What's new
Peugeot RCZ Forum

Register a free account today to become a member. It's free! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, connect with other members through your own private inbox and take part in competitions!

RCZ exhaust options

SilverGTi_6

Reaction score
Afternoon all,

I have just started looking into exhaust options for my 2011 RCZ and thought it might be worth seeking a bit of advice from the RCZ experts on this forum before jumping in. I've done a quick search but couldn't find much.

I’m not looking to spend a fortune so will likely avoid a full system (particularly given there is nothing readily available here in Australia and shipping is a killer). I was planning to just replace the rear muffler with a Lukey (Australian brand which has done me well in the past), but the local exhaust shop has suggested that a simple option could be to just remove the centre resonator (common practice with a lot of other turbo cars).

Has anyone removed the centre muffler on a 200THP RCZ? Is it a worthwhile mod? Does it improve the note at all or just create unnecessary pops and crackles etc?

I’m not after a super loud system, just a little bit more volume, particularly at idle and low revs.

Your advice would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers
Ben

SilverGTi_6

Reaction score
Haha yeah, but not if they are not accompanied by a good exhaust note ;)

When looking into exhaust options for my wife's C30 T5-R (5 cylinder 2.5 litre turbo) removing the centre resonator was an option, but all it ended up doing was introducing a whole lot of pops / crackles without altering the tone at all (so we didn't end up doing it).

RCZ may be different but wanted to confirm with someone that may have done / heard it before locking anything in! Haha.

DRTDVL

Reaction score
Hahahah I've got a 06 V50 T5 AWD....

We cut the rear muffler out on mine! But really needs a 3inch downpipe / exhaust as it's really restrictive, even the rear muffler removal gave me a good increase in performance up top.

Adding the ecu spacer also, and putting the switch in to cut power to the yaw sensor to disable the stability and traction control made things more fun.

SilverGTi_6

Reaction score
Haha nice work mate. I really wanted to put the Elevate cat back system on ours but I wasn't allowed once we found out the shipping costs.

SilverGTi_6

Reaction score
The 5-pot sure does have potential to sound amazing.

Have you modified your RCZ exhaust at all? Centre resonator removed by chance? I'm keen for feedback.

Also, does anyone know about the supposed resonator / valve in the exhaust that opens under full throttle? It seems to have been referred to in several magazine reviews. You can definitely hear it, but I always thought it was just induction sound plumbed through the firewall (like many other cars).

ONLY AEK

Reaction score
Make a new downpipe with out catalyst
Remove the centre muffler and put a new cat there
And you Will see quite a difference

SilverGTi_6

Reaction score
Thanks mate. Unfortunately it's illegal to remove the cat over here, so it has to stay. Will just the centre muffler make much of a difference to the note or not worthwhile?

ONLY AEK

Reaction score
You Will Still have the cat but not on the downpipe
You Will put it down where the midle muffler is

SilverGTi_6

Reaction score
Oh ok, why would you do this? What does moving the cat achieve?

ONLY AEK

Reaction score
Better Flow
Less temprature on engine bay

Oem downpipe has 2 cats and with this setup you put one (with less holes) and one less muffler
Sorry if i cant describe good enough i can tell you in greek perfectly!

Reaction score
Couldn't live without quads.

Heard good things about Tony Banks custom exhausts in Leeds.

SilverGTi_6

Reaction score
I had considered getting quads, but we'll see.

Unfortunately I'm in Australia for looking at local options. I've done a bit more research and not sure whether removing the resonator will give the sound I'm after, so may need to do the rear muffler after all.

If anyone has any direct experience (or video) with the resonator removed I'd still love to hear though!

Cheers
Ben

DRTDVL

Reaction score
You can also buy fake cats, they look identical to a cat but just have a straight pipe inside.

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

DKZ5745

Reaction score
Real cats are best........ :eusa-whistle:

Attachments

• IMG_0835.JPG
    IMG_0835.JPG
    252.8 KB · Views: 7,958

tianorth

Reaction score
Erm

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

SilverGTi_6

Reaction score
Haha thanks for all of your input (both useful and funny). I've decided to go with a custom rear silencer and just twin tips (not quads) albeit slightly different to the standard tips. Fitting this Friday. Looking forward to it!