What's new
Peugeot RCZ Forum

Register a free account today to become a member. It's free! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, connect with other members through your own private inbox and take part in competitions!

RCZ R vs Cayman PDK (race track review)

RCZ-R

Reaction score
Hi,

a german motor magazine put the RCZ R against the Porsch Cayman PDK on a race track. The porsch was equipped with PASM and the LSD beside the PDK gearbox.
Full disclosure: the RCZ R wins!

One might say, so what? But considering the fact a porsch is treated like a holy cow in Germany, they never let any car win against a porsch. As they wrap up the test they say, the RCZ is quicker (not only on the race track), drives well and is cheaper. So there is nothing to add to it and the Pug wins. Nice one!

Few figures from the test:

Race track time
RCZ R 1:40,40
Cayman: 1:40,85

The RCZ R is quicker than TTS (by 2,4 sec!), the previous Cayman S (by 0,2 sec) and is very close to the iconic BMW 1M coupe (0,2 sec slower)
It also wipes the floor with cars like the new S3, Golf R, AMG CLA45.

Acceleration times (RCZ R vs Cay)

0-62
5,7 sec vs 5,5 sec (R is 0,2 sec quicker than listed / the Cayman was equipped with PDK with launch control)

0-125
21,4 sec vs 21,6 sec (R is pulling away beyond 125mph)

In gear acceleration

37-62 in 4th gear (it is like 40-60mph in UK magazines)
4,1 sec vs 6,4 sec

50-75 in 5th gear
5,3 sec vs 8,4 sec

Overall they say RCZ’s motor pulls very strong. Especially the in-gear acceleration of RCZ is way better than in the porsch. No surprise, it is a turbo’ed engine.

cheers

A

Anonymous

still surprising though! will be interesting to see what Audi do with the 3rd gen TT now!

RCZ-R

Reaction score
Figo said:
still surprising though! will be interesting to see what Audi do with the 3rd gen TT now!

I don't expect the new TT to become as a "hardcore" racer as the RCZ R. After having a test drive in the new S3 I was very disappointed. The car is more GT than "racey". The driving experience is very dull. A Golf GTI standard is more fun. Especially when pushing the S3 to its limit it reveals a very nasty and annoying constant change between under and oversteer with an on-off switch of the 4wheel drive. One cannot maintain a clean line with that car close to the limit. It is a pure motorway stormer only. And even for that purpose it felt wimpy. There is no serious grunt. I was asking myself, why pay so much money for so less fun?
So based on that S3, I do not expect the new TT to be honed for pure speed but more for like 80% driving experience. If someone is happy with that attitude, it will find its buyers.

A

Anonymous

RCZ-R said:
Figo said:

I don't expect the new TT to become as a "hardcore" racer as the RCZ R. After having a test drive in the new S3 I was very disappointed. The car is more GT than "racey". The driving experience is very dull. A Golf GTI standard is more fun. Especially when pushing the S3 to its limit it reveals a very nasty and annoying constant change between under and oversteer with an on-off switch of the 4wheel drive. One cannot maintain a clean line with that car close to the limit. It is a pure motorway stormer only. And even for that purpose it felt wimpy. There is no serious grunt. I was asking myself, why pay so much money for so less fun?
So based on that S3, I do not expect the new TT to be honed for pure speed but more for like 80% driving experience. If someone is happy with that attitude, it will find its buyers.

Have you taken your R on the track? I've watched a few vids (as they arent available here for a test drive) of the R and from what I can pick up its got very little understeer with plenty of lift-off oversteer? Not something I would give to the wife on a rainy day to quickly take to the shop on the corner.... Having said that, presume a pretty aggressive TCS\ESP system should keep the nose pointing in the right direction for the inexperienced?

RCZ-R

Reaction score
MaX83 said:
Have you taken your R on the track? I've watched a few vids (as they arent available here for a test drive) of the R and from what I can pick up its got very little understeer with plenty of lift-off oversteer? Not something I would give to the wife on a rainy day to quickly take to the shop on the corner.... Having said that, presume a pretty aggressive TCS\ESP system should keep the nose pointing in the right direction for the inexperienced?

I'd love to and will do, but still waiting for the car :| (see my signature).
According to EVO magazine the R behaves quite well and planted in wet conditions. Peugeot has built a well sorted chassis.

I paid a visit to my pug dealer to take a look on a demo R sitting there in the entrance. And having had a closer look at the brakes (peeps were looking at me like at a weirdo as I was crawling by the wheels with my phone in the hand and flashing at the brakes to see details in dark, haha) it appears to me they have put Performance Friction pads on those big brakes at the front. If that is true, I'd be very happy. And race track ready :twisted:

A

Anonymous

I love the R. Seems like Peugeot Sport have made one heck of a car!