What's new
Peugeot RCZ Forum

Register a free account today to become a member. It's free! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, connect with other members through your own private inbox and take part in competitions!

P1340 Camshaft position sensor B circuit Malfunction

thornebt

Reaction score
I got the P1340 error code on my OBDII fault code reader last week after engine misfiring. I looked the code up and it said it was a severe misfire on cylinder 4. I changed the coil pack and all seemed fine until I got the same error code and misfire today. I then found a different description for the error code:

P1340 Camshaft position sensor B circuit Malfunction

Whilst looking for connections to the camshaft postion sensor I noticed that the plastic multi connection block that I'm pointing to in the photo was incorrectly fitted above the metal bracket that's supposed to hold it in place. Subsequently this part was being forced higher than it should be. I managed to fit it correctly and my fault code has now cleared.

This connector block has a long plastic casing that goes down alongside the engine. Can anyone please tell me if this part is something to do with the camshaft position sensor? Perhaps it's wrong fitting produced the fault.

The part must have been fitted incorrectly by Peugeot some time ago as they did the timing chain, tensioner etc under warranty. It's a bit disappointing when the main dealer can't get it back together correctly!

Cheers. Bruce.

Attachments

• 001.JPG
    001.JPG
    181.7 KB · Views: 47,098

tianorth

Reaction score
Don't know if any of these are helpful

These are for a 200 bhp engine.

thornebt

Reaction score
Thanks Tianorth. Your diagrams show that the 200bhp engine has two camshaft position sensors. I've got the 156THP engine and it's easy to see one sensor on top of the timing case. If there's a second one I can't see it. The connector plug to the sensor was certainly at a skewed angle before due to the incorrectly fitted part so perhaps that was the problem. The sensors are just over £20 on Ebay so if I get the P1340 code recur I will replace it as it's an easy cheap job.

However, after fitting the other part correctly I've driven the car for 25 miles and it was fine. Time will tell.

Cheers. Bruce.

thornebt

Reaction score
Thanks again Tianorth. That confirms there is only one camshaft position sensor on the 156 engine. Cheers. Bruce.

thornebt

Reaction score
Well I thought I had fixed my P1340 problem but got the code come up again this evening. So I've ordered a new camshaft position sensor. I'm not sure what is meant by 'B' in the error description but I guess that the circuit comprises the sensor, some circuit in the ECU and the wires inbetween. So I'll start with the replacement sensor. Perhaps it is a problem with the ECU but I don't know.

If the problem is more sinister and is something to do with the camchain I'll have to take it to Peugeot to fix it (they've already replaced the camchain, tensioner, guides etc under warranty) and I'll then look at part exchanging it for a Mercedes ML320 or similar. I previously had a Merc E Class for eight years and it never went wrong! You just get to trust cars like that!

Cheers. Bruce.

A

Anonymous

Hi Bruce...

I was having loads of trouble with my camshaft position sensors. I took it to my Peugeot dealer and they tried to con me into getting the complete timing chain changed. They didn't even look ay the car - if they had then they would have seen that I had the complete chain done only a few months previous at a different garage.

It turned out that all I needed was to have the adaptions reset, whatever that means. I took it back to the garage that did the chain and that sorted it straight away.

I will never trust main dealers again. Just question what they say to you - or get a second opinion if possible. The AA technician that towed my car to Peugeot recommended the reset, but even after paying Peugeot £167 to diagnose the problem, they still failed to find the exact problem.

Hope this helps

thornebt

Reaction score
Hi. Thanks very much. I had a quick look on the web and it looks like having the adaptions reset is something to do with the ECU. Does anyone know please?

Cheers. Bruce.

drdino

Reaction score
That's a routine that's ran using the manufacturer's diagnostic tool (Diagbox or PPS2000). You shouldn't have to reset them unless some component has been changed. It's possible that swapping the camshaft sensor requires this afterwards.

thornebt

Reaction score
Thanks very much drdino. So I just need to change the camshaft position sensor and then take it to someone who has Diagbox or PPS2000. I feel like I'm on the way to a cure! Cheers. Bruce.

drdino

Reaction score
No worries. How have you read the DTC? If you have got an obd tool, it's easy to read the fuel trims.

thornebt

Reaction score
Hi. I read the error code with my OBDII reader. But I don't know what the fuel trims are or how to read them. Are the fuel trims related to the camshaft timing in some way? Cheers. Bruce.

drdino

Reaction score
If you have an app on your phone, the info is all there. For example, using the Torque app on an android phone.

Yes, too large fuel trims can indicate timing issues. On thp engines especially it has been observed that as the timing goes out, the long term ft goes to >10%.

thornebt

Reaction score
I took my RCZ to the garage round the corner as they are a Bosch Service Centre and I thought they would be up to the job of doing the adaptions reset. They said they couldn't do it but I just wonder if it is because I'm going to change the camshaft sensor myself instead of paying them to do it. But I then went down to a local auto electrician who has an industrial unit near me. Only a young chap but he knew all about it. He said that the adaptions would need to be reset after changing the sensor and suggested I change it at his premises just in case the car refuses to move afterwards although he said it would probably continue in limp mode.

So the sensor arrives tomorrow. I'll change it at the auto electricians and he'll do the diagnostic and adaptions reset for about £40. This must beat paying Peugeot who would probably want £100 just for the diagnostic part! Fingers crossed!

Cheers. Bruce.

A

Anonymous

Where abouts are you Bruce? That mechanic does sound good!

Peugeot charged me £167 to diagnose stuff that didn't need doing..