What's new
Peugeot RCZ Forum

Register a free account today to become a member. It's free! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, connect with other members through your own private inbox and take part in competitions!

RCZ DIPSTICK PROBLEM

A

Anonymous

Hi, I'm new to this forum.

Recently I checked my oil level on my 2010 RCZ only to find that the dipstick will no longer return down the guide and remains with about 2 inches sticking out.
Two Peugeot dealerships I contacted have never come across this problem and a rough guide to resolve the problem such as removing the sump and timing change assembly could cost in the region of £250 - £1500 depending on where the problem lies.
Has anybody else come across this problem and what was the solution?
All feedback welcome.

tianorth

Reaction score
If I remember correctly there has been this on here before where the end part may become detached.
Have a search on here, also pop over to the introductions and introduce yourself let us know what you have gone for.

We are a friendly bunch.

Maybe this thread

viewtopic.php?t=8797

A

Anonymous

Thanks for the response, but I believe the previous thread was about a broken dipstick, not a dipstick that will not return.
Thanks again.

DKZ5745

Reaction score
Does the dipstick appear to be complete? there is very little to stop the dipstick from being fully inserted back into its guide tube, unless something has broken off. I think the thread Tianorth was referring to mentioned that the dipstick could not be re inserted correctly, but I can't find the thread either.

renegade79

Reaction score
i think that thread referred to the end of the dipstick breaking off like what happened to mine when i went to check the oil level one day.

Bobby D

Reaction score
My car tells me the oil level is ok every time i start. Do I ever need to check it manually? (and risk the nasty problems I read about here?)

RCZIain

Staff member
Reaction score
I used to check the oil in my RCZ a couple of times per week.
Definitely never rely solely on what the car is saying.

That goes for any car.

Last edited:

DKZ5745

Reaction score
If you leave the RCZ until it tells you you have low oil, it’s too late !!!!!

There are various bits under the bonnet that really do need the oil level to be at the top mark on the dipstick.

Check at least once a week, more often if the car is used daily.

Bobby D

Reaction score
That's great advice thanks. Mine is just over half so I will top it up. So far I've checked it daily but probably because I only got the car last week.

Dx2

Reaction score
Hi, I'm new to this forum.

Recently I checked my oil level on my 2010 RCZ only to find that the dipstick will no longer return down the guide and remains with about 2 inches sticking out.
Two Peugeot dealerships I contacted have never come across this problem and a rough guide to resolve the problem such as removing the sump and timing change assembly could cost in the region of £250 - £1500 depending on where the problem lies.
Has anybody else come across this problem and what was the solution?
All feedback welcome.
This happened to us recently. The dipstick breaks around 2" from the lower end at the plastic gauge section. If you don't fish out the broken end it will cause a blockage, which would explain why your dipstick won't insert those last 2 inches.

DKZ5745

Reaction score
The OP hasn’t been back to this thread since 2016 so I would imagine he has solved the problem by now 🤔

Dx2

Reaction score
The OP hasn’t been back to this thread since 2016 so I would imagine he has solved the problem by now 🤔
The reply was more aligned to any new viewers to the thread. Although it was originally listed back in 2016, as you've so graciously pointed out, the problem is clearly still ongoing.

DKZ5745

Reaction score
Yes, and as you have correctly pointed out, it’s been 5 years 8 months since anyone (you) has mentioned this problem on this thread.
The other comments from last year simply referred to oil levels and checking frequency.
It’s not exactly a common fault with the RCZ (any variant).

Your post appears to be directed at the OP which is why I pointed out that he will have already resolved the issue.

We sometimes get new members posting on very old threads not realising that they are asking advice or offering solutions to members that have not been back on the forum for years, so I was commenting on the age of the thread in case you hadn’t realised this.

Pedro

Reaction score
The 200GT plus Sport & "R" I assume all have the sprung steel versions so little chance of the end snapping off those but the others have the plastic tips which may be getting snagged on the "suds Tray" in the bottom of the oil sump

Adele

Reaction score
This has just happened to me - the dipstick has snapped off at the level marking. Does anyone know of any all steel dipsticks that are compatible with the 2013 RCZ 2.0 HDi 163 hp?

Verminator

Staff member
Reaction score
I have had this issue and was under a tenner to replace it...
Don't know if there's a metal one or not that fits but the Hdi engine is used in many different peugeot models.....
Drive safe and stay lucky 🍀
Les n Co