What's new
Peugeot RCZ Forum

Register a free account today to become a member. It's free! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, connect with other members through your own private inbox and take part in competitions!

Polo Bites The Dust

A

Anonymous

So just to add to my ever bubbly life, our 04 VW Polo diesel decided to fail its medical today (MOT), and also the clutch has started slipping, which we knew was failing some weeks ago :roll:
I just could not belive how many parts had deteriorated since its last MOT, it now needs :
2 tyres, 2 CV gaitors, track rod end, drop link bar, ball joint and rear brakes need adjusting/changing, plus like I say the clutch has started to slip.
So we've decided to part with it, it's not really worth spending over £300 to get it through the MOT and another £300 on a clutch.
One dealer has already offered us £1300 and no need to do the MOT, ( I some how forgot to mention the clutch :oops: :cool: .
So I think we may just take up their offer.
There was a number of small cars there that Mrs H took a fancy to, she's not a petrol head so it will probably be a little city run around of some sorts, something that offers a decent level of additions but without spending silly money.
We did look at the C1, Toyota Aygo or the Peugeot 107, but used they price around £7000 for a 60 plate with a fair bit of mileage, plus they are all so so bland inside and come with nothing, you'd be lucky to find one with both electric windows and A/C, it's usually one or the other, and thats it, totally lifeless inside. :thumbdown:
The wife did see a 62 plate Chevrolet Spark 1.2 LT, that comes fully loaded, climate control, electric windows all round, alloys, mettalic paint, electric mirrors, bluetooth, mp3, USB and other bits N bobs, plus it only had 4 miles on the clock (pre-registered to the dealer), for £5995, ok it's a Chevy, but in comparison to the other makes it was a good deal.
It also comes with a better warranty, 5 years I believe and 30 a year to tax :thumbup:
Used small city cars really do seem to hold a good price. :eusa-think:
Anyway we are not sure which to go for, but I think the quicker we shift the Polo the better.

A

Anonymous

What about something like the newer style Yaris? What do they go for? They always struck me as ok little town cars. I had a Suzuki Swift as a courtesy car last year and it wasn't a bad little car either to be honest. However, for the money, I'd be tempted to go with a Fiesta. I'm sure you could get one of the pre facelifted (and better looking models IMO) for around that money.

A

Anonymous

The Swift was an option but we couldnt find a 5 door, not unless we went for a new one. Mrs H needs 5 doors now, the Polo was 3 door and not very practical.
We dont want to travel too far find a car, I've this in the past and when we've got to the garage /dealer the car looks nothing like it did in the advert.

Most little city cars look very dated, even some of the newer models.
The Kia Picanto is so old fashioned looking, it reminds me of the old shape Nissan Micra, as do the Hyundia i10.
The Aygo, C1 & 107, are basically the same car, but you dont get much of a car for your money, especially with the Aygo as it comes in around £1500 more expensive than the others for the same year and mileage.
All 3 are easily available in 3 door, but the 5 door is a bit more sought after, hence the premium in price.

I've just taken the Chevy Spark 1.2 LT out again for a 2nd time and it's not bad to be honest.
It totally out guns any of the above in levels of additions & spec, gives good MPG compared to it's rivals and is in slightly better on performance due to it being 1.2ltr, and it is more or less brand new.
The 2013 LT model unregistered has a screen price of around £11000 but Chevrolet have a deal on and knock it down to £8820, obviously because the 2014 plate is out soon, but the one we looked at is a 62 plate with only 4 miles on the clock for £5999, so that's almost half the cost of the 2013 price, plus they will take the Polo in its current condition.
I've bought a couple of cars from this dealer in the past, so that also helps a little, they are my local Vauxhall/Chevrolet dealer.

This could be the one for Mrs H :eusa-think:
http://www.frfmotors.com/used-cars/sear ... let-spark/

hanswuk

Reaction score
jactac, I've got the same scenario with our old Ford Focus - passed it's MOT last year with no problem but this year with the MOT coming up next month absolutely everything's going wrong on it. It's just not worth repairing!

At the price you say you can get a Chevrolet Spark it's hard to argue - it looks OK. However I would just mention that Chevrolet as a brand is due to be discontinued in the UK and that always depresses second hand values.

Personally I prefer cars a size up from city class eg. a Peugeot 207/208 is a much nicer car than a 107 etc.

A

Anonymous

I didnt know they were debranding over here :eusa-think:
Might just mention that when we go for out 3rd look around tomorrow.

I agree about going for something a little bigger, and if I was going to be the main driver I would look at something else, however as the wife will be driving this, and being a bit of a nervous driver I think this sort of meets her needs.

A

Anonymous

one thing I would say about the Aygo C1 107.... depreciation.

Its non existant. I think ours lost about £2500 in 5 years.. its a great car to run into the ground and pretty bullet proof

A

Anonymous

Yeah I would agree.
We found that all three held their used prices very well, I would say no matter which level of spec you went for, the Aygo was the most expensive, then the Peugeot and the C1 the lowest,
They are almost identical on the outside, and inside I just couldnt see any difference at all.
We did feel though that the interior of all 3 is very bland, even on the higher spec models.

The Aygo "Go" is probably the best spec'd, which definitely reflects in the screen price, but even that felt it needed a bit of sparkle to liven up the interior.

