What's new
Peugeot RCZ Forum

Register a free account today to become a member. It's free! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, connect with other members through your own private inbox and take part in competitions!

Plastic Valve Guides

thornebt

Reaction score
I bought my 156THP GT about three months ago and it has always suffered from a misfire when the engine is cold. Not every day but generally a couple of times a week. It's been back and forth to Carbase (car supermarket) where I bought it and they have now booked it into Peugeot for the second time to try to fix the problem. Between them they have previously replaced the spark plugs, two ignition coils, have run fuel cleaner through it and carried out two software updates.

Peugeot now say it is an identified timing issue and that the valve guides need to be replaced. Must be quite an expensive job but luckily Carbase are footing the bill - I think because it can reasonably be assumed that the fault was present when I bought the car and is therefore the dealer's responsibility. Carbase tell me that the plastic valve guides are prone to melting. I guess this results in valves sticking and the misfire. Perhaps when the engine warms up the oil flows better to the guides. Peugeot are supposed to have a modification to fix the problem.

My fault code reader came up with a 'fuel rail pressure low' code. Perhaps low pressure was detected by the fuel pressure sensor because the valve was sticking open.

Can anyone shed any light on this please? e.g. do they fit replacement plastic guides with increased oil flow? Are they replaced with a metal valve guide? Do the valve guides really melt? And just out of interest what might it have cost me if it had happened outside of my three month used car warranty?