What's new
Peugeot RCZ Forum

Register a free account today to become a member. It's free! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, connect with other members through your own private inbox and take part in competitions!

RCZ 200 EP6-CDTX Thermostat removal.

Blackcapbob

Reaction score
Good afternoon Guy and Gals, My wife loves her RCZ its fast and stylish, its developed a problem often discussed on here loosing coolant but nothing evident.

Recently the 'Top up coolant' warning has been on more than its been off and has got worse over the last week, I rarely drive it so I filled the reservoir up to the max and did 20 mile test drive, it used about 500mls so action needed.

I found a damp patch at the rear of the engine and from previous posts on here the thermostat appears the culprit and is in the right area, on stripping the car I found that the lowest and rear facing pipe was wet so ive found the problem, I have the thermostat unbolted the only thing stopping it being removed is its connection to the pipe that runs around the rear of the engine, the workshop manual says undo the connection oh very useful when you cant see what you are doing, I have lifted the metal retaining spring but can not withdraw the thermostat, one end of the metal spring is loose while the the other end is still attached.

I have used a reasonable amount of force on it already and its still refusing to detach itself from the pipe at the rear of the engine, its very difficult to see what the problem is.

Couple of questions is the metal spring what joins the thermostat to the rear engine pipe or something else, should one of the end have come loose while the other is still connected.......should both have come loose or none.

Will a reputable pattern part be suitable or is it advisable to get a Peugeot thermostat bit like with sensors. Any advice will be appreciated.......... well almost.

Thanks all, take care Bob

Pedro

Reaction score
The pipe slides into a housing held in by a spring loaded clip (horseshoe shape) which goes into a slot in the housing at the rear of the engine you have to pull this clip out to release the pipe connection its fiddly & a pain to get at but I used long nosed pliers but be careful you don't drop it down the back as I would think it is a dealer part only then once released you can remove the thermostat tank refitting is a lot easier because you will know the position/angle the clip goes back into the slot once you get the spring just nudging the slot it just slides back into position
As for the Parts they are on ebay that's where I got mine & that was an original Peugeot Thermostat Tank for a 200GT

Blackcapbob

Reaction score
Thanks Pedro you are a star, I wasn't sure if I had to fully remove the metal clip, now I know I will hopefully be able to remove it, I didn't want to break the pipe the thermostat end fits into as that would be a nightmare to replace running behind the rear of the engine.

Take care all Bob

Blackcapbob

Reaction score
Hello Guys and Gals, I have changed the thermostat what a joy that was, 6 outlets on one thermostat housing the designers must have gone into overdrive with that design, everything is connected up ready to start with extra coolant in hand.

Inserted the key and 'Economy Mode Active' light instantly came on the dash, on turning the key to start there is a single click, my code reader tells me that there are two codes 0569 'Fault supply protection and management unit and code 056B says the same thing, I am assuming they are linked and that it is some kind of anti tamper thing going on.

Can anyone tell me what the codes are and how to move passed them to starting the engine, Ford Cortina's were way way simpler, oh and I grant you way way slower and never looked as sexy.

Any help is gratefully received. Take care all.

Pedro

Reaction score
0568 Cruise control "set" signal
0569 Cruise control "coast" signal
ECU/ BCM has detected signal malfunction abnormality possible switch/ wiring issues

Blackcapbob

Reaction score
Hi Pedro, Thanks for that.

I have been able to solve the problem with a BSI reset it took three goes but eventually worked, on the first reset the two codes I gave you below disappeared to be replaced with '05FF BSI Internal fault' which on the third reset it also disappeared as did the Economy Mode Active message and we now have a starting RCZ which is great for my marital harmony.

Thanks for your help, Cheers Bob.

Pedro

Reaction score
Hi Pedro, Thanks for that.

I have been able to solve the problem with a BSI reset it took three goes but eventually worked, on the first reset the two codes I gave you below disappeared to be replaced with '05FF BSI Internal fault' which on the third reset it also disappeared as did the Economy Mode Active message and we now have a starting RCZ which is great for my marital harmony.

Thanks for your help, Cheers Bob.
Well done Bob I have heard you can delete the Economy mode message but Peugeot do not advise it as it there to protect the power supply to the ECU/BCM & some minor Electrical components the car will also have a built in Load management system so if your driving on a low battery your ancillaries Radio Air con etc will stop operating until sufficient power is restored speaking of power I tried to start he car this morning & the original fitted battery died a sudden death but the car had stood for 2 weeks so it was sheer luck it happened at home !😌

Blackcapbob

Reaction score
Im really not sure why they make cars so complex electrically, the battery housing is way over engineered making a simple battery change problematic and time consuming I'm sure its solely to forces people down the dealer route, also a form of built in obsolescence. I have always done my own car maintenance from my first car an old Hillman Imp in 1978, now you need a code reader before you can open the bonnet of a modern car, no wonder they end up in scrapyards before they are worn out. Unlike Hillman Imps that just rotted away.

Thanks all and get ready for the next lock down saga. Take care all Bob.