What's new
Peugeot RCZ Forum

Register a free account today to become a member. It's free! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, connect with other members through your own private inbox and take part in competitions!

R on full lock

RCZ-R

Reaction score
^ you have a quite interesting history of Pug cars! The 306 GTi with the 167bhp machine was on my list of cars during my Honda VTEC (CRX) period. Great engine, great car.

Coming back to the LSD issue on the RCZ R:
I wonder what is different on my car because it never suffers from this issue. It is production date around early 2014, one of the first cars ordered over here.
There is another annual service around the corner for my R and while doing this I'm going to ask the Service Manager at my local dealer if they know something about this issue. They have sold few of those R here so if such issue came across their desk, maybe they know a solution.

renegade79

Reaction score
RCZ-R said:
^ you have a quite interesting history of Pug cars! The 306 GTi with the 167bhp machine was on my list of cars during my Honda VTEC (CRX) period. Great engine, great car.

Coming back to the LSD issue on the RCZ R:
I wonder what is different on my car because it never suffers from this issue. It is production date around early 2014, one of the first cars ordered over here.
There is another annual service around the corner for my R and while doing this I'm going to ask the Service Manager at my local dealer if they know something about this issue. They have sold few of those R here so if such issue came across their desk, maybe they know a solution.
What mileage are you at now? Will your timing chain be due a change at next service?

RCZ-R

Reaction score
I'm closing on to 75k miles.

No time belt on that engine. There is a chain. The chain is due for a change at about 120k miles. But I will ask for confirmation about that.

frankvdb

Reaction score
I thought chains are supposed to be service free (so don't need replacing)?
My HDi has a belt and the service manual says it only needs replacing at 240.000 km intervals.

DKZ5745

Reaction score
frankvdb said:
I thought chains are supposed to be service free (so don't need replacing)

Try telling Mk1 petrol engine drivers that :eusa-whistle:

RCZ-R

Reaction score
frankvdb said:
I thought chains are supposed to be service free (so don't need replacing)?
My HDi has a belt and the service manual says it only needs replacing at 240.000 km intervals.

Yes, they are. But there is always a "planned" lifetime of such parts. They will not go untouched for e.g. 300.000 kms. Maybe they would but not in my case where I push the engine constantly to the limit.
Generally spoken this part is free of maintenance. But the question is always in which circumstances and for what period of time.

A

Anonymous

I am pleased to say that a few days ago I collected my RCZ R from the dealer. As previously mentioned, Peugeot UK authorised the replacement of the LSD, clutch and flywheel, which did not cure the knocking and vibration problem. The dealer, Portfield Peugeot, Chichester, changed over the 19" wheels from a donor RCZ fitted with Pirelli tyres with the wheels from my car, fitted with Goodyear Eagles. With the Pirelli tyres on my car there was no knocking etc., with my wheels and the Goodyear Eagles fitted to the donor car the knocking and vibration was experienced. They therefore concluded the problem was with the tyres. My car is now fitted with Pirelli Zero P all round, the dealer paid for two and I paid for two as I want the same tyres all round.

My collection of the car was delayed due to a hand operation and since collection the use of the car has been limited. However I can say that it appears to be a great deal smoother and even with the stiff suspension the Pirellis' seem to give a much better ride over uneven surfaces. I am now fairly certain that it was the Goodyear tyres that caused the problem, but only time will tell.

The service manager told me they now have two further customer cars with the same problem, another RCZ R and a 2008, both of which are fitted with Goodyear Eagle tyres. So if you have Goodyear tyres on your car then I strongly recommend you change them.

I hope my experience will help others to resolve similar problems.

frankvdb

Reaction score
I'm glad your issue was sorted out.
It's not the first time that tyres have been found to be the cause of vibration/suspension noise so I really don't understand that garages don't check this option first, considering the cost of the other options.

A

Anonymous

Arrrrrgh!!!! Well glad you have it sorted OP :) just did a long post explaining why it wasnt a tyre issue but lost the lot.....

Putting it simply, your car had a puncture on the front at some point and had a replacement tyre, your car has an lsd so rolling circumfrence when turning... big difference, lsd goes into overdrive and more vibration

Moral of the story, always replace 2 tyres on an axle with an lsd fitted.

PS, F1's are only fitted to the R, no other Peugeot has them as standard, most other pugs have michelin tyres.

RCZ-R

Reaction score
tony1968 said:
Putting it simply, your car had a puncture on the front at some point and had a replacement tyre, your car has an lsd so rolling circumfrence when turning... big difference, lsd goes into overdrive and more vibration

Now that is a very important detail in the whole story! Why wasn't that said right from the start?
The whole swapping of LSD, clutch and flywheel is bonkers too. I mentioned it before. The workshop manager has just no clue.

