What's new
Peugeot RCZ Forum

Register a free account today to become a member. It's free! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, connect with other members through your own private inbox and take part in competitions!

RCZ THP200 transmission oil change.

French Letter

Reaction score
Hi All, I spent an arduous morning doing the above oil change.
Phew! To get to the filler plug is horrendous. Battery removal was time consuming. Finally at the filler hole and disconnect one of the two gear linkages.

Underneath, easy-peasy. In the attached video the dude removed his cross member. I didn't, as I used a slimmer long socket. Duh!

I would say that about 1.5 litres came out, looking brown, as in the video. No metal filings on the magnet topped plug, but a layer of grunge. I put back 2.2 litres of this stuff.

I am aware that manufactures do not fill tranny boxes to spec fill. Seen it before. They might save half a litre on each car, but if they make 100,000, then that's 50,000 litres!

Took the RCZ for a spin, and yes the shifts are smoother and more precise. It is the precision that I noticed and liked the most. THP200 has just turned over 52,000 klicks (32,500 miles).

Last edited:

RCZIain

Staff member
Reaction score
I did mine, but don't recall disconnecting any gear linkages.
Just drained the old oil, using tin foil as a "chute" then popped the cap off the top of the gearbox and filled it back up using a long, flexible tubed funnel.
Didn't change the crush washer either, just torched it red hot then refitted it.

Verbaliser

Reaction score
Just did mine today (156). Just took intake bit with the cowl off and could just reach filler. Linkage not necessary to remove, just gives you a bit more room to get filler cap off. Put 2l of fuchs sintofluid (£20). Re-used the crush washer - just flat it on some fine grade sandpaper

Bobby D

Reaction score
Changed my Automatic gearbox oil at the weekend. Used Triple QX ATF. Copied the procedure used by Volvo mechanic on Utube. (Flushed it through three times.)

RCZ-R

Reaction score
I also strongly recommend to change gearbox's oil on a regular basis.
I did it twice on my R, despite claims from Pug it is a lifetime fill not required to be changed. Yeah right, thank you.

The cogs are not the weak spot in a gearbox. They will run almost forever, even with bad oil or hardly any oil. But the bearings suffer the most. They need a clean and "healthy" oil (where the additives are still doing their work).

Marmite

Reaction score
I did it twice on my R, despite claims from Pug it is a lifetime fill not required to be changed. Yeah right, thank you.

The cogs are not the weak spot in a gearbox. They will run almost forever, even with bad oil or hardly any oil. But the bearings suffer the most. They need a clean and "healthy" oil (where the additives are still doing their work).
What grade oil do you recommend

Pedro

Reaction score
Always change the crush washer no matter what the car is this is why you can't release sump G/box plugs because some bright spark has reused a flattened off washer & torqued it to death I know from experience as per the Ford Fiat Vauxhalls Vags etc I have been stuck under engines/boxes trying to get them out
They are called "Crush washers for a specific manufacturers reason" 👀🚩😑

Flanners

Reaction score

Did you/or was the gearbox oil change on the RCZR ever cleared up? I see that the 308GTi 270 has a bi-annual gearbox oil change on their service schedule but not the R, with the same/similar gb and Torsen?

Given your advice, although lower mileage I am going to get the gearbox oil changed at the next service which is a Major, spoke to Pug Warranty and as long as I have a documented receipt and use OE/equiv parts the Warranty on my car will be honoured in a claim. Servicing does not require a VAT registered receipt only when repairs.

The MD I usually use quoted Fixed price servicing of £399 but when asked if that included the plugs, new brake fluid etc and could this be documented prior to the Service.....the communication went quiet....MD tactic I know......so I will get my trusted local chap to document and undertake the service for me, oil, oil filter, cabin filter, new brake fluid and gb oil change and then renew the Warranty at the end of next month.

We're going for the PSA Total oil and gb oil, a genuine oil filter, Bosch carbon cabin filter and some decent brake fluid.

RCZ-R

Reaction score
No, never. The German service held to the statement, the oil does not need to be changed over the course of R ownership.

Looks like they have changed their mind since then. I put some stress on that gearbox during my ownership. All those 155 MPH runs, the long & high speed trips, few trips to the Alps, two outings on a race track, etc.
The oil that came out was burnt like McDonald's Friday chips oil.

Claret63

Reaction score
Did you/or was the gearbox oil change on the RCZR ever cleared up? I see that the 308GTi 270 has a bi-annual gearbox oil change on their service schedule but not the R, with the same/similar gb and Torsen?

Given your advice, although lower mileage I am going to get the gearbox oil changed at the next service which is a Major, spoke to Pug Warranty and as long as I have a documented receipt and use OE/equiv parts the Warranty on my car will be honoured in a claim. Servicing does not require a VAT registered receipt only when repairs.

The MD I usually use quoted Fixed price servicing of £399 but when asked if that included the plugs, new brake fluid etc and could this be documented prior to the Service.....the communication went quiet....MD tactic I know......so I will get my trusted local chap to document and undertake the service for me, oil, oil filter, cabin filter, new brake fluid and gb oil change and then renew the Warranty at the end of next month.

We're going for the PSA Total oil and gb oil, a genuine oil filter, Bosch carbon cabin filter and some decent brake fluid.
Going to do mine myself after reading this thread, do you know the capacity for the oil ?

Pedro

Reaction score
The G/Box oil in these cars is not infinite when I changed mine there was a lumps of sludge inside on top of the drainplug & Total is about right as cold start protection specification is obviously more efficient

Petrus Doyle

Reaction score
Just did mine today (156). Just took intake bit with the cowl off and could just reach filler. Linkage not necessary to remove, just gives you a bit more room to get filler cap off. Put 2l of fuchs sintofluid (£20). Re-used the crush washer - just flat it on some fine grade sandpaper
This is intresting reading, I have a 156 with 42,000 miles. When is a gearbox oil change reccomended please?

Pedro

Reaction score
This is intresting reading, I have a 156 with 42,000 miles. When is a gearbox oil change reccomended please?
Peugeot state its lifetime & never needs changing but hey what do we know mine had sludge on the drain plug on 50.023 Klms !

Claret63

Reaction score
No, never. The German service held to the statement, the oil does not need to be changed over the course of R ownership.

Looks like they have changed their mind since then. I put some stress on that gearbox during my ownership. All those 155 MPH runs, the long & high speed trips, few trips to the Alps, two outings on a race track, etc.
The oil that came out was burnt like McDonald's Friday chips oil.
Does the LSD on the R share the oil with the gearbox?