What's new
Peugeot RCZ Forum

Register a free account today to become a member. It's free! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, connect with other members through your own private inbox and take part in competitions!

Pink dust on the R engine

Claret63

Reaction score
Could this be the answer to rid of the pink dust on the R? Interesting modification on a R that is currently for sale amongst other things. I think not!

IMG_0439.png

Kerr

Reaction score
Won't wrapping the turbo make it run even hotter?

It doesn't look like a good idea to me.

Pedro

Reaction score
No Thanks the engine bay on modern cars is designed to have an overall airflow so is wrapping heat generating components a good idea as Kerr rightly points out ?

Claret63

Reaction score
I am not sure, but I thought the turbo was wrapped under the chrome shield, which is missing on this one from the factory, I believe the factory insulation breaks down and produces the pink dust.

I am sure someone will be along who knows how things should be under the shield, but that turbo wrap doesn’t look right to me.

Flanners

Reaction score
Looking at some posts some say the 'blanket' is more effective than a heatshield for preventing the heat around the engine bay leading to the demise of plastic pipes/hoses, loss of power, intake temps etc especially when tuning a turbo car and producing more heat......guessing the blanket is not 'needed' if the R has not been tuned and the OE heatshield is still doing it's job and shedding the pink dust as a by-product of this; as ever many say don't wrap turbo's etc as it lessens their life?!.....the OE heatshield breaks down and is as far as I can tell is a consumable part on the R as it loses it's effectiveness over time (I had a new one supplied and fitted after a Tech dented and scraped mine) a lot seem to have damage where twats have used the heatshield as a hand rest when working on the engine/oil change etc). Post on here says that when the pink dust stops time for a new heatshield as the fibre protection has gone......I seem to remember the heatshield replacement job is a complete arse as the lower bolts are not possible to access without the removal of the front bumper!!!?? thankfully heatshield and labour was at MD's expense £00's!

Personally I would not want my R or to buy one without the OE heatshield in place.

You got me looking at listed R's again, down to 2 or 3 for sale now a fair few more....one on eBay 18K in red for £14K Trade......!

Last edited:

Claret63

Reaction score
Ah, so are you saying the coating is on the underside of the heat shield Flanners?

I am always looking at R’s, I enjoy looking at the various imperfections with them, wheels and brakes are always top and usually the reason why people sell I guess. The one on eBay is on AT and is the one with the wrapped turbo! also see single exhaust at rear.

I really am a sad git!

Last edited:

lfe

Reaction score
The turbo should not be insulated as it will work even hotter, shortening its life and increasing the risk of fire.
The original heat shield is to minimize burns if you put your hand in, it is not insulation.

Flanners

Reaction score
Ah, so are you saying the coating is on the underside of the heat shield Flanners?

I am always looking at R’s, I enjoy looking at the various imperfections with them, wheels and brakes are always top and usually the reason why people sell I guess. The one on eBay is on AT and is the one with the wrapped turbo! also see single exhaust at rear.

I really am a sad git!
Yep the fibre type coating is on inside of heatshield and breaks down over time....it offers heat insulation.

Turbo Heatshield is f all to do with protecting hands or minimising burns....it keeps the heat in the turbine and prevents this higher temperature from soaking into the surrounding area under the bonnet.

The bonnet of the R gets roasting hot...remember the Evo test saying it steams in the rain.

Last edited:

Claret63

Reaction score
Yep the fibre type coating is on inside of heatshield and breaks down over time....it offers heat insulation.

Turbo Heatshield is f all to do with protecting hands or minimising burns....it keeps the heat in the turbine and prevents this higher temperature from soaking into the surrounding area under the bonnet.

The bonnet of the R gets roasting hot...remember the Evo test saying it steams in the rain.

That makes total sense now, I actually wanted to get a look under there but it looks a pig to remove as you say, cant see how it can be removed without bumper removal as it simply wouldn't lift upwards.

Am thinking of trying to improve the insulation rather than to try and go down the warranty route for replacement, as it will only continue to shed the dreaded ping dust, have been looking at the Zircotec sheeting for this.

Kerr

Reaction score
That cheaper 18,000 mile red car looks suspect. The lack of second exhaust is strange. I'm not sure what they've been doing with the boot floor.

I think the heat shield might have been damaged in a crash and that was the cheap repair option.

Claret63

Reaction score
That cheaper 18,000 mile red car looks suspect. The lack of second exhaust is strange. I'm not sure what they've been doing with the boot floor.

I think the heat shield might have been damaged in a crash and that was the cheap repair option.

Personally I would run a mile, it is described as having a custom exhaust with upgraded re circulation valve, also seems the suspension has been upgraded to Bilstein.

All that would cost a small fortune to put back, can’t think of anything worse than a modified R, it’s the only car I have ever had where I can’t think of a single mod that I would do.

That boot carpet is something else! the car is cheap for a reason.