What's new
Peugeot RCZ Forum

Register a free account today to become a member. It's free! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, connect with other members through your own private inbox and take part in competitions!

Parts replacement - fuel consumption increased... HELP!

Silverbullit

Reaction score
Howdy mates!
I really could need your expertize, my fuel consumption increased a lot!
Got me my dreamy RCZ, drove it home (driven it around 100 Swedish miles/1000 kilometers) and
Doublechecked fuel consumption, slightly above 0,53 liters/Swedish Mile (10 kilometers)

I am not a mechanic altho I replaced some stuff in need of replacing (Not a mechanic = Total Noob!)

Fuel consumption is now North of 0,8 liters/Swedish Mile (10 kilometers)
(And yes, these are both highway milage long drive counts of the exact same type as in NOT short runs)

I really thought new air filters, spark plugs, more fluid oils 0w30 and so forth would further better/lower fuel consumption - why did it rampage up?!?

What could have happened?

It might be of help to know what I replaced/fiddled with...
I did change the worn out tires, it is colder the second run since Winter is here but still... should it not take less fuel when I fix stuff?
Dunno if it matters but I did search a lot of tests for the test winning parts/fluids and consulted two independent (God Level) mechanics that signed off on my OCD level pickyness to get best quality replacement stuff. (I even went further trying to fix and treat the parts against rust and the powers may be messing with lifespans)
English is far from great and mebbe even worse than my non existent mechanical skills

Stuff replaced/fixed;
Strengthened Engine Chain
High pressure pump
(The 0,53 l/mile still consistent after the above two was replaced)
Replaced Coolant
Replaced Break Fluid Dot4
Air filter (Had N E V E R been changed, was just a thick crust and seemed 100% efficient air seal)
Coupe air filter
Oil (0w/30 for arctic winter)
Oil filter
Gearbox Oil
Winter Tires (Good Year Arctic 2 Studded tires, 1st price winner on Grip/Fuel Consumption)
Coil Springs (All around)
Shocks (All around)
Break pads (All around)
Break discs (Rotors?!?)
Rear Calipers
Rear Wheel Bearings
New Battery (Test Winner, More Amp hrs higher start power)
Spark plugs

(I cleaned out E V E R Y T H I N G I could fiddle in to, including hoses and fixed leaks and stuff like re-attached the hose-thing I suspect "returns gas/air mixture for better clean burn/emissions" asf)

I really thought new air filters, spark plugs, more fluid oils 0w30 and so forth would further better/lower fuel consumption - why did it rampage up?!?
I need your expertize mates, wuzz goin on here?!?

/Silverbullit a.k.a. Tobbe the Swede with Sideburns and owner of an awesome RCZ!!! 😃😃😃

20221126_163034.jpg

20221210_200821.jpg

20221218_022854.jpg

20221218_022839.jpg

Oh and a small thought...
Does anyone have a picture/plan on how the fuel line is drawn underneath the car from tank to engine?
I would appreciate that, maybe something got damaged when if fell off the jack when the jackpoints caved in to the chassis (3 of them did despite plywood on 2/3 attempt to jack...)
So a picture might help me follow and identify if theres a pinch/leakage on the fuel line...

Last edited:

Pedro

Reaction score
Fuel consumption increase can mean engine is running too rich from a fuel air ratio issue although seeing what you have done I can't see any real problem if it was leaking fuel underneath it would give off a strong vapour old trick is leave cardboard on the floor under car & let it idle for a while & maybe just rev it now & again to increase the fuel line pressure
Maybe you could scan the ECU for high & low fuel trim data & fault codes?

Silverbullit

Reaction score
Fuel consumption increase can mean engine is running too rich from a fuel air ratio issue although seeing what you have done I can't see any real problem if it was leaking fuel underneath it would give off a strong vapour old trick is leave cardboard on the floor under car & let it idle for a while & maybe just rev it now & again to increase the fuel line pressure
Maybe you could scan the ECU for high & low fuel trim data & fault codes?
Thanks for the advice Pedro, I imagine this means I would need to find someone who has one of them things you hook up to the car to check fault codes?

Pedro

Reaction score
Code readers often called OBD scan tools there are many on the market & some work with your phone they are not all that expensive I have a Topdon small scanner & a bigger one a Foxwell 604 Elite which will scan the whole systems on Euro & Asian cars