What's new
Peugeot RCZ Forum

Register a free account today to become a member. It's free! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, connect with other members through your own private inbox and take part in competitions!

Rcz 200 coolant leak, grinding sound and rattle

JazzyRCZ

Reaction score
Hello all,

Literally got my rcz 2 weeks ago and today i was driving and noticed steam coming from bonnet i pulled over quick to avoid overheating doing damage and it didnt overheat luckily.

The coolant leaks down to floor from the left side of engine if standing at front but cannot see exactly where, i also notice a grinding sound sometimes when moving off in 1st gear so thinking may be clutch and also can just about hear a rattle when starting engine cold. It is a mk1 with 32k miles so im sure it still has original chain and parts.

Im so sad :cry: luckily got 3 months warranty from dealer which is steels and i will be in touch tomorrow to get this all sorted. It seems well maintained but this has saddened me.

I previously had a 207 1.6 vti which had masses of problems including overheating etc and sold that due to problems. Today when i smelt the steam from bonnet it gave me horrible flashbacks of the nightmare 207 overheating days im praying it isnt a repeat with this rcz 200 its a beautiful car i lvoe it. I want to get this all sorted and i will be 1000% satisfied for future.

I will keep updated for those interested and anyone havinf similar issues :cry:

Gordonmd

Reaction score
i would say if you saw steam then a hose has popped off. You probably wouldnt see steam from a leaking seal.
I had the same thing about 3 weeks after I got mine a year ago. the big hose from the radiator to the engine came off while driving. I think it wasnt tightened after some prev work.
Dunno about the grinding.

JazzyRCZ

Reaction score
Could i also add, when filling the reservoir up with water, it would start leaking through bottom a minute or so later so maybe a pipe it flows through is leaking? This is with engine off, while engine is on it also leaks. Any ideas what it may be? Garage said from a brief look maybe water pump or radiator but as the water leaks as soon as i fill im not sure

neilgsxr69

Staff member
Reaction score
There have been reports of the expansion tank leaking

pete.garratt

Reaction score
I’ve seen an RCZ case where a coolant hose became detached from its mountings and rubbed against a drive shaft gaiter.

Eventually, both hose & gaiter wore through - with obvious results.

You may wish to check for that.

JazzyRCZ

Reaction score
pete.garratt said:
I’ve seen an RCZ case where a coolant hose became detached from its mountings and rubbed against a drive shaft gaiter.

Eventually, both hose & gaiter wore through - with obvious results.

You may wish to check for that.

The garage has diagnosed radiator and radiator hose to be replaced under warranty, they will then test clutch for the sound i hear which should hopefully be replaced too.