What's new
Peugeot RCZ Forum

Register a free account today to become a member. It's free! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, connect with other members through your own private inbox and take part in competitions!

Petrol into a HDi

A

Anonymous

I feel my experiences of the last two days warranted a post on here for the benefit of other owners of HDi engined RCZ's

I went into a Shell service station to fill up with premium diesel (I normally use BP Ultimate) Knowing that Shell call their premium diesel Nitro I selected the Nitro pump and began to fill up. I then realised that I had put 21 Litres of Nitro petrol into my tank. I then proceeded to brim the tank with diesel in an attempt to "dilute" the petrol.

Driving home for 13.4 miles was uneventful and all seemed fine. Stopped outside home and unloaded the boot. However when I went to park Pearl2 up she was reluctant to start and when she did she immediately cut out again. So being latish I left it overnight. Today I drain the tank by means of a pipe into the tank and syphoning the contaminated fuel out. Once done I put 20 litres of diesel back in. The car started straight away and sounded just fine. So I went for a 37 mile trip. No misfiring or warning lights. I topped the tank up with Shell Nitro DIESEL and made the return journey. Again all seems fine, no bumps, bangs, smoke or misfiring.

Despite all of the horror stories, it doea seem that you can escape such a mistake without dire consequences.

A

Anonymous

pete.garratt said:
Crikey, Ron - you must be counting your lucky stars!

My prayers were certainly answered. I just felt that this experience was worth sharing despite all that has gone on.

A

Anonymous

And it's so easily done.
The hoses can look very similar.

I check and double-check which nozzle I've got before pressing the button to fill.

The good news is that unleaded into diesel doesn't usually result in any damage.

Well done doing your own diy fix though :clap:
The RAC won't come out to these as routine anymore - don't know if they do if you pay more / an excess maybe ??

A

Anonymous

Glad to here all seems well.
With my old Xsara hdi I used to put €10 of petrol into the tank once a year, but having read that it's not recommended, I won't be doing it to the Z.

A

Anonymous

Great post Ron. Particularly comforting as I'm sure I'll do this at some stage in the future as I had a couple of near misses with my old diesel civic. Nice to know it's all worked out in the end [WINKING FACE]

A

Anonymous

Glad you can't put diesel in a petrol.....after been driving diesels for 13 years.....

the big blue

Reaction score
Hi 0058RON :greetings-wavingblue:

..at least that initial heart sinking feeling has been quickly and cheaply rectified. Now how much do you want for the nitro that you syphoned out of your tank as Business Is Business ! :thumbup:

.the big blue

A

Anonymous

I prefer the taste of diesel it has that extra something..

A

Anonymous

I did this on my old 306 1.9 diesel turbo!

Glad the HDI is just as strong and forgiving!!