What's new
Peugeot RCZ Forum

Register a free account today to become a member. It's free! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, connect with other members through your own private inbox and take part in competitions!

RCZ advice please

stewartwillsher

Reaction score
Ladies and gentlemen;
Zero sold, so pile of dosh, coming in stages, to purchase an RCZ.
I am about to embark on the task of tyre kicking, at last.
I would be grateful for a few hints and suggestions, for when viewing a prospective purchase.
I have decided on a Diesel, for a couple of reasons; the motor, from what I have read here, is a more solid beast, and I quite like the torque profile of an oil burner, especially suitable on our hilly village roads; it is also more economical on fuel, as many of our journeys are 250kms or 500kms mainly on Autovias (Motorways), much on cruise control.
I don't need, nor am really capable of, wheel spin performance (been there, done that, now in old git mode) so will be happy with 163 bhp.
The long haul motor, before our 5008, was a two litre diesel 407 with all the bells and whistles, and the 5008 HDI also, have many similarities with the RCZ diesel, performance and handling excepted.
Web sites flogging motors here in Spain have quite a selection of 2.0HDI RCZs, with a price range from about 5K to over 20K euros, and kms on the clock from 16K to 180K.
I am thinking - up to 15K euros with up to 100k kms, which will be pre-face-lift.
So if you diesel folk can share your observations, I thank you kindly.
:beer:

DKZ5745

Reaction score
The GT has a higher spec than the sport,
the xenon lights are probably the most desirable extra,
and although the sat nav option isn’t the best working example of gps, it certainly looks cool when the screen rolls up.

Check the sills for jacking point damage

And above all, make sure the washer bottle is full & don’t forget to kick the tyres.

renegade79

Reaction score
For 15k you should be able to get a mk2 version. I had a diesel for over 2 years and It was very reliable. The only thing to be wary of is the DPF filter but since you’ve had pug diesels in the past then you probably know all about it. The front tyres tend to wear out quicker owed to that 2.0 lump under the bonnet so try and get one with decent rubber on it. I would also recommend the GT spec and I didn’t have the xénons but if you can find one with them then all the better. Good luck with the tyre kicking and the haggling :eusa-whistle:

RCZIain

Staff member
Reaction score
Can I ask, why diesel? And don't say for economy or I'll ban you :lol:

stewartwillsher

Reaction score
DKZ5745 said:
The GT has a higher spec than the sport,
the xenon lights are probably the most desirable extra,
and although the sat nav option isn’t the best working example of gps, it certainly looks cool when the screen rolls up.

Check the sills for jacking point damage

And above all, make sure the washer bottle is full & don’t forget to kick the tyres.

Thanks for those tips.
Sat nav is not a prob as 'er-ladyship is a dab hand with the plug in Tom Tom. :thumbup:
Screen, though would be nice as 407 had it and 108 has, but 5008 not, so a plus point if present. :clap:
I shall inspect sills, and if damaged get a discount and get fixed by our local chap. :thumbup:
Anybody flogging a motor and not checking levels is under suspicion, so I'll challenge if low! :)
Thanks again.

stewartwillsher

Reaction score
renegade79 said:
For 15k you should be able to get a mk2 version. I had a diesel for over 2 years and It was very reliable. The only thing to be wary of is the DPF filter but since you’ve had pug diesels in the past then you probably know all about it. The front tyres tend to wear out quicker owed to that 2.0 lump under the bonnet so try and get one with decent rubber on it. I would also recommend the GT spec and I didn’t have the xénons but if you can find one with them then all the better. Good luck with the tyre kicking and the haggling :eusa-whistle:
Facelift (Mk2) is borderline over here for 15K euros, so I'd rather get an older better one than a younger poorer one, if that makes sense.
Tyres as with 5008.
Wife's last motor, a FIAT 500C was silly, insisting we drove for a quarter of an hour to clean the bl00dy filter, so am a bit diesel aware.
Most journey though in the RCZ will be a good distance.
Thanks.

neilgsxr69

Staff member
Reaction score
And white ones with racing stripes go even faster! :D

stewartwillsher

Reaction score
RCZIain said:
Can I ask, why diesel? And don't say for economy or I'll ban you :lol:
Not short of a bob or two so economy not top priority, but visits to gas station on long journeys is.
As I intimated, in my old age, not quite needing an auto, but I do like to pull away on the hilly bits, and many round here, without revving and clutch slipping, which I have to do on the 1.2 Puretech 108.
On autovias (Motorways) I like to stay in sixth on cruise control, up and down the gradients, so the oilers win.
Am not an eco-freak, or I'd be bending to family influence and be buying a Lexus CT200H.
Thanks.

