What's new
Peugeot RCZ Forum

Register a free account today to become a member. It's free! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, connect with other members through your own private inbox and take part in competitions!

Redex mis-application!

wilsofar

Reaction score
Had a brain fade whilst cleaning/checking out my new 156.

I found a half bottle of recently purchased Redex, so I thought I would empty it in somehow assuming that there was a decent amount of fuel in the tank.

WRONG! There was just 30 miles left.

On starting up sounded like an old fashioned large measure of choke and poor running and of course the Engine Management Light came on.

Filled the tank full of Tesco Momentum and although I can drive it without too much problem it is still running oddly,and when I boot it it sounds as if the air filter has been removed and emits quite a rorty sound (I've only just got the car so it might have done that anyway -anybody?)

Has anyone done similar and how long will it take to get back to normality and will it run better once the EML has been reset.

I feel such a fool -the RCZ has enough underlying problems without me creating more!
Will there be any lasting damage?

tianorth

Reaction score
I thought that the additive would have been more prone to ignition (better than fuel).
It may just have been waiting to do that anyway and adding the additive was just coincidence.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

Reaction score
Dont put anything in petrol it has aditives in it already ...

DKZ5745

Reaction score
I have added half a bottle of redex to every full tank for the last 5 years.

Reaction score
Petrol company buys gasoline at refinery adds aditives for better combustion, and against deposits, so its already in it ...
Dont waste money, same for fuel put cheapest, if you put most expensive in R it will gain 3 hp ...
All fuel is made on EU standard

DKZ5745

Reaction score
It has been proven many times that "supermarket fuel" can have harmful effects on engines, especially performance ones. Water has been found in supermarket fuel, along with other contaminants.

When petrol companies go to great lengths to develop higher octane fuels, often for use in extreme conditions such as F1, I for one will always be prepared to pay a small premium, even if the benefits are relatively small.

If you don't want to get that little bit more HP from your engine, buy a Nissan Micra, they have a bit more room inside them too, and the suspension is a bit more comfortable, so you wont spill your cup of tea while driving.
If however, you bought an RCZ for performance, as well as looks, I don't understand why you wouldn't try anything and everything to improve that, even if its only in a few small measures, such as better air filter (proven small gain) higher octane fuel (proven small gain).

I would love to put on lower suspension, swap the exhaust for a straight through racing version with quad tips, put in a larger turbo etc etc, however, life gets in the way of dreams sometimes, so every little small gain that I can do, I will.

Maybe its a nationality thing, I don't mind being given advice, especially from people who know what they are talking about, but I'm not quite so keen on being told what I should do or not do with my car.

We did have a member some time ago that continuously tried that, he was called Wrapper

RCZ-R

Reaction score
I have been using only Shell vpower or BP ultimate fuels in my RCZ (ok, maybe once or twice something else, especially in those deep countryside areas) but still the engine/injectors got clogged. This cannot be entirely prevented. Even with my driving profile with over 80% on autobahns and high speed pace.

Since weeks I am applying some fuel add-ons and it helps. The injectors got free and the engine runs a bit better. Performance-wise as well.

Now I am up to the next step, to decoke the intake. I still have to find a shop doing that. Germany is not a service-friendly environment. They are good at selling things. But not at fixing. They would gladly sell me a new engine head + intake, no problem :lol:

Plecodoras

Reaction score
DKZ5745 said:
It has been proven many times that "supermarket fuel" can have harmful effects on engines, especially performance ones. Water has been found in supermarket fuel, along with other contaminants.

When petrol companies go to great lengths to develop higher octane fuels, often for use in extreme conditions such as F1, I for one will always be prepared to pay a small premium, even if the benefits are relatively small.

If you don't want to get that little bit more HP from your engine, buy a Nissan Micra, they have a bit more room inside them too, and the suspension is a bit more comfortable, so you wont spill your cup of tea while driving.
If however, you bought an RCZ for performance, as well as looks, I don't understand why you wouldn't try anything and everything to improve that, even if its only in a few small measures, such as better air filter (proven small gain) higher octane fuel (proven small gain).

I would love to put on lower suspension, swap the exhaust for a straight through racing version with quad tips, put in a larger turbo etc etc, however, life gets in the way of dreams sometimes, so every little small gain that I can do, I will.

Maybe its a nationality thing, I don't mind being given advice, especially from people who know what they are talking about, but I'm not quite so keen on being told what I should do or not do with my car.

We did have a member some time ago that continuously tried that, he was called Wrapper

Yeah and we all know what happened to him .......

As the back benchers say " here here " ! :thumbup:

stewartwillsher

Reaction score
Plecodoras said:
DKZ5745 said:

Yeah and we all know what happened to him .......

As the back benchers say " here here " ! :thumbup:
FOILED! :lol:

ONLY AEK

Reaction score
666 said:
Petrol company buys gasoline at refinery adds aditives for better combustion, and against deposits, so its already in it ...
Dont waste money, same for fuel put cheapest, if you put most expensive in R it will gain 3 hp ...
All fuel is made on EU standard

i dont know how things are in your country but it is proven many times that fuels are not the same everywhere
in my country you find differences from shop to shop even if they all are shell's shops

maybe you live in paradise, maybe its the first time you bought a car and have your own theories but as i said previously in another thread you cant be more wrong

stewartwillsher

Reaction score
Once upon a time, in the days of tiger tails and fluffy dice and chequered go-faster tape, the other must have adornment was an oval STP sticker.
I don't think many knew what STP was and even my knowledge was limited to Americans using it as an additive, similarly to Redex.
Am I right on that?