What's new
Peugeot RCZ Forum

Register a free account today to become a member. It's free! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, connect with other members through your own private inbox and take part in competitions!

Red Calliper + wheel clean

A

Anonymous

Decided to strip off the wheels, paint the callipers and give the old 18s some much deserved attention.
I have had the hubs and discs replaced by Perrys MK since these pics. I couldnt begin to tell you how great they are. All warranty work undretaken plus numerous phone calls with aftercare service. :beer:

Attachments

• P5.JPG
    P5.JPG
    134.7 KB · Views: 1,610
  • P6.JPG
    P6.JPG
    131.3 KB · Views: 1,610
  • P7.JPG
    P7.JPG
    100.1 KB · Views: 1,610
  • P8.JPG
    P8.JPG
    120.2 KB · Views: 1,610

RCZ1

Reaction score
Hi, I think this looks great. I was thinking of painting my callipers red, come Spring. What did you use?

A

Anonymous

I believe it was called Foliatec. I did 3 thin layer coats leaving adequate drying time inbetween. I would say make sure the surface you are painting is clean and silicone free as it doesn't take much for this paint to react. I bought a trolley jack makes life so much easier.

pete.garratt

Reaction score
Slightly off-topic (apologies) but it made me think about how easy it is to clean the inside of the standard Solstice wheels. Admittedly, mine are 19", but I find a good wheel brush can clean most of the surfaces. I also have a smaller brush I've bent at right angles half way along it's length. With this, I can clean the back of the 'spokes' and the inner rim.

Finally, my hands are just about small enough to actually reach inside the larger gap - which is useful, although I recognise not all would be able to do that.

Then again, surface rust on the disk hubs can kind of spoil the effect.

Maybe I'll get the Hammerite out when we get a good weekend!

Still, it means I can give my wheels a good clean regularly.

Back on topic now, this kind of thing is what decided me on the black caliper option. OK, it's not everyone's colour but I think it goes with Shark Grey alright.

A

Anonymous

pete.garratt said:
Back on topic now, this kind of thing is what decided me on the black caliper option. OK, it's not everyone's colour but I think it goes with Shark Grey alright.
I ordered mine with Black callipers. Not sure that I would have liked any other colour. Keeping my wheels with as new look is as easy as you say :thumbup:

pete.garratt

Reaction score
Regarding colour, red or sometimes yellow can look good with a plain white, depending on other trim and interior colours.

I guess black was a safe option.

A

Anonymous

Mine are currently rusted up. I have the silver hammerite sitting in the boot. Just waiting to get to my parents place to whip off all the wheels, get them cleaned up proper (dad owns a pressure washer) and get the calipers painted.

Any advice for the actual process of painting the calipers? Any problems that you came across?

RCZ1

Reaction score
pete.garratt said:
Slightly off-topic (apologies) but it made me think about how easy it is to clean the inside of the standard Solstice wheels. Admittedly, mine are 19", but I find a good wheel brush can clean most of the surfaces. I also have a smaller brush I've bent at right angles half way along it's length. With this, I can clean the back of the 'spokes' and the inner rim.

Finally, my hands are just about small enough to actually reach inside the larger gap - which is useful, although I recognise not all would be able to do that.

Then again, surface rust on the disk hubs can kind of spoil the effect.

Maybe I'll get the Hammerite out when we get a good weekend!

Still, it means I can give my wheels a good clean regularly.

Slightly off topic again - I have the same brush I think - EZ brush. It's really good at cleaning the back of the rims and the rear spokes. I have a variety of brushes to clean different parts of the wheels, getting into all nooks and crannies. Makes cleaning wheels a doddle. :thumbdown:

A

Anonymous

The look really smart! Think red calipers might look a bit naff on mine though .... :(

A

Anonymous

xzibit206 said:
Mine are currently rusted up. I have the silver hammerite sitting in the boot. Just waiting to get to my parents place to whip off all the wheels, get them cleaned up proper (dad owns a pressure washer) and get the calipers painted.

Any advice for the actual process of painting the calipers? Any problems that you came across?

Very simple to do nice steady hand & a good brush. If yours are rusty you will need a wire brush to clean off any excess. Also get some protection under the wheels you are painting as this stuff will stain the driveway. Leave plenty of time on a dry day and if you want to be quick get some axel stands to do more than 1 at a time. Simples :)

A

Anonymous

That's fine, I've got several wire brushes that I use when welding. I'll just do it out on the road, no need to worry about staining anything then

A

Anonymous

All you need to get your calipers looking great is a small pot of signal red paint from Wilko, about £3.50. mine were painted last March & still look good. My last car, BMW sport coupe had them painted red for 8 years, no problems.