What's new
Peugeot RCZ Forum

Register a free account today to become a member. It's free! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, connect with other members through your own private inbox and take part in competitions!

P1339 & P0343

tm2204

Reaction score
Driving close to home earlier... EML kicks in, engine running rough/misfiring. Struggle to get her home & when I stop fan is roaring full blast for about 5 mins before she stops.

Scanned & it threw up P1339 & then P0343 after I cleared the P1339 a few times.

Looked it up and it looks like its a CAM sensor issue. I've a new VVT Solenoid & chain tensioner waiting to go in, maybe my P0016 was CAM sensor related as well?

Just ordered a new CAM sensor there now and I'll go off investigating this some more but just putting it out there in case anybody has come across this before and might give me some advice.. Cheers.

Pedro

Reaction score
yea well posted the trouble with the cam/crank sensors is they talk to each via the ECU if one goes down the other triggers the limp mode because the timing will be affected

tm2204

Reaction score
Thanks Pedro. I'm pretty sure it's the cam sensor... I'll knows when the new one arrives and I swap it in 👍🏼

I've been having an intermittent P0016 issue so this could be related. I've a new VVT Solenoid & chain tensioner to swap in and a new rocker gasket to fit. Chain itself is very quiet so don't think the chain is stretched... however I'll inspect it and the guides with the valve cover off.

Pedro

Reaction score
Thanks Pedro. I'm pretty sure it's the cam sensor... I'll knows when the new one arrives and I swap it in 👍🏼

I've been having an intermittent P0016 issue so this could be related. I've a new VVT Solenoid & chain tensioner to swap in and a new rocker gasket to fit. Chain itself is very quiet so don't think the chain is stretched... however I'll inspect it and the guides with the valve cover off.
P0016 relates to the cam position correlation bank 1 ( cylinder1) sensor A which is a common factor with Engine timing misfire swop it out & clear the code then see what happens let us know how its going

tm2204

Reaction score
Swapped in the new cam sensor & not throwing P0343 anymore but still EML, fan on full blast & now P1336, P1337, P1338 & P0353. And still P1339

Car is in limp mode & idling really rough. I've replacement coils & plugs on the way (needed doing anyways).

No sign of P0087 so hopefully not the HPFP.

Pedro

Reaction score
Take the plugs out paying particular attention to no 3 cylinder see if any are wet ?

tm2204

Reaction score
Did that. Cylinder 3 plug wasn't wet but it was damp unlike the others.
Wasn't happy with any of the plugs tbh... New set of NGK Iridium's on the way 😁

Replacement Bosch coils arrived today, I replaced all 4... fitted in 5 mins and all good now 😁 No more error codes 👍🏼

Pedro

Reaction score
Well done cylinder No 3 is for some bizarre reason one of the culprits of rapid misfires especially on the Mini platforms

tm2204

Reaction score
Well done cylinder No 3 is for some bizarre reason one of the culprits of rapid misfires especially on the Mini platforms
Yes, I've noticed it always seems to be cylinder 3 for some reason.

Buddy

Reaction score
I had an engine repair req'd message come up a few weeks ago and EML was on the fault code was checked and shown as P0343, it was cleared and stayed off, then I sent the car for service, I was told that one plug was wet and that an injector needed to be replaced, it was running perfectly afterwards then two days later it had the engine repair message again and having bought a code reader checked it, P0343 nothing else, chain is quiet, the car is a 2011 156hp and has done 83,000, I've wondered about the cam chain as there are so many reports of timing chain failures but past experience of the internet reports tells me that one incident gets talked of hundreds of times! The wet plug is one clue as is the error code P0343, looking online there are many makers but who are the OEM? Thinking of going for Bosch but also Hitachi, I am concerned that the sensor fitted doesn't look like those that I see in the online catalogues. The only other sensor problem I have is the check coolant which flashes up every time I start it from cold and it repeats for about the first half mile as it warms up.

Last edited:

Buddy

Reaction score
Following the previous post, the P0343 code appeared again, the sensors were checked and found ok, further checks pointed to nothing else but the timing chain, so I had it done and the fault appeared to be the VVT on the intake camshaft, there was free movement of several degrees which was allowing the shaft to go outside the tolerable range of movement. It has all been changed, chain, sprockets tensioner etc. It does respond differently, tick over is exceptionally steady, the acceleration builds better than previously particularly in the higher rev range. I'll see how things go.