What's new
Peugeot RCZ Forum

Register a free account today to become a member. It's free! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, connect with other members through your own private inbox and take part in competitions!

"road tax" in Spain

stewartwillsher

Reaction score
Thought this might be of interest.
Have just paid our annual "road tax".
Here, in Spain, the person or organisation that owns the vehicle on the first of January, pays the year's tax, no matter what, unless the vehicle is formally scrapped.
The payment is to the local town hall (ayuntamiento) or local authority, usually during April; end of May being the deadline.
The amount you pay for each vehicle is all a bit complicated, with a maximum laid down by central government, but varies for each registration area, usually being the Province.
The type and power of the vehicle puts it in a price band, with hybrids and electrics paying much less or even nothing.
Here, for your amusement (you might not be amused if comparing with what you pay in the UK) are the amounts we have just paid (in euros) for our annual "road tax".
The zero and old Mondeo are in a high band - 76.26 each.
The 5008 and the 108, middle band - 36.12 each.
The Linhai ATV, like a motorcycle - 16.06

renegade79

Reaction score
In Ireland My GTi Costs €280 to tax for the year. The motor tax is based on Co2 emissions Incidentally my old 207 GTi thp200 was also €280 to tax. If your car is 2007 or older then you pay on engine cc. So to put that in some perspective a 2007 bmw 520d will cost €710 to tax but the 2008 bmw 520d (with the same engine) will only cost €280. :eusa-whistle:
But if your car puts out >226 Co2 then your tax bill will be €2350 :eek:

Nemi

Reaction score
In Lithuania we don't have direct road tax :eusa-shhh: Some tax is included when paying for fuel and it does not depend on a car. It is cheap to own polluting or powerful car here :crazy:

DKZ5745

Reaction score
Of course the sensible option would be to abolish road tax and add a couple of pence to a litre of fuel.

Those who use the roads most would pay more tax, those who use the roads less pay less.

Gas guzzlers pay more, eco green cars pay less.

Isn’t this exactly what the government is trying to achieve?

At the moment, the little old man who owns an old jag - pride & joy of his life, uses it once a week, pays more road tax than the salesman driving round in his brand new Japanese car doing 1000 miles a week.

We have a sh1t system at the moment - the tax collected doesn’t even get spent on improving the 50dding roads :thumbdown: :crazy:

stewartwillsher

Reaction score
DKZ5745 said:
Of course the sensible option would be to abolish road tax and add a couple of pence to a litre of fuel.

Those who use the roads most would pay more tax, those who use the roads less pay less.

At the moment, the little old man who owns an old jag - pride & joy of his life, uses it once a week, pays more road tax than the salesman driving round in his brand new Japanese car doing 1000 miles a week.

We have a sh1t system at the moment - the tax collected doesn’t even get spent on improving the 50dding roads :thumbdown: :crazy:

Don't get me going on taxes. :thumbdown:
A little before I retired, I did a full analysis of what we (one man band consultancy with wife admin) contributed, and if we didn't exist the Treasury would be down by about half the cost of one MP. :shock:
Didn't do that exercise again as it got me worked up something rotten. :cry:

Abzynthe

Reaction score
My car tax cost me £500 this year, for one car! Next year it drops a whopping £50, to £450 lol.

2retro

Reaction score
Abzynthe said:
My car tax cost me £500 this year, for one car! Next year it drops a whopping £50, to £450 lol.
It's a BMW, you can afford it! :lol:

Plecodoras

Reaction score
Abzynthe said:

And of course you're not accounting for the inflation on that which brings it nicely to something like .... £505 !!

They never go backwards AND dont start ME off on Bludy taxes, they are allll robbing barmen !! :evil:

Plecodoras

Reaction score
DKZ5745 said:

Why is it our roads are an absolute mess yet we bring in more in revenue than any european country whose roads are generally much better than ours. And as Nemi says, they can drive owt and the fuel has the tax incorporated....
Quite a few years ago the Government were thinking of putting tax into the fuel price, but motoring organisations were worried that this would push the price to £5 a gallon... what are we paying again ? mmm over £5 a gallon. Oh yes and for those folk who don't know what a gallon is, it's what we used to use as our measure for fuel and as such priced on this ie when we got an increase it was per gallon, by reducing the quantity into litres, they can now rip you even more by adding the rise per litre and some think - oh that's not much, but factor in the conversion 3p / litre = 4.54609 * 3p = 13.63827p rise and there would have been an outcry if this was the rise when we used gallions.
Now see what you've started Stewart !!!! DOH.....

For the record Pete I agree, this should have been done and is a much fairer system, but soz our guv doesn't do fair.

tianorth

Reaction score
Re: "road tax" in Spain

Road fund licence tax
RCZ-R £150
RCZ HDi £135
M/bike 1 £85
M/bike 2 £85
1007 £30

Total £485

Then there is the insurances on them as well
About £700-800 per year for all except 1007.

Then there is the fuel of which about 80% is tax ie for £10 of fuel, £8 is tax!!!!!

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

Abzynthe

Reaction score
2retro said:
Abzynthe said:
It's a BMW, you can afford it! :lol: