What's new
Peugeot RCZ Forum

Register a free account today to become a member. It's free! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, connect with other members through your own private inbox and take part in competitions!

Roof water marks

A

Anonymous

Hi All

I hope someone can help.

Some guy washing a car dumped his dirty water on to my car yesterday at the office, but did'nt bother telling me. So the car stood for mosy of day in the sun. Now i there seems to be these water mark all over the roof and bump( black gloss part). i have been to my local detailer this morning a they tried a few polishes (all meguiars products) but there still nothing.

There has been some improvement but its still noticable in the light.

Can anyone advise on the best product to use. I think the roof has some sort of laminate on it.

I live in South Africa, so i am a but limited on certain products. Auto glym,Meguiars are quite popular here.

Thanks
Dennell

A

Anonymous

Try several coats of autoglym super resin polish apply/remove and so forth,the sun has left burn marks in the laquer :eusa-think: if that dont work try autoglym pant renovator very gently at just one point in the roof if it works apply to all the roof gently then go over the roof again with super resin polish,then finally a good wax autoglym paint renovator is great it even removed bird droppings burnt in to the paint on the spoiler of my red type R last i just applied the products as i stated above :thumbup:

A

Anonymous

dennell said:
Hi

Thanks i will try it this week-end :thumbup:

and also buy some new applicators as well the autoglym stuff aint expensive either small bottles of both should cost more than £20

RCZ1

Reaction score
Did your dealer use a machine polisher to try and remove the marks? I don't think super resin polish is going to be strong enough, as its not abrasive but contains fillers, so all that will do is hide them for a while not get rid if them. Meguiars 105 and 205 will do the job, particularly if you can machine polish but they will also do it by hand, with a bit of elbow grease.

A

Anonymous

I wouldnt touch the black roof with a D A polisher unless i were fully competent with this sort of tool as its a skill all on its on own, not for the casual detailer.

RCZ1

Reaction score
I totally agree Jassy but if he is competent then there is no need to worry. You would have to be a complete fool to do damage with a DA. It's a rotary you have to worry about in the wrong hands. I wouldn't suggest anyone use any machine polisher without thoroughly practising and getting to know what the machine will and won't do. I always suggest people get a scrap panel to practise on before going anywhere near a real car. I tried my hardest to inflict damage on the scrap panel with my DA and it's very very difficul to do.

A

Anonymous

Hi Guys

Thanks for the recommendations.

I was a bit worried about using the machine polisher on the roof. I wish we had a Gtechniq in SA. Some1 on the forum posted some impressive before and after pics of his roof.

However I found a recommended detailing place, going to give them a shot this week-end.

Also… Would a clay bar work on getting the marks off ?

A

Anonymous

I have a DA and detailed most of my RCZ with it. It’s a meguiars DA version 2. Never did any harm to my car. What i did is remove the swirls that the dealer inflicted before handing the car over to me :) . That is why i ended buying this expensive device. Moreover although i did not have any experience with a DA I can say that the results are amazing. Especially after applying the finishing wax. Never tried it on the roof but i have some swirls and will soon buff them off.

RCZ1

Reaction score
gatt767 said:
I have a DA and detailed most of my RCZ with it. It’s a meguiars DA version 2. Never did any harm to my car. What i did is remove the swirls that the dealer inflicted before handing the car over to me :) . That is why i ended buying this expensive device. Moreover although i did not have any experience with a DA I can say that the results are amazing. Especially after applying the finishing wax. Never tried it on the roof but i have some swirls and will soon buff them off.

Which pads do you use and polish? I use the CG Hexlogic pads with the Megs 105 and 205 polishes.

I want to give my car a going over with the DA next month and the roof will be done. Remember start off with the least cutting pad first and see what results you get.

A

Anonymous

I am using the micro fiber pads and the polish compound and wax that come with the DA.
I think it’s impossible to damage the car with a DA. It’s so easy to work with.
Never had any problems with, moreover I have fixed loads of swirls and other cosmetic issues I had on delivery.
The difference from a normal buffer is that it is quite impossible to burn the paint, but it will take more time to fix cosmetic issues.
Apart from this, wax is applied very thinly and evenly so you do not have problems to remove it with a cloth.
Thanks

A

Anonymous

Did the roof yesterday. Nothing to worry about. it has a mirror finish now. :)

Washed thoroughly with Meguairs Ultimate wash and wax (carnuba based wash wash, very thick in texture)
Dried up roof with a MF cloth and cleaned it with Meguiars ultimate quick detailer.
Masked all the surroundings
First some passes with meguiars cutting compound DA set @ 4000 rpm (least setting for correction, goes up to 6000)
removed the cutting compound with an MF cloth
Second some passes with the finishing compound DA set @ 2000 rpm basically its a carnuba based wax done some passes with this as its a filler as well.
removed the wax with a MF cloth
third some passes with Meguiars Ultimate Quik Wax with a MF cloth, this is a sealeant with same carnuba wax mixed in it.

The finish is now mirror like.

I always tackle small areas, example one day i do the bonnet, another day i do the rear part of the car.
The next step is the rear bumper. But i will clay this part first before carrying any corrections.