RCZIain

Staff member
Reaction score
I can get mid 40s from my petrol. When I'm not hooning it.
In fact my RCZ is averaging pretty much the same as my previous car which was diesel, 508 GT.
On a long run I could get top 40s from that, but day to day almost the same. Although in terms of lowest, the 508 wins that.
One tankful over a month off work for Xmas. 27mpg.

I've done quite a lot of motorway in my RCZ, which is a GT. With the close ratio gearbox, at first I thought it would be a bit busy, and annoy me. I was wrong, it's happy on a long M'way trip in 6th. Cruise on, obviously. I drive everywhere on the cruise.
Seats are perfect. I have an iffy back so am quite sensitive to bad seats.

Auto is 156 only for info.

stewartwillsher

Reaction score
RCZIain said:
In fact my RCZ is averaging pretty much the same as my previous car which was diesel, 508 GT.
On a long run I could get top 40s from that, but day to day almost the same. Although in terms of lowest, the 508 wins that.
One tankful over a month off work for Xmas. 27mpg.

I've done quite a lot of motorway in my RCZ, which is a GT. With the close ratio gearbox, at first I thought it would be a bit busy, and annoy me. I was wrong, it's happy on a long M'way trip in 6th. Cruise on, obviously. I drive everywhere on the cruise.
Seats are perfect. I have an iffy back so am quite sensitive to bad seats.

Auto is 156 only for info.
Thanks for that; I'll bear it in mind if I am tempted away from diesel.
Reading here about timing chains has tipped me toward diesel also.
Spain is a huge country, and I might be persuaded to view something petrol nearer rather than many hours away.
I have a muscular back weakness (old age) so seats must be supportive, like 5008 are.
Thanks.

Plecodoras

Reaction score
Stewart given all that you have said, I too would go for the diesel, in fact that was the very first one I went to see.
I cannot really add much that has not been said before, so I will part with this....

Whatever you buy - good luck and hope you enjoy many hours of pure driving bliss....

Cheers M. :beer:

stewartwillsher

Reaction score
Plecodoras said:
Stewart given all that you have said, I too would go for the diesel, in fact that was the very first one I went to see.
I cannot really add much that has not been said before, so I will part with this....

Whatever you buy - good luck and hope you enjoy many hours of pure driving bliss....

Many thanks :beer:

Scott S

Reaction score
I've had the diesel now for two weeks after having a megane 1.5dci and I can assure you it'll make you smile everyday

stewartwillsher

Reaction score
You chaps giving the colours as preference, I suspect have a bias. :eusa-think:
I, unlike the missus who goes for colour as a priority, have no favourite. :roll:
Yonks ago, when bulling up for mirror finish, I would go for black. :thumbup:
Lazy old git now, with pressure washer and a few more euros for a valet with a service. :thumbup:
Now, especially with air cond, the colour is no lure.
A few stickers, and there seems to be a plethora, will brighten a dullard, no probs. :clap:

DKZ5745

Reaction score
The timing chain issue was (almost) exclusively limited to the Mk1. So if you choose a Mk2 (2013 onwards) you should avoid that problem anyway.

My 200 GT will accelerate away uphill from mid 30mph in 6th with no problems. (I don’t usually do that - but just saying).

The white Z’s are great for not showing watermarks after washing if you don’t have the time to Leather off well, and they do look great with decals, but the darker colours, Red, Black are the best colours for showing a deep shine, which also accentuates the beautiful curves of the Z.

I have found the seats give good support, and I also suffer from regular back problems due to a major accident some years ago.

There were quite a few “pack” options available when the Z’s were being sold new, the Nav pack, the vision pack (Xenons), Black pack, feline pack (included quads).
It might be nice to find a Z with one or more of these packs fitted, many Z’s had multiple packs fitted by their owners from new.

There might well be more “packs” that were available, the above are the ones I am aware of as mine had all of them fitted (except sadly the feline pack).

Im not sure whether the Feline pack was restricted to the Mk1’s, I’m sure other members on here will know more.

Plecodoras

Reaction score
My Mk1 GT had the Feline pack with decals and quads, front sensors and chrome mesh grill plus the all important Xenons with the cornering follow me function, plus a feature I miss on the R, the tilting reversing mirror :cry:

I love Diesels but as some have mentioned you get good economy with the petrol engines and of course instant access to the power. I have achieved 48mpg in the 200GT and 51mpg in the R :wtf: and I wasn't going for economy at the time just on a spirited motorway cruise for 300+ smiles.

tianorth

Reaction score
RCZIain said:

I get high 40s when I'm hooning it!!!

Don't forget to check the jacking points for damage!!!!!

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk