What's new
Peugeot RCZ Forum

Register a free account today to become a member. It's free! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, connect with other members through your own private inbox and take part in competitions!

Performance Exhaust Survey

A

Anonymous

This goes out to all RCZ Owners so unsure if it should stick here or not.

I am currently developing my own Performance RCZ Exhaust. I personally feel that those currently on offer are overpriced. From past experience the big tuning houses use the cheapest of techniques to get the quickest and easiest gains so my new project is simply this.

"To provide the RCZ Forum owners with a unique, affordable exhaust system which will only be available to forum members"

SO... with that in mind...

Ruffer comes in at near £1k, similar price with the supersprint, Peugeots Feline pack is £650 fitted but has no change in sound.

What's everyones thoughts on a Limited Run RCZ Forum limited batch?

Price?

Sound?

Quads needed?

Please share your thoughts

A

Anonymous

One big word WARRANTY. Perhaps in 3 years but I doubt many will fit an exhaust which will threaten it.

A

Anonymous

I figure that if the big dogs like Ruffer and Supersprint see a market for a £1000+ system there will be sufficient demand for a limited batch at a much much lower price point to justify the project.

Depends on who buys the RCZ. Someone that wants a stylish car may not want one. But I'm sure anyone who wants to enhance driving enjoyment will buy one before the 3 years are up. After all... Why pay £25k and have to compromise on sporting promise.

RCZ1

Reaction score
Figo said:
I figure that if the big dogs like Ruffer and Supersprint see a market for a £1000+ system there will be sufficient demand for a limited batch at a much much lower price point to justify the project.

Depends on who buys the RCZ. Someone that wants a stylish car may not want one. But I'm sure anyone who wants to enhance driving enjoyment will buy one before the 3 years are up. After all... Why pay £25k and have to compromise on sporting promise.

Did you not buy the RCZ because you liked it as it was? Warranty is the big stumbling block to most people as well as increased costs in insurance premiums due to modifications.

A

Anonymous

RCZ1 said:
Figo said:

Did you not buy the RCZ because you liked it as it was? Warranty is the big stumbling block to most people as well as increased costs in insurance premiums due to modifications.

Oh dont get me wrong I love my car but Im not under any illusions that its at the forefront of the technology. Peugeots Engineers have done a fantastic job on progressing what can be traced back to a 1991 Citreon ZX Chassis( Used in the 306, tweaked for the 307 and reworked again for the 308). :lol:

I just feel that there is still some simple tweaks that should of been done but the green brigade and regulations prohibited. Many insurers wont increase premiums on items like exhausts (havent in the past anyway) since the performance increase is negligable if any! Im sure that seeing your car is probably the most moddified on here that chosing the right insurer can result in an easy and cheap premium :)

RCZ1

Reaction score
I wouldn't say my car is the most modified and it doesn't cost me anything extra in insurance premiums, which is always a good thing. :thumbup:

A

Anonymous

in simple terms if there was an exact match to the feline quad system that did not increase performance then the warranty would be OK as it would be the same as going to kwik fit for a new back box and pipes. There might be interest in a replica quad conversion like that at a cheaper cost

A

Anonymous

Ok so we think that the only type of exhaust that people would be interested in is..

1: Quads.
2: No increase in power so less chance of warranty issues.

Would be very interesting to see how Peugeot UK routed their Quad system round that ioffset wheel well :lol:

A

Anonymous

I think the way Pegeot placed the secondary exhaust, with the pipe that passes "inside" the bumper, between the spare wheel and the reverse/fog light, is very dangerous.
The oem system is very quiet and conservative, so I guess the most of the hear is dissipated once the gas reach that pipe, but with a more direct exhaust it would be hotter and it could burn the plastic and the light wires!

The OEM catback system is not bad, very straight, a bit heavy to be quiet but I've seen worse in terms of efficiency.
Seems all the car with the PSA/BMW engine were designed with simple and effective exhaust systems (Cooper S, DS3, 207 GTI, RCZ...)

