What's new
Peugeot RCZ Forum

Register a free account today to become a member. It's free! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, connect with other members through your own private inbox and take part in competitions!

Painting Mk2 headlights Black

PhilUK

Reaction score
Hi All, New to the forum.

Just collected a 2014 1.6GT that unfortunately doesn't have the Black Pack and I want to convert the (non Xenon) headlights to be being Black.

Has anyone painted their (non Xenon) headlight reflectors Black on a MK2 as I'm looking for pics of how it looks when finished?

Don't want to go down the wrapping or Spi-Vision film route.

Woodso

Reaction score
Is it actually legal to do this? I would have thought that this would affect the spread of the light.

PhilUK

Reaction score
Woodso said:
Is it actually legal to do this? I would have thought that this would affect the spread of the light.

Sorry for the confusion. I'm referring to painting the main mirrored shroud within the headlight (the same as supplied with the Black Pack), not the bulb reflectors.

I have seen pics (below) of it being done on the Mk1 on this forum but wanted to see the results on a Mk2

DKZ5745

Reaction score
I think I read previously on the forum someone wanted to do this but they had problems splitting the units. I don’t remember if they ever managed it.

2retro

Reaction score
Did mine with Spi-Vision. Much easier, looks ace and doesn't seem to reduce the light output much at all. :thumbup:

PhilUK

Reaction score
My other option would be to upgrade to Black Xenon units.

Think I read somewhere that Pug 308 headlights are a direct replacement? Can anyone confirm?

I guess these may be cheaper to do a Xenon swap with :eusa-think:

PhilUK

Reaction score
2retro said:
Did mine with Spi-Vision. Much easier, looks ace and doesn't seem to reduce the light output much at all. :thumbup:

Just seen pics of yours and it does look nice! :thumbup:

Can you remember what size sheet of Spi-Vision you used?

frankvdb

Reaction score
PhilUK said:
My other option would be to upgrade to Black Xenon units.

Think I read somewhere that Pug 308 headlights are a direct replacement? Can anyone confirm?

I guess these may be cheaper to do a Xenon swap with :eusa-think:

If you want that upgrade to be legal, you also have to add headlight leveling and washers.

PhilUK

Reaction score
Surely headlight levelling would be integral to the replacement headlight units?

frankvdb

Reaction score
PhilUK said:
Surely headlight levelling would be integral to the replacement headlight units?

Yes, but I can imagine that you have to change some settings in the board electronics so that the car is aware and activates the automatic leveling when required.
Adding the washers will be much a bigger chore since you will also have to cut holes in the bumper.

2retro

Reaction score
PhilUK said:
2retro said:

Just seen pics of yours and it does look nice! :thumbup:

Can you remember what size sheet of Spi-Vision you used?

No idea I'm afraid as I took it somewhere local and let them do it. There's a better pic around here somewhere of it half done so you can see the difference. I'll try and find it...

Here you go: http://www.peugeotrczforum.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=10984&p=129830

Plecodoras

Reaction score
Yes it's not an easy job to do a conversion on the xenon's and by law you have to have the washers.

The other question as has been answered, is you have to split the headlight open do what you have to do, then glue the whole thing back together.

Much easier and very similar appearance is do like 2retro.

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

PhilUK

Reaction score
Plecodoras said:
Yes it's not an easy job to do a conversion on the xenon's and by law you have to have the washers.

The other question as has been answered, is you have to split the headlight open do what you have to do, then glue the whole thing back together.

I'm familiar with the process of splitting the headlight and painting as I have done this on a few previous vehicles but the question was does anyone have any images of the finished product on a Mk2?

stewartwillsher

Reaction score
PhilUK said:
Plecodoras said:

I'm familiar with the process of splitting the headlight and painting as I have done this on a few previous vehicles but the question was does anyone have any images of the finished product on a Mk2?
Here you go ....

Attachments

• LGNfront.jpg
    LGNfront.jpg
    51 KB · Views: 6,327

PhilUK

Reaction score
Thanks but that pic is the Black Pack Xenon lights.

I was looking for a pic of painted Halogen lights as the light units within the headlights are different sizes to the Xenon ones so wanted to see how they look before ploughing ahead with mine.

stewartwillsher

Reaction score
PhilUK said:
Thanks but that pic is the Black Pack Xenon lights.

I was looking for a pic of painted Halogen lights as the light units within the headlights are different sizes to the Xenon ones so wanted to see how they look before ploughing ahead with mine.
Sorry! My bad! :oops: