What's new
Peugeot RCZ Forum

Register a free account today to become a member. It's free! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, connect with other members through your own private inbox and take part in competitions!

Rubber smell and turbo noise

Costin

Reaction score
Hi,
I've just bought an RCZ and în first day, after a long trip under the bonnet it's some white smoke and a burning rubber smell. I'm sure the smoke is not a rubber one because the rubber smoke is black, but I still don't know the source of the white smoke.
Also it makes a weird sound for about 5 minutes after I turn off the engine. It sounds like a tractor noise (of course way much silent😂😂).
Does anyone else have/had that noise?
Thanks.

NF7

Reaction score
Hi,
I've just bought an RCZ and în first day, after a long trip under the bonnet it's some white smoke and a burning rubber smell. I'm sure the smoke is not a rubber one because the rubber smoke is black, but I still don't know the source of the white smoke.
Also it makes a weird sound for about 5 minutes after I turn off the engine. It sounds like a tractor noise (of course way much silent😂😂).
Does anyone else have/had that noise?
Thanks.
That sound after turning off is probably the vent still cooling the engine. Does your car show any errors?

Burning rubber smell and white smoke? Probably the belt slipping or some rubber hose rubbing on it or somewhere else and melting. That is a serious issue so you should check it immediately.

Rubber smoke is not automatically black, because the rubber in the car has higher temperature resistance so it will not immediately catch fire (rubber usually produces black smoke while actively on fire). Belt while rubbing and heating will produce white smoke. I know this as my previous car had a stuck clutch on an AC compressor, and the belt was rubbing on it. It produced white smoke while melting :D

Last edited:

RCZIain

Staff member
Reaction score
From memory there is a pump that cools the turbo down that runs for a while after you turn the engine off.

Mrrcz

Reaction score
is it due a service? getting the engine coolant change is important if the car is over 10 years old and that's why engine overheating and fan staying on but like the guys said it sounds like u have a fan belt or something burning which doesn't sound healthy

Pedro

Reaction score
Check ALL the fluids it may be coolant/oil or even at a pinch brake fluid leaking onto the engine or exhaust (white smoke) usually belts stink of burning rubber if their shredding & it smells the interior as it comes through the pollen filter also check the Engine mounts because believe it or not these used to burn/melt with heat generated by a overheating engines aka low coolant-low oil capacities poor air cooling (main Fan deficient by not working at full speed)