What's new
Peugeot RCZ Forum

Register a free account today to become a member. It's free! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, connect with other members through your own private inbox and take part in competitions!

Peugeot RCZ Front ABS sensor Magnetic or optical

Dedra1

Reaction score
Hi Folks

Was wondering if anyone could help. Since garage replaced front wheel bearings front right abs sensor has stopped working.
I tried cleaning it but no difference. I put in brand new matching sensor but still not working.
Fault is listed as permanent coherence.
Thinking that this meant the sensor was too close or too far from magnetic ring on bearing I cleaned rust from area that sensor sits in & made sure that sensor
sat flush within this area.
Still not working.....
One thing I noticed about the sensor is that it seems to have an optical "eye" pointing out the way... there is no toothed ring for it to point at...
Why would sensor need an optical "eye" if no toothed ring?
I now think garage may have put wrong sensor back in, thus I purchased new "wrong sensor" , or the bearing with the magnetic ring built into it, is not in
the correct position, with too big a clearance between it & the sensor
Sensor I ve used is 4545 K3 type which is listed on Ebay etc as the correct one....
I scanned the car before it went into the garage, as it had a fault with the rear sensor. The other 3 sensors were fine.
This is how I know the garage created this fault.
Has the wrong sensor been used or does the bearing need to be adjusted? (The bearing magnetic ring has been cleaned)

Thanks for any help & advice

all the best

Pedro

Reaction score
I doubt if the bearings are at fault if they Torqued them up correctly they will only go so far into the Hub flange have you checked the connector plug for corrosion & if the feed is OK I think the resistance on a new sensor If I remember correctly you should get a reading of around 740 OHMs also if you can hook up to a scanner with the ABS fault log all 4 wheels at standstill should show a reading of 0 a faulty sensor can show that that wheel is still moving so I'm afraid its a question of ionvestigarion & elimination see what they say at the garage if you draw a blank

Dedra1

Reaction score
Thanks for reply. Pedro. Did live scan while car moving & front right showed 0mph (along with back right sensor). Not long after I did this
the other working abs sensors failed!!! Then warning lights on dash went mental. Airbag failure, spoiler went up & stays up etc. The airbags & spoiler
rely on speed information so now all abs sensors are knackered so are they.....
Will check fr right connector again but I'm now at the stage with this car that I ve had enough. Every time something gets fixed it bits me in the ass with
a new problem......
Possible timing chain problem (no garage wants to fix), oil leaking everywhere, coolant leaking everywhere, abs sensors that are evil, driveshaft now sounds
like its on the way out etc....money pit does not come close to describing this car....shame because it looks & drives great.....

Think I will leave RC in the garden and just look at it....:cool:

Pedro

Reaction score
Reset the BSI see if it changes anything regarding the EML I doubt all the sensors are at fault it may be down to an Electrical issue so you might need a Auto sparky to check if there is no wiring harness problems
Regarding the Timing chain I don't know the mileage or service history but the usual suspect before you get the "death rattle" is that the Tensioner is goosed its generic on all the Prince Engines they go rock hard over time & fail to put the correct tension on the chain then the chain starts to go slack so I would look at changing that first maybe
Driveshaft could be CV joint defective its an easy fix & they are not megabucks to buy aftermarket ones
The other faults I assume are cosmetically mechanical ?
Possibly coolant hose possibly
Oil leaks can be detected by cleaning around the leak area & remember oil leaks seep everywhere when the cars moving so it may be a minor fix ?

Dedra1

Reaction score
Update on ABS sensors. Spent all day on them. Got 3 working...however the original back right fault still there....
Front right sensor the plug connector was slightly out ,had to push together very very firmly but fixed it!!!
Front left sensor had a lot grease from CV built up on it...gave it good clean, & magnetic ring....& it worked!!!!
Back left sensor wire was broken....reconnected it ....its working!!!!!
However back right wire also broken but even when reconnected....still dead.....sensor is new,,,,
Good news that the spoiler & airbag are now also fixed. Speedo is working again & cooling fan has stopped coming on every time you turn engine off (even when cold)
Tensioner fitment needs camshafts locked & crankshaft locking pin used I believe?
Cant just screw old one out & new one in?
Car has only covered 74 Kmiles.
Have tried BSI reset 2 or 3 times....no change
Bought new battery which will fit & see what happens.........who knows what surprises Bosch/Delphi has in store........

Pedro

Reaction score
You right about removing the tensioner with the Camshafts & crank locked up
The rear right sensor may have a broken loop in the circuit ?
Old Battery may have been causing some issues with the economy/load management system operating to save power
let us know how your progressing as for the chain issue I read somewhere a guy still has the original one fitted at over 80.000 klms & he puts it down to dropping the oil/filter out at every 5000 Klm :)