What's new
Peugeot RCZ Forum

Register a free account today to become a member. It's free! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, connect with other members through your own private inbox and take part in competitions!

Peugeot RCZ THP 200 cold start rattling noise

glummy

Reaction score
Hello fellow RCZ owners,

I would like to get some help from your infinite RCZ wisdom, about a problem that I have with my recently purchased Peugeot RCZ THP 200.
When starting the car (in cold start), and after being shut down for a while, I get a rattling noise from the engine, and it goes away when the car returns to idle mode - engine revs resume its 800 (or so) RPM.
I posted a video - link shared below - so that you can hear the noise.

Can anyone help me identify the problem, please?
Thanks in advance.

Verminator

Staff member
Reaction score
By the sound timing chain and tensioners required as common on the THP engine.. These engines needs oil checking each week as they do use it and helps prolong life of chain 🔗

Pedro

Reaction score
I replaced the Chain tensioner only on my 200 & it stopped rattling

Pedro

Reaction score
Well to be honest I changed the water pump first after buying the car as that was noisy on a cold start then after using the car for many months it still had a rattling sound so changed the tensioner & rattle disappeared

glummy

Reaction score
Well, the car went to a Peugeot dealership and it changed the tensioner, the timing chain, sprockets, guides, etc... Basically the whole distribution kit.
And, after a 1000€ repair, the car is still the same - it still has the rattling noise at cold start.

One thing that seems a pattern, is that the car only does it when at cranking the car revs up a bit above 1000 rpms, and in previous ride I pushed a little from the engine. If on previous ride I made a smooth trip, without accelerating too much, and keeping in low revs, the car does not present the problem.

Can you share your opinion, and try to help this RCZ forum friend to get is car to perform its best?

Thank you in advance.

Pedro

Reaction score
All the THP engines do rattle on startup during the cold start cycle until oil pressure is sufficient in the upper valve/rocker part of the engine then it will normally disappear as heat is generated which will also make a difference one thing that might make difference is oil viscosity depending on service history?
Regarding my issue it may even be the same problem with the water pump & its components ?

glummy

Reaction score
Hi @Pedro ,

Your issue emitted the same noise? Did you have the same symptons?
My RCZ only emits this noise when starting from cold, and when the car is reving above 1000 rpms for about 20 seconds or so.

Pedro

Reaction score
If it disappears once the engine is running then I would have no real concerns mine rattles on cold start so I leave it running until the revs drop down then I move off my water pump was rattling way too much for a chain issue it was emitting a grating sound so I suspected it was the pump impeller bearing

lfe

Reaction score
Since I changed the tensioner on my THP 156Hp the chain never rattle, not even when cold start

glummy

Reaction score
I've recorded another video, this time outside in the street.