If we talk about performance with a complete system..well that's another story. To have the best results you need to move the cat downstream, under the car, and use a quality sports cat to keep emission down and the CEL light off.
And this is expensive!

So:
-If you want just sound, get a catback with a non resonated centre section.
-A dual exhaust is a risk. If you burn the wires I'm almost certain the warranty wouldn't cover it, as it was your fault...if you fit the oem exhaust when you have done the damage, is not hard to get what happened for a mechanic. To prove it is a different matter...
-Performance wise, the best solution is a single exhaust, with a single high efficiency cat under the car and not on the downpipe. Turbo life span will increase and the car will respond much better to a remap.
-Warranty will almost certainly be voided with the complete system, so you could replace the exhaust every time you to to the dealer, talk to the dealer before fitting it and see if he agrees, or find an alternative solution for servicing it...
-Warranty with a catback, here in Italy, stays intact, if the product is homologated following european regulations. I don't know in the UK.

A

Anonymous

Thanks very much for the input! Its very kind of you to share your knowlege! :D

The Idea for my project would be to create a simple cat back replacement for those that want just that little bit better noise.

would this diagram be correct??

A

Anonymous

Or am I right in thinking that the CAT would bolted pretty much onto the Turbo?

Had a meeting this morning the guys at the development base to discuss options.. and It looks like I will most cetainly be undercutting the prices already on the market by a significant ammount. Minimum batch order would be about 5 Items on top of my prototype.

For the Price difference I would be pushed to opt for the Cat Back system.

Higher Quality Mid box to give the car a bit more aural appeal and tie it into the standard tailpipes.

There is certainly the option to "go quad" although the more I look into the more I come to the conclusion that the RCZ was never intended to have a quad system and any attempts will just result in a "bridge pipe" like the feline kit.

The kit will be 304 grade (non-magnetic type) stainless tubing and tailpipes.

Pipe diameters etc will stay the same to conform to manufacturers specs so its a "replacement" rather than a performance upgrade as such seeing how efficient the standard system is...

A

Anonymous

On the PSA/BMW engine the best way to have a better exhaust is to move the cat under the car, replacing the oem unit with a high-efficieny sports metallic cat.

A

Anonymous

That's funnily enough exactly what the designer said... It would make it more expensive... But still most affordable.

At the end of the day though the design will be driven by the forum demand.

A

Anonymous

Top thread this Figo........keep us appraised of developments. I must say the quads and the sound are the top factors for me.

A

Anonymous

I am looking to buy exhaust with 4 pipes the best price so far is £540 which i think is overpriced for the work involved. If anyone can get me cheaper drop me a line at [email protected]
thanks john

RCZ-Performance

Reaction score
I think this is a good thread, however the price of the Ruffer was not £1000 it was £800 (this includes shipping). Okay seems still high but quality and results speak for the price. You can probably build the same system yourself for cheaper if you spend the time, but with all new products for a company you are paying for the engineering time it took to design and test it. So I see the price going down eventually. Already there are several different variations of the exhaust now, so the development is over, now it is just a matter of selling them. I am the first in England to do this exhaust, and I love it and have no regrets for buying it. I am a true believer in that you get what you pay for. Good luck in your quest and keep us posted.

A

Anonymous

Latest update:

Been talking today with the manufacturer... not just a DIY jobby anymore... but a well known name in performance tuning..

So how does this sound...

Full stainless steel.
True Quad solution.
Cat back system not just back box
under £800

Sounds not to shabby. But dealing with this manufacturer would mean limited control to my design and as such no control over future batches.

Is there actually a want for a cheaper, better quality system?:/

A

Anonymous

Figo.
You are young, you have a certain interest in how a exhaust sounds. I suspect a lot of RCZ owners are old farts like me. We are well past that stage in our lives now. I have the feline Quads and it gives my car the balanced look that I was looking for. Be careful before you commit your funds in the believe that you hold the majority view, as I suspect that most RCZ owners love the look and are happy with the standard exhaust system.