What's new
Peugeot RCZ Forum

Register a free account today to become a member. It's free! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, connect with other members through your own private inbox and take part in competitions!

Query ref parking up for winter

Lanciaman

Reaction score
Winter has started up here in Aberdeenshire. My recently bought rcz in the garage. Not particularly wanting to lay it up but we're heading into ice, sleet and snow time so no point using it when my Subaru Outback is more suited to the conditions.

My question is given the rather fragile nature of the thp (156), should I start it regularly, say weekly, and let it warm up, or just do it every month. Not intending leaving it unused for a month but just if the weather dictates.

Advice welcome.

RCZ-mad

Reaction score
Winter has started up here in Aberdeenshire. My recently bought rcz in the garage. Not particularly wanting to lay it up but we're heading into ice, sleet and snow time so no point using it when my Subaru Outback is more suited to the conditions.

My question is given the rather fragile nature of the thp (156), should I start it regularly, say weekly, and let it warm up, or just do it every month. Not intending leaving it unused for a month but just if the weather dictates.

Advice welcome.
Yes I'd start it every week and let it get up to operating temp.

Your battery should be fine if you don't go driving for about a month or so but if it's going to be out of action any longer, I'd hook it up to a trickle charger at some point so it maintains charge and health.

And probably goes without saying but if you're going to have it sitting in a closed space while you're waiting for it to warm up, make sure you have adequete ventilation.

Lanciaman

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. Yes, trickle charger at the ready. I'd rather not have it sitting idle for more than a few days but makes no sense taking it in minus temps when the outback there.

I'm inclined to do the weekly start and up to temp as you say. I've had other cars left over winter and just left them but they had more robust engines.

Hopefully will get up a few degrees and it'll be out again.

RCZ-mad

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. Yes, trickle charger at the ready. I'd rather not have it sitting idle for more than a few days but makes no sense taking it in minus temps when the outback there.

I'm inclined to do the weekly start and up to temp as you say. I've had other cars left over winter and just left them but they had more robust engines.

Hopefully will get up a few degrees and it'll be out again.
Not sure when you had the last oil change or what you used, and you may already know this but I would also ensure you have the appropriate oil viscosity rating for such cold temps.

Lanciaman

Reaction score
Only just got the thing. Last oil done 2k miles ago by Peugeot so have to presume the correct stuff. Been reading the various oil threads with interest.

Flanners

Reaction score
Dont start the engine unless using it to drive etc absolutely no point...probably causes much more harm than any benefit. Leave handbrake off...put a couple of Pingu's/moisture removers inside the car. Make sure you don't have mice. Depending on type of garage (heated/dry) consider a thin indoor car cover.

Last edited:

Lanciaman

Reaction score
Was waiting for that opposing view! And I get it. Hence the query in the first place.. With you on the handbrake and have the pingus.

RCZ-mad

Reaction score
Was waiting for that opposing view! And I get it. Hence the query in the first place.. With you on the handbrake and have the pingus.
Always is an opposing view lol. Of course you don't have to start it at all for a month, the car won't die, but we're talking about optimal maintenance procedures and the optimal thing to do is to start it once a week and allow the engine to warm up and circulate the car’s fluids. This means the components in the head remain sufficiently lubricated and also ensures any seals remain adequetely lubricated and don't start drying out.

However, even if you don't care about that, the maintenance manual clearly states that you should run the air-conditioning system once or twice a month for 5 to 10 minutes at a time to keep it in good working order and the best way to do that is by actually having the engine running. So, following those instructions would see you starting the car every two weeks at most.

Up to you how you want to play it!

Lanciaman

Reaction score
Oh I care. I'm far too anal for my own peace of mind. And agree ref the seals and air con. It's what I'd usually do with any car that's put away for winter but was just keen to get views given the apparent all too eagerness of the thp to self destruct at any given opportunity.

RCZ-mad

Reaction score
Oh I care. I'm far too anal for my own peace of mind. And agree ref the seals and air con. It's what I'd usually do with any car that's put away for winter but was just keen to get views given the apparent all too eagerness of the thp to self destruct at any given opportunity.
Yeah I'm new to the RCZ so still absorbing as much info as possible regarding the engine. I hear the horror stories but honestly, it's the same thing I've heard with every car I've ever had.

I think it's a classic case of being in an echo chamber where people want help with issues so you hear a lot of negative things and then the perception becomes that it must be unusually bad.

Put it this way, no manufacturer is perfect. A while back a friend of mine bought a brand new 2017 Audi SQ7 with the big V8 diesel engine...it self-destructed within 20k kms and they had to replace it.

The best thing you can do is keep the car maintained and make yourself aware of its particular quirks and stay on top your maintenance!

Lanciaman

Reaction score
With you on that. I've been spoiled by a number of Subaru 3.0 Legacy and Outbacks over the past 12 years and other than the usual consumables all any have needed is wheelbearings and sticky boot handles oiled up. So getting the rcz is back to actually keeping very close attention as to what may be going on!

Verminator

Staff member
Reaction score
When I have mine under wraps for the winter I connect a trickle charger on and check it once a month and start it up done this for the last few years and all good.. For the summer months of fun

Lanciaman

Reaction score
Given its minus 7 tonight and the high temps during the next couple of days, mine is going nowhere. Ran it up to temp this eve. Started on the button and no nasty noises so that was good. Wasn't expecting it really but given some stories take nothing for granted. Does look good sitting there.

Lanciaman

Reaction score
OK, just been out to put on the trickle charger. And the battery is buried underneath plastic.... Crap. Positive terminal has an access flap. Don't want to break anything so any hints how to access the negative... Or get that plastic cover off? I know it should be easy but...

Thanks for any help!

Claret63

Reaction score
Just put the negative to an earthing point in the engine bay.....
That’s correct negative at the front right of engine bay, help’s also if you put a dehumidifier in the garage, I always maintain humidity below 65%, that will keep things tip top.

Lanciaman

Reaction score
Thanks for that. I'm not being overly precious with it but zero point running it in icy weather. It will be out again if we see positive temps!