A

Anonymous

The 107 XS (Not the newer XS Sport) was a good spec.

It had a bit more flair inside and an rev counter as well as a nice central backbox. Had one as a loaner once and it was a hoot.

The Aygo we have has the Leather / Suede effect interior, CD and Aircon and was the Platinum variation. but that was over 5 years ago so they probably dont do platinum now!

A

Anonymous

Yeah Donna,
We liked the 3 door version of the 500, but as the 5 door model is almost new it's a lot more expensive, it's also a lot bigger, too big in fact for our needs.
My neighbour had the 3 door and has just swapped it for the 5 door 500L, it's as big as a people carrier.

A

Anonymous

Figo said:
The 107 XS (Not the newer XS Sport) was a good spec.

It had a bit more flair inside and an rev counter as well as a nice central backbox. Had one as a loaner once and it was a hoot.

The Aygo we have has the Leather / Suede effect interior, CD and Aircon and was the Platinum variation. but that was over 5 years ago so they probably dont do platinum now!

The Aygo "Go" that we looked at also had the Sat Nav as standard, alloy wheels and rear tinted glass, lovely little car, but like I say, all this refelected in the price.
Trying to find a used good spec small car in good condition, low mileage ect at a reasonable price is hard work, especially if you have only one or two in mind that you really want.

We have found over this last 2 weeks that the car dealers are holding up the prices on these little city cars, because buyers are willing to pay the money.

We are also at a bit of a disadvantage because the Polo failed the MOT, so we have to find something quickly.

A

Anonymous

What about a Vauxhall Adam? They're quite quirky and so many things to choose from to make yours unique? Hyundais are good these days, what about an i10?

A

Anonymous

I think it's going to be the Chevrolet Spark 1.2LT, the deal that they have offered is hard to turn down.

Maybe if finances allowed we may of opted for a "more popular" brand but for the money there was nothing that could offer this amount of spec with such low mileage (4 miles on the clock).

So tomorrow I'm going over to finalise the deal, at least then Mrs H is sorted, all that remains is for me to decide what happens with the Z :roll:

A

Anonymous

donnaj1dlh said:
What about a Vauxhall Adam? They're quite quirky and so many things to choose from to make yours unique? Hyundais are good these days, what about an i10?

I found the i10 which I've had as a courtesy car from our "favourite" dealership to be a hateful little thing. Applying the brakes feels you're applying sponges. Actually...sponges would be more effective. Plus, they look like proper granny cars and the interior is horrible!!! :thumbdown: The Adam is quite a smart wee car but at quite pricey.

Anyway, sounds like you've decided Jactac. I'm not really familiar with the Spark if I'm honest but sounds like you've got a good deal and that counts for a lot!!

A

Anonymous

Deal done, collecting the car Friday.

Final part ex deal was :
£1350 for Polo, (which has no MOT, and the cost to get through was £340, plus the clutch is slipping, estimated replacement cost is £300, and the remaining 9 months tax is being refunded back to me)
To swap with:
Pre registered (to dealer) Chevvy Spark 1.2 LT £5999, with 4 miles on the clock, 12 months tax, set of genuine mats, remaining manufactures warranty 3 years aprox, tank of fuel, ordering a space saver wheel & jack (no charge), free MOT's for life, but all new buyers get this as long as the car is still registered to the buyer at the time of the MOT.

The LT is one down from top of range, so comes well equipped .

I have taken a couple of cars from this particular dealer over the years, so therefor I think I was looked after a tad more than if I had not bought from them in the past.

Personally I dont think we could of got a better deal anywhere else, or found a small city/urban type car with this level of spec, and such low mileage, for this amount of money, plus at the very least I would probably of had to put the Polo through an MOT if we part ex'd elsewhere, and there was no way I could of sold the Polo private without an MOT and with the clutch slipping, so I think taking everything into consideration this was the best way to go.

So anyway, at the moment I've earned lots and lots of brownie points for getting Mrs H an almost brand new small car that she can be happy in and clock up the miles, whilst I watch the 6 nations :cool:
Method in the maddness lads ;)

A

Anonymous

Top work Jactac and sounds like you got a really good deal! :thumbup: :clap: I also love your logic regarding the Six Nations!! :lol: :clap: :clap:

A

Anonymous

Thanks K,
All I got to do now is teach her how to wash the bloody thing :eusa-whistle:

A

Anonymous

So we picked up the little Spark last Friday and on first impression's it's a nice little car to drive. :thumbdown:
Plenty of room inside, far bigger than it's rivals, and loads of headroom, yet its almost 11 inches shorter than our old Polo.
It's actually quieter on the road than my Z, obviously due to it having far smaller wheels & tyres, and is very comfortable to drive with it's high driving position.
The difference in power though between driving the 1.9 diesel Polo and this 1.2 ltr engine is very obvious, at first I thought the handbrake was still on :lol:
But you do get used to it, especially if your just doing urban driving, like it will be used for.

Funny thing though, I offered the lad and his two mates a lift last night into Swansea as it was raining cats & dogs , but they opted to walk to a bus stop for the bus :eusa-think:

I dont think they would of turned down a lift in the Z, but I guess it's not the same pulling up in busy Wind Street with all the totty looking on, and get out of a Chevrolet Spark :lol: :lol: