pro.

A

Anonymous

Dear all,

just a litle update from my side.

I'm trying to get the tools to take out the double din unit from the dashboard and being able to remove the cabling connected to the screen in order to try to fix the unit. I've got a soldering station and some experience in LCD electronics repairs, including replacement of SMD parts on circuit boards. electronc is my hobby since mre than 20 years now :-D.

In details, on ebay I've found some screens ALONE for sale as used parts, around 300 eur each. So that means that the cables CAN be replaced without too much soldering.

Again, it seems form the discussion here and other discussions around, that the problematic cables were two : the left one taking power and connected to the on/off switch of the screen, the right one that is taking care about video signal and that is getting me crazy with flickering etc , and should be composed by twisted pairs.

I'll keep you posted and in case of success i can try to work also on others misfunctioning unit, but at the moment what it would be highly appreciated is :

- reference to a guide of how to remove the 2-din lower nav from the dashboard without breaking anything
- pictures of the broken wires
- anything you think can be of any help to solve our issue.

My best wishes to everybody

Gyxx

A

Anonymous

Just removed the sat nav unit but as the cable has severed just before it enters the unit it will be difficult to solder. Really I would like to remove the cable completely but it looks awkward to remove. Like other suggestions, it seems prudent to take the whole unit to and electronics expert and let him have a go. Hope the pic has attached to this reply.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    110.4 KB · Views: 15,680
A

Anonymous

Just to confirm the type of cable, it is inscribed with the code H 13 b and comprises
Red, orange, white, grey, yellow, green, brown and blue wires which do not appear to be paired in any way. Hope this helps

pete.garratt

Reaction score
I reckon you might get a reasonable repair if you splice short links between the broken ends, covered with either PVC tape or, better, small bore heat shrink sleeving. There may be a question regarding re-instating the overall braid screen. You can buy braid screen so, possibly, you may be able to overlay and protect with slightly larger bore heat shrink sleeve. One issue with this is that the overall cable bundle will not be so flexible, so may give difficulties in opening/closing when re-installed.

If it we me, I'd just try splicing the broken wires, staggering the splices if you can to improve flexibility/cable bend radius, and see how it goes.

If you don't feel confident doing it yourself, any competent auto or electronics technician ought to be able to do a reasonable job.

A

Anonymous

Thanks for that. I have now taken the unit to a local computer repair guy who reckons he will be able to solder the wires. He didn't seem overly concerned about the shielding braid but I will possibly take your advice and surround the finished repair with some and see how that works. I still am a little disappointed with Peugeot as this does appear to be a serious design fault. Can't understand why the cable has to be bent so severely coming out of the unit. There is plenty of room for the cable to leave the unit directly and travel straight to the radio. The opening mechanism then would have less impact and strain on the cable.

A

Anonymous

Wow - I really didn't expect to see such significant damage! I thought it would be a really slight boken connection, possibly even somewhere inside the unit!

The problem appears pretty obvious there and I agree with Pete, a simply repair is the first port of call. Get that done and see what the results are. In my experience braided protection rarely needs replacing if there's only a small gap. If you've not noticed interference with it the way it is (other than over speed bumps etc) then it will probably be fine.

If it works, you've just saved yourself and anyone else on this forum worth the same issue (there are many) a great deal of money.

I agree with you - what a rubbish design.

pete.garratt

Reaction score
I guess the other things to cover are:
1) are any other wires showing signs of abrasion or damage?
2) is it possible to see what if anything is rubbing, to cause the damage in the first place?

Wires showing signs of damage are likely to go on to fail themselves in a short while, so some extra protection might help. Again, heat shrink sleeving, slit lenghwise & adhesive lined if possible, might do the trick.

If you can see what might be causing the issue and relieve it, even if only slightly, that might help also.

the big blue

Reaction score
Hi all' :greetings-wavingblue:

...the dreaded Sat Nav flickering screen :( ,,would I be right in assuming that Peugeot deny all knowledge of yet another fault/ piece of bad design and that those affected by this are out in the wilderness on their own?? !

