What's new
Peugeot RCZ Forum

Register a free account today to become a member. It's free! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, connect with other members through your own private inbox and take part in competitions!

Rear view mirror too dark

A

Anonymous

It might be me, but I find when the rear view mirror auto tints it gets way too dark

Anyone else notice this ? I presume it can't be adjusted ?

A

Anonymous

Just have to get used to it! Thank gawd for reversing sensors when it's dark....... :eusa-whistle:

Abzynthe

Reaction score
PeterRCZ said:
It might be me, but I find when the rear view mirror auto tints it gets way too dark

Anyone else notice this ? I presume it can't be adjusted ?

Its supposed to be the same as the old flip mirrors. When you flipped it, all you could see was the white dots of headlights behind you.
Its easy to get used to, but I have noticed it is very sensitive.

A

Anonymous

donnaj1dlh said:
Just have to get used to it! Thank gawd for reversing sensors when it's dark....... :eusa-whistle:

Is it just me that's more concerned about how difficult it is to spot police cars marked and unmarked from dusk 'til dawn?! :eek:

A

Anonymous

Snowy87 said:
This is definately not one of Peugeots greatest extras. In fact it is quite dangerous as you cannot see cyclists or other road users in traffic. :thumbdown:

Completely agree. You should be able to override it.

A

Anonymous

Completely agree with snowy87

You could disable it by sticking a little black electrical tape over the sensor just below the mirror I guess that would keep it in non tint mode permanently

Jimbrodie1

Reaction score
I think you'll find that if you put tape on it, it will think it is dark all of the time and so will be in dark tint mode all of the time making it worse.

However I may be wrong :?:

Must say my wife hates it. However it doesn't bother me as I'm usually more interested in what's in front of me than what's behind me :D :D

RCZ1

Reaction score
Jimbrodie1 said:
I think you'll find that if you put tape on it, it will think it is dark all of the time and so will be in dark tint mode all of the time making it worse.

However I may be wrong :?:

Must say my wife hates it. However it doesn't bother me as I'm usually more interested in what's in front of me than what's behind me :D :D

I agree with Jim. It doesn't bother me :)

A

Anonymous

I would have thought the tape would fool the mirror into thinking its dark and In turn it would not tint any further. I'll have a go and let you know my results

A

Anonymous

Okay tried it out and here are my findings. Stick your thumb over the sensor and the mirror lightens. So there's the solution !
No not your thumb ! Use some electrical tape lol

A

Anonymous

This really has never bothered me, in fact, I've never even noticed an issue. Need to try this!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

A

Anonymous

PeterRCZ said:
Okay tried it out and here are my findings. Stick your thumb over the sensor and the mirror lightens. So there's the solution !
No not your thumb ! Use some electrical tape lol

Top testing..now we just need something a little more aesthetically pleasing than electrical tape.

A

Anonymous

Put a tiny piece of black electrical tape over the mirror sensor today. Looks fine, barely noticeable at all
Definitely worth doing if you find the auto tint too sensitive :thumbup:

A

Anonymous

If you use some of that "Smoked lens" stuff for wrapping rear lights it decreases the sensitivity a lot.

A

Anonymous

I think the issue only comes up as the rear window is already slightly tinted. This makes it look even darker, I would assume without this the setting would be fine as is. Simple oversight during implementation :)
I will also go for the tape today, thanks for the tip :)

DKZ5745

Reaction score
Never noticed it, nothin ever catches me up :auto-car:

Just sayin :eusa-whistle:

A

Anonymous

I agree, it is one of the 2 things I'd change about the car (other thing is adding a heated front screen). All it needs is a simple on/off switch so you can disable the auto dim... I like to be able to cx for police cars etc and it also makes depth perception harder when joining the motorway etc... Much nicer to be able to switch it, something which both my Jag and Octy allow...!

Bet it could be modified with a switch to remove power if you could get into it... :eusa-think:

A

Anonymous

I also find this quite annoying at night, just sorted mine out tonight.

Grab the whole neck of the mirror where it enters the plastic box on the windscreen and twist it anticlockwise as you look up at it (it's a bayonet mounting). This does require reasonable force.
Lower mirror assembly down & disconnect the three wire multi-plug, tuck this neatly into the hole out of the way.
Replace the mirror assembly the reverse of removal, note that the mirror must engage with the triangular nut on the glass, not just the plastic trim - this requires some effort!

All fixed now - no dimming at all.

thornebt

Reaction score
gman76 said:
I also find this quite annoying at night, just sorted mine out tonight.

Grab the whole neck of the mirror where it enters the plastic box on the windscreen and twist it anticlockwise as you look up at it (it's a bayonet mounting). This does require reasonable force.
Lower mirror assembly down & disconnect the three wire multi-plug, tuck this neatly into the hole out of the way.
Replace the mirror assembly the reverse of removal, note that the mirror must engage with the triangular nut on the glass, not just the plastic trim - this requires some effort!

All fixed now - no dimming at all.

Thanks. That's a top tip - sounds better than sticking tape on the screen. I also find the dimmed mirror too dark. It's just about the only feature I don't like on the RCZ.