What's new
Peugeot RCZ Forum

Register a free account today to become a member. It's free! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, connect with other members through your own private inbox and take part in competitions!

RCZ side lights on when car is off help

Kash2001

Reaction score
Hello everyone, this looks a fantastic forum full of great info and help from knowledgeable people on the RCZ.

My wife purchased a 2010 2ltr diesel a month ago and she loves it and its a great drive. However we have had a lot of rain and flooding has been difficult to avoid.

Yesterday evening she was going to drive the car to work, but it wouldn't start. The engine just clicked, the sidelights refused to turn off and the clock span like a windmill apparently!

She had to leave the car overnight with the sidelights on as the car refused to turn them off. We managed to get the windows almost shut using a battery booster connected to the car.

The rac came out to check it this morning at 7am. They think it's the Body management system sensor has become faulty. The car now starts and we've run it a while to charge the battery, we'll be disconnecting the battery each time weve used the car to protect the battery as the sidelights just won't turn off.

Is there an easy fix for this as all garages are booked for almost a month round us! As the weather has been harsh.

The only thing electrical we've done is replace 3 leds in the interior curtsy lights as one had blown and so we replaced all 3 leds. Although, just the interior lights were replaced, could this confuse the body management system enough to stop the car starting and force the side lights to stay on.

Any help would be fantastic as we just can't get the car to a garage for around a month and she really needs the car up and running.

Many thanks in advance for any advise on the above.

Atb

2retro

Reaction score
Hi and welcome to the forum!

You could try a BSI reset and see if that resolves the issue first as it has been known to fix a multitude of errors...

Here is the correct procedure:

- Put the driver's window down, lift the bonnet & ensure all equipment is switched off.

- Ensure all doors are closed and remove the key from the ignition,

- Wait 3 minutes, disconnect the vehicle battery & wait 15 seconds.

- Reconnect battery, wait a further 10 seconds (do not open doors)

- Switch on the side lights through the driver's window.

- Switch on the ignition & check systems functionality.

- Hold the lock button on the key down for 10 seconds.

- Remove the key open & close the door, and test the central locking system.

- Start the engine & complete the system check.

Failure to follow this procedure could result in the incorrect operation of many BSI related items.

Let us know if this helps. 👍

Kash2001

Reaction score
Well that's crazy, what a procedure to reset, but thank you so much for the info, I'll give it a try when it's not hammering with rain 👍

Your help is greatly appreeciated and so quickly, just awesome.

I'll let you know once tried as it may help others.

If it is the leds are there any recommended? as these seem much brighter than the originals, I'll take them out later and see if that makes a difference too.

Atb

Last edited:

lfe

Reaction score
I had a problem with a Chinese LED bulb for the interior lighting that the previous owner had installed.
The bulb had moved and was shorting out.
I reinstalled the original incandescent lamps that he also gave me.

Kash2001

Reaction score
Hello again all, I had a good look again and it appears the new leds are upsetting the body management system.

I put back the 'original' 2 working leds back in and the sidelights went off, so I'm assuming it's the "bay of e" leds at issue as all works fine now 🤔 the leds bought are these... 133907664820 from the bay of e, which seemed to be correct for the RCZ.

Is there a recommended led supplier that have green less for the curtsy roof lights that I could buy from?

Again any advice welcome as to sorting this electrical issue.

Atb

Pedro

Reaction score
I changed all my interior bulbs to led with no issues bought off ebay but they came from Germany & were slightly dearer than the one's from China

Kash2001

Reaction score
Hi again all, thank you for the useful advice but I now have an issue with the parking light staying on 😕

So I put new canbus leds and they have stopped the car from disabling itself and all seemed well.

But! the car now occasionally when turning the car off the parking light (front left) side light stays on. Not both as before but just that one?

Would this still be a ecu management issue with the interior lights? I did read the canbus lights could be an issue, so could anyone kindly recommend the type of leds for the 3 center head unit curtsy lights!

Many thanks for you help.

Atb

lfe

Reaction score
The possible problem with LED bulbs is that by consuming much less the ECU believes that they are not working.

You should avoid bulbs like the ones in the photo since they can be crossed and short-circuited since they do not have any protrusion between the contacts.

If you want something safe, put the original bulbs back.

Attachments

• led_.jpg
    led_.jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 4

Kash2001

Reaction score
Thanks for the info, the leds don't look like the ones in the pic, but get the point.

I would put the bulbs back but 2 have died, hence looking for either original or aftermarket replacements. Unfortunately the world of bulbs is massive and not sure where to go online to pick up some good green lights to match the footwell, as I've tried 2 types and neither have worked 100%

If anyone has a link it would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks

Pedro

Reaction score
The ancillaries like lights etc are controlled by the BSI you could try a reset ?

Kash2001

Reaction score
Hi thanks Pedro, so I've tried both leds and bulbs and nothing seems to be consistent.

I sometimes get the passenger side light on, or buzzing from the middle big fuse 🤔at the back of the fuse box. Or on occasions it turns of and plays nice!

