What's new
Peugeot RCZ Forum

Register a free account today to become a member. It's free! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, connect with other members through your own private inbox and take part in competitions!

R on full lock

JvdBosch

Reaction score
it's clearly a tire-issue, in combination with temperature. On the stock tires, my R does this in winter a lot. In summer it's non-existent. I have winter-wheels which I will mount in november or so, so I'm curious how they will behave. In any case it is not a bug, just a feature. :)

A

Anonymous

Mine has 0 to do with temperature. Rail, hail, or shine, or heatwave (stupid Australia) it will happen.

But yeah a nice feature that wont stop :(

Also interested to see how your winter wheels go.

tianorth

Reaction score
This is a common fault.

Basically the geometry doesn't help things but it could also be down to play in bearing and bushes etc.
I've had my struts replaced under warranty as they though that they were moving, bu it still did it, the technician rotated the strut and it seemed to solve it!!!

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

A

Anonymous

Had the front wheel/LSD juddering today, its just above 0 so the tyre compound is hard (as the Goodyears artsticky summer tyres and not softer winter tyres for these temps).
I would say there is no issue here, just physics and hard (cold) rubber (as we all know, summer tyres are not as good below 7 deg as they take longer to warm up).

RCZIain

Staff member
Reaction score
Mine has done a scrub or two on full lock. Could be why they have plastic front liners instead of carpet like the rear?

Stop it from wearing it through too quickly maybe?!

Plecodoras

Reaction score
Also noted the noise on full lock on my R too over the last few weeks, certainly wasn't there when we had the warmer weather.

Can remember it making a right old noise ( had the ferry ops looking anyway ) when having to turn on full lock driving on the ferry on the steel floor, but it never did it on the road - until now.

Funny thing is and this might be purely coincidental with the change of season - only started after having the car in for replacement discs + pads. Can defo say never did it before, you know those times that you wished you never said owt, well I was kinda thinking that when I heard the noise after discs done. Guess swap one evil for another.

:beer:

JvdBosch

Reaction score
I changed to winter wheels a few weeks ago and haven't noticed the full lock judder since.

bailey

Reaction score
on full lock my rcz r made a juddering noise,i changed the tyres to continental sports and they are perfect no noise at all.

bailey

Reaction score
Plecodoras said:
Also noted the noise on full lock on my R too over the last few weeks, certainly wasn't there when we had the warmer weather.

Can remember it making a right old noise ( had the ferry ops looking anyway ) when having to turn on full lock driving on the ferry on the steel floor, but it never did it on the road - until now.

Funny thing is and this might be purely coincidental with the change of season - only started after having the car in for replacement discs + pads. Can defo say never did it before, you know those times that you wished you never said owt, well I was kinda thinking that when I heard the noise after discs done. Guess swap one evil for another.

:beer:
tyres worn on inside?

RCZ1

Reaction score
bailey said:
on full lock my rcz r made a juddering noise,i changed the tyres to continental sports and they are perfect no noise at all.

My last R used to make the juddering / skip in full lock in cold wet weather. It had Goodyear tyres. My current R doesn’t and that is fitted with Conti’s. Strange that !

RCZIain

Staff member
Reaction score
Mine makes a juddery noise every now and again. It's got conti sport contact something on.

Sent from my VFD 710 using Tapatalk

bailey

Reaction score
i was getting scrubbing on full lock it sounded shocking.i was told to change my tyres to either parelli or continental sport ,so I did .I changed to continentals and the scrubbing has totally vanished.on full lock it is totally perfect.ASTONISHED.

RCZIain

Staff member
Reaction score
Mine has contis, still Scrubs.

Sent from my VFD 710 using Tapatalk

90vanman

Reaction score
drdino said:
It's not a problem, it's the result of Ackerman geometry.
Hi, it's not really Ackerman, that requires linkage that there is no room for. True Ackerman couples the two front steering assemblies together accurately, to ensure scrub is reduced to a minimum, not separate connection via a steering rack. My hdi does it almost always in reverse, as did my Ford Fiesta 2012 model, not so much on a dry surface, as already stated but definitely on damp ones. Ever since the days of solid axles steering has been a compromise. Dave

bailey

Reaction score
my rcz r when on full lock had tyre scrubbing and made a nasty noise.i changed the tyres to continentals and it is now perfect no problems at all

A

Anonymous

Every front wheel drive car I’ve owne with a mechanical LSD has done this. My Corsa VXR Clubsport was a bitch in smooth multi storey car parks. Perks of having a decent LSD ;)

pete.garratt

Reaction score
If it’s a sharp knock, you could take a look at your CV joints in the drive shafts. Also, worth checking all steering/front suspension joints and rubber boots/gaiters etc.

bailey

Reaction score
bradmate said:
Today, 17 February, I have just returned from my dealer after checking for myself the results of the wheel swap, see my post 15th February. The donor RCZ fitted with the wheels from my R with Goodyear Eagle tyres did produce the knocking and vibration, though to a much lesser extent, however the temperature today is not so cold. My own R fitted with the donor car wheels and Pirelli tyres did not produce any knocking or vibration. I am now 95% certain that it is a tyre issue but am surprised that this has not been picked up by Peugeot UK. The dealer has agreed to replace the two front tyres with Pirelli P Zero and I will pay the cost price to replace the two rears. The service manager said they have a 2008 coming in with a similar problem, so will be interesting to know if that is fitted with Eagle tyres.

I would like to take this opportunity to thank my dealer, Portfield Peugeot, Chichester, West Sussex, for all their help in trying to resolve this issue.