DKZ5745

Reaction score
I think that's on the CV of most Peugeot mechanics..... :eusa-whistle:

A

Anonymous

RCZ-R said:
tony1968 said:

Now that is a very important detail in the whole story! Why wasn't that said right from the start?
The whole swapping of LSD, clutch and flywheel is bonkers too. I mentioned it before. The workshop manager has just no clue.

It was probably done before he bought the car so wouldnt have known, definately has nothing to do with the brand of tyre, if anything they are the best for the R and no other owner has complained about them :)

RCZ-R

Reaction score
tony1968 said:
It was probably done before he bought the car so wouldnt have known, definately has nothing to do with the brand of tyre, if anything they are the best for the R and no other owner has complained about them :)

Second that! I'm even willing to kick my half-worn Michelin PSS in the bin and replace them with the GY Assy 2. Back to the roots. It was a great tyre for the R.

bigfishes

Reaction score
Further to my initial posting on 24 Feb and more recent discussion with Main Dealers, they have found nothing from external inspections, it seems. However, as of c. Aug 16 Peugeot issued a TSB - tech service bulletin - re the RCZR noise/knock. It appears directed more at a rotational rubbing sound than the knock many of us have experienced in cold weather.

My other pursuit of potential options concerned gear oil viscosity. Most Pugs seem to use the same viscosity EP gear oil nowadays, thus Main Dealers do not offer anything lighter. That said the very light engine oil, 0W-30, is specific to the Pug’s (4J5FGM) 266 bhp powerhouse.

So I plan to get on with the cold weather knock/ hopefully quiet warmer climes and will continue to read the RCZ Forum. Afterall, I’m unlikely to reach our experienced RCZ-R colleague’s 70k miles any time soon! Wd be fascinated to know how things are going from anyone with an RCZR at 100k+ miles.

I don’t recall my Mini Cooper S, with an LSD, experiencing similar problems – but it had only 10inch wheels and 70 series ‘low profile’ tyres (back in the late 60s). Happy motoring to all, and my thanks to RCZ owners/contributors.

CC1RCZ

Reaction score
Just to follow up on posts re. clonking/knocking noise when on full lock - My RCZ R has come back from the dealer having had the ABR sensor and OSF speed sensor replaced and.... no more clonking/knocking noises on full lock!!!! Don't understand why or how but whatever - it seems to have sorted the problem. Thought I'd put this info out there for others who are experiencing the problem. Peugeot don't seem to want to know :crazy:

RCZ1

Reaction score
As an update also. Now we have had a period of dry, warmer days the clonking on slow, full lock in the work car park has now stopped, as it does every spring. It only occurs in wet, cold weather.

RCZash

Reaction score
Hi
The other week in Auto Express they reported this issue on their long term test Merc GLC and that they had experienced this with others cars. They reported it to Mercedes, who said they were looking into it. They have had a number of owners reporting the same issue. Mercedes have said it is not a safety issue because of the low speeds when it occurs. It is a combination of cold weather and hard compound summer tires. All season tires improves the issue and they are offering these to customers free of charge.

RCZ-R

Reaction score
bigfishes said:
...My other pursuit of potential options concerned gear oil viscosity. Most Pugs seem to use the same viscosity EP gear oil nowadays, thus Main Dealers do not offer anything lighter. That said the very light engine oil, 0W-30, is specific to the Pug’s (4J5FGM) 266 bhp powerhouse.

So I plan to get on with the cold weather knock/ hopefully quiet warmer climes and will continue to read the RCZ Forum. Afterall, I’m unlikely to reach our experienced RCZ-R colleague’s 70k miles any time soon! Wd be fascinated to know how things are going from anyone with an RCZR at 100k+ miles...

I got my gearbox oil changed at about 50k. The oil was done by then. Since then gear changes are more fluent and pleasant.

When it comes to the +100k miles I might be a candidate for that. If Peugeot does not bring the 308 R with hybrid power to the market I might stick to my R for another year. This would bring me close or above to 100.000 miles. But not much higher than that.
I still enjoy each and every drive in it. This car is very special.

bigfishes

Reaction score
Many thanks RCZ-R for your posted comment on gearbox oil change. Clearly you are the only owner with a high mileage RCZR on this Forum and thus of considerable help to the rest of us :clap: .

Other readers may have noted in Autocar - 22 Mar 17 Used Cars section, that there are apparently only 300 UK registered Rs, so we're a select group! Autocar seem not to be following this string on our, "cold weather noise problem," they mention only generic RCZ problems.

Car remains great fun & I wholly concur with your comments on driving enjoyment. I'm not sure I cd safely manage much more bhp on UK roads, so the R it is for the long term future (I hope).

A

Anonymous

I have a THP200 Z. Stock rims and I get this occurring on full lock. Does not matter the weather or if the car is hot or cold. Any time I am at full lock it will knock away until you relax the steering.

It used to happen rarely, but after changing tyres up a size to 245/40/19 from 235/40/19 it happens all the time. Anything else I should be checking bar the tyres? (Hunting around for aftermarket 18's, but little choice in the Z size in Aus)