What's new
Peugeot RCZ Forum

Register a free account today to become a member. It's free! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, connect with other members through your own private inbox and take part in competitions!

RCZ new purchase, some advice please?

Doublebubblelover

Reaction score
Hi, I'm about to buy a 62 plate petrol 1.6 GT that looks absolutely condition and has 44k mileage. However I'm worried about all the talk I've heard about the timing chain - it hasn't been replaced despite regular servicing & I understand that it may not be a problem for the later models. Does mine, (registered Sept 2012) count as the earlier model?

I've already taken advice I've read on here in terms of things to check out before buying, such as the brake LEDs, jackpoints, spoiler and the like. Any others VERY gratefully received!

Thank you in advance
DBL

DKZ5745

Reaction score
A 62 plate will be a Mk1 so it will have the original type of timing chain tensioner. When you start the car from cold, listen to see if there is any kind of rattle. I’m pretty sure that not every Mk1 has suffered from the issue, and it may even depend on how well it’s oil levels have been managed, as even letting the oil level slip a little below the full mark seems to be a bad move for the Prince engine.
I suspect that a lot of cars that have had timing chain tensioner problems may have been allowed to have the low oil warning before being topped up. The Prince engine is known to use oil, and an owner not aware of this might have not noticed the level dropping.

Doublebubblelover

Reaction score
A 62 plate will be a Mk1 so it will have the original type of timing chain tensioner. When you start the car from cold, listen to see if there is any kind of rattle. I’m pretty sure that not every Mk1 has suffered from the issue, and it may even depend on how well it’s oil levels have been managed, as even letting the oil level slip a little below the full mark seems to be a bad move for the Prince engine.
I suspect that a lot of cars that have had timing chain tensioner problems may have been allowed to have the low oil warning before being topped up. The Prince engine is known to use oil, and an owner not aware of this might have not noticed the level dropping.
Thank you very much this is extremely helpful. I shall check this out on a cold engine for the test drive. I've ensured the timing chain is at least covered under a basic warranty for 3 months and will ensure the oil is at max!

Very helpful.

neilgsxr69

Staff member
Reaction score
If the timing kit needs changing it’s really as stated previously on that cold start up but will initially sound like a diesel motor for possibly 20-30 seconds then as the oil pressure builds it will go quiet, these engines do sound quite rattily if you have the bonnet up listening for noises so don’t over think it. Also the timing kit may have been changed and not documented.
Good luck and let us know how you get on 👍

Doublebubblelover

Reaction score
If the timing kit needs changing it’s really as stated previously on that cold start up but will initially sound like a diesel motor for possibly 20-30 seconds then as the oil pressure builds it will go quiet, these engines do sound quite rattily if you have the bonnet up listening for noises so don’t over think it. Also the timing kit may have been changed and not documented.
Good luck and let us know how you get on 👍
Telling me not to overthink it is like telling me not to breathe. 🤣🤣 I'm already considering abandoning the petrol version because I'm so paranoid, and my midlife crisis budget doesn't extend to a low mileage Mkii.

Thank you very much and I'll certainly post my new car on here, I've never been on a car forum before and this has been extremely helpful thus far 😄

neilgsxr69

Staff member
Reaction score
You would be just as happy with a diesel version, just remember that the majority of owners of petrol and diesel cars have relatively trouble free motoring, it’s just that owners who do have problems search out the solutions via forums so it makes things look worse than they are.

Doublebubblelover

Reaction score
20200215_115425.jpg
So I made the purchase, first petrol car since 1995, chose a 62 plate GT 200bhp 1.6 and hope those alloys don't attract too much attention 🤣

She is gorgeous, obviously.

Absolutely delighted. Thank you for your support in this forum so far 🙏🏽

Verminator

Staff member
Reaction score
Well what can I say you have a beautiful RCZ there hope you have many happy miles motoring. Enjoy all the rubber neckers and like all us RCZers Park well away from other cars in the car parks and looking over your shoulder at it with a big smile on your face...
Drive safe and stay lucky 🍀
Les n Co

neilgsxr69

Staff member
Reaction score
Beautiful looking Z 😍 it’s not just your alloys that will get attention you’ll notice how many folk will have a double take at your car!
Enjoy 😊

Jumper

Reaction score
Hi, I'm about to buy a 62 plate petrol 1.6 GT that looks absolutely condition and has 44k mileage. However I'm worried about all the talk I've heard about the timing chain - it hasn't been replaced despite regular servicing & I understand that it may not be a problem for the later models. Does mine, (registered Sept 2012) count as the earlier model?

I've already taken advice I've read on here in terms of things to check out before buying, such as the brake LEDs, jackpoints, spoiler and the like. Any others VERY gratefully received!

Thank you in advance
DBL
I have come to the conclusion after 12 months of ownership and using social media groups. That the timing chain issue is a problem on all petrol RCZs possibly a little less on the R model. 2014 cars have had to have it all replaced so the car really needs to have regular oil changes and visual via the dip stick oil checks and top ups. Low mile cars especially vulnerable as it's probably not had the chain replaced as yet. If worried get your local garage to replaced the tensioner only for the upgraded one.