It seems to be random, but I can't see how? Very frustrating I'm going to replace the interior light fitment in case this is shorting it out. Getting the fitment out is tough but it's my next go to as the middle light never had a bulb and I can only assume the last owner had issues too.

Be pleased to put this to rest, but at present it drains the battery when the side light randomly comes on when the car is turned off.

I've done a few resets of the computer system but when the fuse box rocker fitment buzzes only by disconnecting it and reconnecting later stops this.

I thought this would be easy, how wrong can you be!

Atb

Pedro

Reaction score
When you say side light do you mean the interior or the daylight running lights ?
When your turning the car off & the lights are on then normally a relay is faulty as its not switching off the power supply when the system is shut down

Kash2001

Reaction score
Hi Predro thanks for the response, it's the exterior passenger side light not the interior light that comes on.

It appears from trial and error that the interior light when moved does have an effect on the exterior passenger side light coming on when the car is locked and turned off.

The fuse box middle back junction also buzzes when lights are put in the current courtesy light fitment. Hence I think the interior fitment is faulty so I'm looking to replace it, but it's a devil to get out!

I've tried bulbs and leds and all have the same issue, either the engine fuse box buzzes or the passenger front side light comes on as soon as the engine is turned off.

It is a headache for sure, as it seems a constant drain on the battery, at present we've take all the courtesy lights out all 3 of them, and no buzzing happens from the fuse box nor side light comes on.

DKZ5745

Reaction score
I had an encounter with LED bulbs. I decided to change the standard tail/stop lights to LED to match the LED surrounding lights. The company was recommended to me, and assured me they were canbus, but after fitting, the surrounding LED’s went out. I contacted the company @ they changed them for me at their expense.
The new bulbs were “definitely compatible” with my 2013 GT200. This time, the surrounding LED’s stayed on, but went dim. I contacted them again & they said they couldn’t supply anything that would work, so gave me a refund.

They told me that both of the types of bulb supplied had previously worked for other RCZ owners, albeit different years & possibly different models.

It appears that it could even be down to individual cars.

I gave up & put the original bulbs back in.

Kash2001

Reaction score
Thanks for the response much appreciated, I've taken the bulbs out, but on occasion the passenger side light comes on and other times it doesn't 😒

I'm awaiting the other interior light fitment but i think it's going to be a nightmare getting the old one out.

Someone said it might be a resistor or relay, but I think if the fitment doesn't fix it, I'll have to send it to an electrician to fix it as I don't know where to look for the relay 🙄 and where do you get a new one?

Anyway I'll keep trying and if I fix it I'll let you all know as others are likely to have the same issue for sure...

Any further thoughts welcome.

Atb

Pedro

Reaction score
I may be wrong but I would be surprised if a faulty interior light fitting would keep the daytime running lights on?

Kash2001

Reaction score
Yes my thoughts to hence my ordering another, I had to send one replacement back as the surround had been badly damaged by a screwdriver trying to get it out 🙄

So I have another coming, but I can't seem to get any info on the relay or what the 3 big fuses are the middle one of which buzzes if a light bulb is put in the interior light sockets.

Kash2001

Reaction score
Hi all, I thought I'd updated this thread as to the side light being on when car was off.

So the new interior light was replaced and the car side light went off and the buzzing noise from the fuse box stopped and all worked well. 👍

So no issues then 😏 if only. So I had a sat nav double din installed professionally by a local garage. Again the side light and fuse box buzz is back 🤦‍♂️

I'd read that this could be due to an earthing cable to gearbox issue, either rotting or weak connection. But I can't see this being the cause here. As this is to coincidental, that twice its a electrical change that causes this issue.

What a nightmare, you can't do anything to the car without it wanting to drain the battery and warn on anything done to it.

Oddly it didn't start immediately it took about a week to start showing the light when turned off and buzzing. So is something now draining the battery and that's causing the warning to turn on?

It does seem very adhoc, only that now the side light is on and buzzing from the middle rocker fuse at the back of the box when the car is off, is now continually occurring, which in turn drains the battery.

Lifting the rocker stops the buzz and the car still locks and light goes off, but it's not a long term solution to this problem.

Any further help on how to fix this would be great 🙏

Atvb

neilgsxr69

Staff member
Reaction score
Did the issue start as soon as the double din was powered up?

Kash2001

Reaction score
Not 100% sure but certainly on the 1st drive out. The wife went to local town and it was raining and when she locked it the light went on and buzzed.

It remains on all the time now even when driving. I've checked the fault report and it now says error with side light, but its on and appears OK as it won't turn off.

Since the installation I've notice something else although why it's damaged I don't know but not sure where the cable leads but it's been cut into or abraded by something and not noticed it before...

Any thoughts or help in this would be very much appreciated..

Atb

Attachments

• IMG_20230316_144711.jpg
    IMG_20230316_144711.jpg
    77 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_20230316_144717_1.jpg
    IMG_20230316_144717_1.jpg
    56.2 KB · Views: 9