What's new
Peugeot RCZ Forum

Register a free account today to become a member. It's free! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, connect with other members through your own private inbox and take part in competitions!

R on full lock

A

Anonymous

Hello all

I might just be being dim but hey ho, here goes.

When turning my R (has it wider tyres than the standard car?) on full lock I often get a big vibration, tyre scrubbing, juddering......????? Hard to describe really, but either way it doesn't turn cleanly when doing tight slow turns e.g. parking.

is this just a characteristic of having these huge tyres on the front or maybe something more sinister???

tianorth

Reaction score
The tyres are same size as other 19" wheeled rcz's.
The difference is between the wider track and lowered height.
This then changes the geometry of the steering.
I have a HDi and a RCZ-R, only the RCZ-R judders when tight turning

A

Anonymous

Thanks tianorth. So we're saying its normal and nothing to concern my dealer with.....

RCZ1

Reaction score
The answer was posted in a thread about 2 weeks ago. It's the LSD and it happens when its wet and its concrete in car parks rather than Tarmac on roads. The tyres don't have the traction when turning on full lock when it's concrete and wet. When it's perfectly dry, it doesn't do it at all. I know I've discovered it for myself.

A

Anonymous

Limited slip Diff??? Mine does it dry or wet. Tarmac or concrete.

RCZ1

Reaction score
S2LN said:
Limited slip Diff??? Mine does it dry or wet. Tarmac or concrete.

Don't mean to be rude, but are you sure? My R does it in the work Carpark on full lock but when it was bone dry a couple of weeks ago, it didn't do it and I only noticed the R doing it when the weather became wet.

CC1RCZ

Reaction score
I've got an RCZ R and it's making a horrible clonk, clonk, clonk noise when manoevring into parking spaces, i.e. slow moving on full lock. A mechanic friend of mine had a drive in it, heard the noise and said it was the drive shaft. My local pug dealer has looked over the car twice and says it's the tyres scrubbing. I can't believe that! Also I'm told the two front tyres are worn and need replacing. One tyre has done 16,000 miles and the other has only done 7,000 miles!! Any comments/advice from any of you guys would be great please! Many thanks.

A

Anonymous

Its normal for any car with a LSD, its doing exactly what its designed to do :)

tianorth

Reaction score
Basically LSD puts equal power to both drive shafts/wheels, whereas the normal differential ie on other RCZ's reduce power through the differential so each drive shaft/wheel gets different power.

I've just had mine in for the knocking noise on full lock.
Peugeot dealership changed the struts but it still happened they the changed the top bush but still happened so they contacted France for support, eventually they were looking at it turning from side to side and saw the strut was rubbing on itself, lubricated it and stopped the noise for now.

CC1RCZ

Reaction score
tony1968 said:
Its normal for any car with a LSD, its doing exactly what its designed to do :)

If so, I'm wondering how come Peugeot haven't said this then?!

CC1RCZ

Reaction score
tianorth said:
Basically LSD puts equal power to both drive shafts/wheels, whereas the normal differential ie on other RCZ's reduce power through the differential so each drive shaft/wheel gets different power.

I've just had mine in for the knocking noise on full lock.
Peugeot dealership changed the struts but it still happened they the changed the top bush but still happened so they contacted France for support, eventually they were looking at it turning from side to side and saw the strut was rubbing on itself, lubricated it and stopped the noise for now.

Many thanks. I'll pass this info on to my Peugeot dealer. Hope it's solved the problem on yours. Keep us posted please!
I had a former Pug test driver run my car today & he's suggested there's a fault with the drive shaft to hub differential..... :eusa-think:

tianorth

Reaction score
Just watching Wheeler Dealers S13 E5.
Has a Ford Mustang 5.0l in which has a LSD.
Ed give a brief on what it does and how it works.
Google it, probably on YouTube.

