What's new
Peugeot RCZ Forum

Register a free account today to become a member. It's free! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, connect with other members through your own private inbox and take part in competitions!

RCZ in snow and ice???

A

Anonymous

Right people, my order is due to go in within a matter of days but i might be having second thoughts :-(

Given the current weather conditions I wanted to know what the RCZ is like to drive in snow and ice as I understand it is front wheel drive.

How does it compare to a RWD car? Maybe I should get the TT quatro or the Q5? Soooooooooo confused :-/

Love to hear your thoughts and opinions please.

A

Anonymous

i recon its a typical front wheel drive in snow no better no worse, rear wheel drives not as good unless you carry lots of ballast in the boot. now if you want a snow car then 4 X 4 is best but they can still skid on snow and ice.

RCZ1

Reaction score
bee said:
i recon its a typical front wheel drive in snow no better no worse, rear wheel drives not as good unless you carry lots of ballast in the boot. now if you want a snow car then 4 X 4 is best but they can still skid on snow and ice.

How ever hard my hubby tries, he cannot get the wheels of his 4 x 4 to spin in the snow and ice. He's got a Land Rover Discovery 4 and has multiple settings for different driving conditions. Set it to snow and it just goes..... Its brilliant :!:
Totally off topic I know - naughty girl - go and write 400 hundred lines :eusa-whistle:

A

Anonymous

I've been reliably informed by people more savvy than me that FWD is better than RWD in snow. Neither can be called GOOD in ice but with the weight over the forward wheels in FWD apparently they get better grip. As for driving in NORMAL weather :lol: the RCZ is superb :dance: :thumbup: . Hope this helps.

A

Anonymous

well I went to the Audi garage today to take another look at the TT and Q5 both nice cars but I also popped into the Becks Peugeot to have another look at the RCZ. They have sold their black demo RCZ and replaced it for a white one and one glance at it and it was descision made :)

I don't care if it snows everyday for the next decade, hey I could always get some snow chains. I am getting the RCZ 100% it's sooooo sexual :p.

Apologies for even doubting my original choice, how silly of me lol.

Thanks guys ;-)

A

Anonymous

philbuk said:
well I went to the Audi garage today to take another look at the TT and Q5 both nice cars but I also popped into the Becks Peugeot to have another look at the RCZ. They have sold their black demo RCZ and replaced it for a white one and one glance at it and it was descision made :)

I don't care if it snows everyday for the next decade, hey I could always get some snow chains. I am getting the RCZ 100% it's sooooo sexual :p.

Apologies for even doubting my original choice, how silly of me lol.

Thanks guys ;-)
Well done, you'll be very happy with your choice :dance:

A

Anonymous

Wooh, not even considering taking my RCZ on the road at the mo as I live in a very rural area. Would probably be OK on main roads but no way am I risking sliding into a ditch, tractor, milk tanker or anything live that might decide to head out of a hedge in front of me. Using my £1800 ebay bargain Ford Maverick 2.0 - FABULOUS. My husband reckons it handles much better than his new Audi Q5! It's probably cost me just over £2K with insurance with 0% no claims' bonus as using that on the RCZ. Worth every penny.

A

Anonymous

Philbuk, sorry meant to mention, several neighbours in the past have had Audi TTs - I even considered one before getting the RCZ. There's now not a TT to be seen locally. All the owners we spoke to, said their nerves couldn't take the poor handling on the ungritted country roads. For urban driving then probably fine but for rural, forget it! Hopefully the RCZ will have better handling but, as just posted, I've got the best of both worlds :)

A

Anonymous

4WD does not automatically = good in snow.

There is no reason that on even mildly gritted roads you shouldnt be able to drive a FWD car safely.

My snow car at the moment is this.

140 Bhp, 4WD, No driver aids and Sports Tyres.

No problems.

other than the tyres the next biggest factor is this :lol:

Stay safe behind the whell, adhere to the conditions and pay attention to the road and you will be fine

A

Anonymous

my HDI GT is good in the snow and ice as long as u are careful

as usual be gentle on all the controls (well most of the time :eusa-whistle: )

A

Anonymous

technical bit here.. For snow 4WD is best followed by FWD and a definite NO NO is RWD. Take a look when the conditions are bad and you won't see and BMW's or Mercedes as they become tail happy. I currently have an A6 quattro (3.0 TFSI) and it is fine in current conditions but 4WD does not make you invincible ..in bad conditions you are just as likely to skid if ice is on the ground. Driving behaviour is what is key, low revs, minimal braking and smooth steering. I've lived and worked in both Canada and mid Europe and can vouch that it is the driving that makes the difference. And also before anyone asks..yes BMW and Mercedes can drive in those conditions but with Winter tyres and snow chains.

So to recap 4WD is best but you are not invincible, second best is FWD with RWD taking up the rear (or more likely the front once you've spun)

Remember also that French cars have to be built to cater for the French Alps :)

FGRob

Reaction score
adrian said:
So to recap 4WD is best but you are not invincible, second best is FWD with RWD taking up the rear (or more likely the front once you've spun)

Remember also that French cars have to be built to cater for the French Alps :)
Hi Adrian.

Yep agree but with one slight mod, 4WD are even better with "centre diff lock" did any one see the Top Gear report on the X5 up the grass bank. :eek:

Rob

A

Anonymous

Yep

Agree - the best 4WD by far is the old Landrover Defender/110/90 ...go anywhere vehicles

A

Anonymous

The RCZ is such a special car. I honestly knew the moment I stepped in it that it was the one for me.

Im sure it'll be fine in the snow my current astra twin top was fine and its a front wheel drive sports car similar to the RCZ

A

Anonymous

Don't forget all if you pull away and go no where turn the traction control OFF!

A

Anonymous

On Christmas Eve I got stuck having reversed round a corner and downhill (no choice). I hadn't remembered about switching off the traction control so that's a good tip. Another is how my brother got me started...carry some kitty litter in the car :lol: . The grit on the icy snow was enough (with a push) to get me started. More snow predicted so stay safe, everyone :thumbup:

RCZ1

Reaction score
BangorRCZ said:
On Christmas Eve I got stuck having reversed round a corner and downhill (no choice). I hadn't remembered about switching off the traction control so that's a good tip. Another is how my brother got me started...carry some kitty litter in the car :lol: . The grit on the icy snow was enough (with a push) to get me started. More snow predicted so stay safe, everyone :thumbup:

That IS a good tip L, trouble is - I don't have a cat :lol:

Stay safe yourself L and everyone else :thumbup:

A

Anonymous

gemini said:
Philbuk, sorry meant to mention, several neighbours in the past have had Audi TTs - I even considered one before getting the RCZ. There's now not a TT to be seen locally. All the owners we spoke to, said their nerves couldn't take the poor handling on the ungritted country roads. For urban driving then probably fine but for rural, forget it! Hopefully the RCZ will have better handling but, as just posted, I've got the best of both worlds :)

Hi TT owner here, It purely depends on what model of TT it is. The FWD is like any other FWD car in the snow and will perform very similar to the RCZ as its a similar type of car. The quattro which is what I own is great in the snow even with 19 inch wheels it grips very well and I'v passed people stuck in bmw X3s and lexus 4x4s this winter. Im in no way saying the TT quattros better than any full sized 4x4 vehicle but its important to remember drive sensibly in the snow and ice and you should be fine, its better to get to your destination slowly than having an accident. Any vehicle can skid even Range Rovers