.the big blue (..sometimes I wonder whether I would be so down heartened had I instead become a back bencher on the Roc Forum :eek: ,,SORRY as I didn't mean to swear !) :oops:

A

Anonymous

Dare I say it but I think the problem is resolved. As mentioned, I took the unit to my local computer repair guy and he soldered the wires and covered the repair with a heat shrink sleeve. I have repositioned the unit into the RCZ and .....success. I didn't bend the cable into the original fitting which seemed to be the cause of all the problems but just fed it straight to the radio connection. To take the screen out and radio unit takes about 10/15 mins although the radio can be a little awkward to remove the first time. Only time will tell if the repair is permanent but I can't see why it shouldn't be!
I have had no further feed back from Peugeot but I am happy that the whole repair just cost me £25 instead of the anticipated £1.5k Maybe I can afford to go on holiday after all.

A

Anonymous

How comes you had to take the radio (head unit) out of the dash to sort this out?

A

Anonymous

Got it in one! Can't understand why a previous report stated the whole dash had to be removed, including the glovebox, a few hours work at least, unless they were trying to trace other faulty wiring possibilities

A

Anonymous

Dear all,

unfortunately due to some work & family overload I was unable to follow the discussion up to now.

Thanks Mk_83 for posting all istructions. By unluck right after sending my last reply, I have ordered the wrong tools to extract the navi, the u shaped one instead of the knife like tools. Thanks to you all I'll order the right one immediately. They seem to be the one for the Ford that are reported here.

http://www.ebay.it/itm/FORD-KUGA-CAR-CD ... 566961cac6

As soon as I'll get them I'll unplug the unit and the cable.

Unfortunately I've utilized an old credit card to detach the trim from the dashboard, after havind done it many times now most of the clips were dead, Up to now I have not found it on ebay but hopefully I'll get it from peugeot at a reasonable price after having fixed the main unit.

From the very nice picture posted from Geppi I can say that the cable seems really a Cat 6e network cable or something really similar. Since my broken part seems to be the one around 2 cm after the curve, I'll try to repace it with that kind of cable if feasible or to shorten it avoiding the broken part.

If it will not work I'll try with a spare HDMI or DVI cable that i have here around, but 6e should be sufficient.

I can confirme the code H 13 b also on my cable (the one at the right of the screen).

I do expect to receive the kays within 10 days then I'll try the repair on the weekend. I'll keep you posted of course.

Ciao and thanks for all the helps and useful info in the meanwhile.

Gyxx

A

Anonymous

Dear all,

Thanks to the picture posted here probably I've understood what cable is the one is making so much troubles to us.

If so, it was easier than expected. And i could realize earlier looking at the cable code.

It can be simply an HDMI 1.3b cable with automotive connector or other. It is still the same cable already utilized for DVI interface but with another more stabile connector.

In that case peugeot had not to re - invent the wheel, and we cold find it quite easily as a spare part. It could be the mosti intelligent thing for driving a screen that can be utilized to watch a DVD on the car :D.

Is quite the same of a network cable, with still same problematics, but usually more robust. And we can change it with a stronger version without killing our wallet probably.

for reference :

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HDMI and http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:HDMI_Connector.jpg for HDMI / DVI

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Twisted_pa ... cable3.jpg for network cables.

The problem is .. at the moment I'm not finding any internet dealer for and HDMI automotive cable, but it should not take too much time hopefully.

Cheers

Gyxx

A

Anonymous

Dear all,

the keys to remove my satnav/stereo system just arrived, one hour ago I started to dismantel everything ....

The good news :

- up to now it was really easy to dismantle the unit, you do only need a couple of torx, I've taken a lot of picture.
- The cable IS a cat 6 shielded network cable, 1 meter long, and the connector can be opened. If you have a good soldier / soldiering station (less than 70 euro) you can easily replace the cable for some euros.

The bad news :

- I'm quite tired and will not have time to complete the repair up to this weekend, I don't want to be quick and uneffective.
- I do need a new trim for my car :D, if somebody know where to buy on line it will be really appreciated.

Cheers

Gyxx

A

Anonymous

Now with a photo of the H13b cable cutted with twisted pair exposed.

Attachments

• H13B network cable485x384.JPG
    H13B network cable485x384.JPG
    44.5 KB · Views: 15,597