A

Anonymous

I bought my 2014 RCZ R from a main dealer in August 2015 with only 3500 miles on the clock and in mint condition. In December 2015, after reversing out of the garage, I moved forward on near full lock and heard a very loud knocking plus tremendous vibration. This occurred several times during the next month or so and the car was booked in to the dealer in February 2016. They were unable to replicate the problem and after a full inspection where nothing untoward was found, the car was returned. I noticed it to a lesser extent on one occasion but during the summer all was fine and I very much enjoyed driving the car. In December 2016 the knock and vibration returned on full lock, which occurred when going forward or reversing, on left or right lock. The vibration was so great that it felt like the front of the car would collapse. The car was booked in again on 19th December. The dealer replaced a suspension bearing on the nearside front as they had a bulletin regarding this. I collected the car after nearly a week and again experienced this tremendous knocking and great vibration. Generally, after the initial knocking when the car is first used on a cold day, once the car is warm it does not happen again.

It is now clear to me that this knocking and vibration only occurs when the ambient temperature is low i.e. below 8/9c. I set my phone camera to take a video in which the knocking could be clearly heard and the vibration in the car was obvious. I played this to the service guy and he commented that he was not expecting that. It was arranged that he would collect my car from my home on 9th January, which was a cold day. On collection he heard for himself the knocking and felt the vibration through the steering wheel. Every cold morning they managed to replicate the problem. The dealer service guy took his own video and a technician also took a video from outside the car while it was moving, which I understand were sent to Peugeot UK. Peugeot UK have authorised for the differential to be replaced and also to replace the clutch and flywheel. The car has not yet covered 10000 miles and I am not confident that this will solve the problem. If it is the LSD at fault then surely it would occur at all temperatures, not just on very cold days. The new LSD will not be in the country until the middle of February, which will mean that since I bought the car it will have spent around 2 months in the dealer's workshop. My concern is that when the LSD is replaced and if the weather temperature improves then I will not know if this has solved the problem until the next winter period, by which time the car will out of warranty. I must say that the dealer is doing all they can to resolve this but are now reliant on Peugeot to find the solution.

RCZ-R

Reaction score
Can you please upload the video here or on YT, if convenient? I'd like to hear it too.

In general the LSD in the R make some occasional clunking noises. But this is due to its design and the way how it works.
The coldest I have been with my R was about -15°C and there were absolutely no issues. Yes, the whole drive train works a bit harsher than at +20°C but this is normal for all cars. The difference here is much of those "normal" daily drivers do not have those sporty bits installed, like the LSD and the suspension setup with stiff stabilizer bars, etc. This is why you will not "feel" those effects in cold temperatures compared with the R.
Even the suspension gets very harsh in cold weather. I don't mind it cause I took it into account while ordering the car. I knew what I was aiming at.
I'm in my third winter season with the R with way over 70.000 on the clock. It behaves exactly the same as it did the winters before.

Your story sounds like there was a serious issue with the LSD. It doesnt take thousands of miles to trash an LSD and the clutch. So maybe the previous owner didnt treat it right.

A

Anonymous

Thanks for your post RCZ R. There is no way that I can accept the steering knock and extreme vibration as normal, no matter what the car is. The vibration alone is so extreme that it can't be doing other components any good at all. Neither do I believe the LSD and clutch are trashed as the car performs perfectly well in warmer weather. I do believe Peugeot are shooting in the dark on this matter. Personally I am not prepared to accept the car back until I am convinced the problem has been solved.

Unable to upload video to this forum but have posted on YouTube (RCZ R Steering Knock)

A

Anonymous

Thanks for your observations drdino. Just looked at the YouTube link featuring Mercedes and the knock sounds exactly what I am getting. How that can possibly be regarded as normal is beyond me and I will never accept that this is ok.

A

Anonymous

If you think that Merc is bad, you should have seen my Subaru Impreza STI Spec C on full lock with a locked diff!!

Its normal for a front LSD to do this, first thing to do would be to change the diff oil imo, but the colder weather and summer tyres wont help, but the noise you heard on the Merc vid is an LSD working as intended, its giving the slip and then releasing, then going through the process all over again, hence the clunking.
I get hardly any noise from my LSD but having owned cars with them before, you tend not to use full lock that much when doing low speed manouvers.