What's new
Peugeot RCZ Forum

Register a free account today to become a member. It's free! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, connect with other members through your own private inbox and take part in competitions!

*Resolved* Clunk during gearchange

A

Anonymous

Hi all,
Just a quickie for you all really. My 2012 2.0 HDi RCZ GT is due to go into the dealers on Monday for a clunking noise coming from the gearshifter.

It predominantly happens changing from 1st to 2nd and 2nd to 3rd and seems to be worse between 1100 and 1500rpm. The issue is also present in reverse. It seems to be coming from underneath the car, just forwards of the dashboard towards the passenger side and has started to get worse this last week or so hence me booking it in sharpish. The sound is similar to a suspension clunk in terms of noise when engaging foward gears but more of a 'click' in reverse which becomes more noticeable up inclines etc (i.e. when under more stress/load). The sound only seems to be present at lower speeds - stick it in 4th upwards or heading down the motorway and the noise doesn't seem to occur. You can create the noise whilst stationary also - depress the clutch, engage 1st/2nd/3rd and you can hear the clunk of doom! :helpme:

I just wondered if anyone had suffered anything similar to give me an idea at what I might be looking at. Hoping it's something simple like a mount or a bolt coming loose on a linkage somewhere and not a bigger clutch / gearbox issue. :(

Many thanks in advance! :thumbup:

A

Anonymous

Re: Clunk during gearchange

lufcfan said:
....a clunking noise coming from the gearshifter....

Try using the pedal on the left....it's called clutch!

I'm kidding :eusa-whistle:

Sounds like the synchrony-rings (no idea how they are called in English) of the gearbox are not working as supposed.
I would have it checked because it can damage the gearbox itself.

A

Anonymous

No such problems with mine and the same set up as you. Where have you got it booked into?

A

Anonymous

It's booked into JCT600 Peugeot Bradford for Monday morning. If they manage to work out what it is then I'll post it back up in here in the event that anyone else has the misfortune to have this particular problem :(

A

Anonymous

Some audio clips of the sound it makes. The first is in 1st, 2nd and 3rd gear between 1200-1500RPM. The second is in reverse at around 1100-1200RPM.

I've had to boost the volume so it sounds a bit psychedelic in parts but the rattling/clunking/popping sound is clearly audible. The more I hear it the more I'm thinking that the gearbox is toast - but I guess we'll find out Pugs take on it tomorrow! :thumbdown:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bEgk8nKyafY[/youtube]

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0pWPrblheq0[/youtube]

:helpme: :police: :brickwall:

====================================================================

EDIT: Today the car went in to Peugeot to inspect the noise. Turns out the culprit was caused by one of Bradfords most overly-used and stupid pieces of street furniture - the f*#@%$! Speed Bump! Apparently the catalytic converter heat shield had been partially smashed off and had impaled itself through an engine mount resulting in the god-awful noise witnessed above!

A couple of bits later and the big cat is back purring like her usual self - but I think Bradford Council may be receiving an email with my thoughts regarding their use of overly-large speed bumps - particularly those with bloody big potholes behind them which is where I believe this may have happened a couple of weeks back when I went down past West Bowling community centre and bounced over one particular hump with an almighty wallop! NOT impressed! :evil:

...That said I was impressed with JCT - took it in and a couple of hours later she was all done and ready for me to collect and done under warranty when to be fair they could have stung me for it! All I know is it's great to have the motor back to its best again! :dance: :thumbup: :D