What's new
Peugeot RCZ Forum

Register a free account today to become a member. It's free! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, connect with other members through your own private inbox and take part in competitions!

P0087 Fault again after lots of work done

trembler2011

Reaction score
Hi,

My RCZ recently started going very wrong. AA out many times.

On 5/10/18 - It kicked off with a P0945 (Engine oil pump), P15A0 (engine oil pressure too high), P1030 Variable valve timing, P0299 (Boost pressure), P2262 (valve for boost pressure control, valve stuck open), P2263 (boost pressure).

Garage (non dealer) did an oil change and oil filter change as that can apparently affect the VVT. All ok for a month until...

On 4/11/18 - It then has the P0945 and P15A0 again and this time the P0087 (rail pressure sensor, inadequate pressure attained). Codes cleared by AA and he said ok to drive. Ok for 6 days. Then the same codes again on 5/11/18 except without the P0945.

Garage said lots pointed towards the timing chain and problem with the oil pressure relief valve so all that's been done (full chain kit and relief valve) - £1k+ for that lot including rest of a normal service as well.

It's been ok for 5 days. Even did a 250 mile round trip yesterday all ok.

Turned the key this morning and the P0087 code is back again (rail pressure sensor, inadequate pressure attained).

Any ideas? Can all these things really go wrong at once? I'm really hoping I haven't just had the timing chain done for no reason although the garage did say the timing was slightly out.

Interestingly I have just found out from Pug UK that the tensioner on this one was changed at 9k miles (don't know why though).

trembler2011

Reaction score
Forgot to add - the car is running absolutely fine. No loss of power, no limp mode. I only took for 2 miles round the block - I'm now going to stop driving it until it's back in the garage again.

AA man said he was able to clear the codes while the engine was off but not when the engine was running - it wouldn't let him.

wilsofar

Reaction score
Likewise lots of replacements to no avail, but only resolved when as a last resort the High pressure fuel pump was replaced -not by a dealer but my faithful Indy.

After 6 months I am finally learning to love driving the Z without waiting for the EML light and limp home to show themselves!

neilgsxr69

Staff member
Reaction score
Sorry to hear of your problems and I hope you can get to the bottom of your latest problem, Peugeot did release a revised tensioner as the original wasn’t doing its job properly so this may have been a precautionary replacement by a previous owner. if the car hasn’t previously had a timing kit then it would have probably needed one. Oil level on these engines are critical and regular checking is needed as most use oil, some more than others it’s always best to keep the level high. Sounds like you may have your HP fuel pump going down which I’m sure your aware is a common issue but usually at 60-80K miles they cost £350-£400 and should be no more than a couple of hours labour. :thumbup: