What's new
Peugeot RCZ Forum

Register a free account today to become a member. It's free! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, connect with other members through your own private inbox and take part in competitions!

p0016 engine failure - what brand timing chain is best?

Silverbullit

Reaction score
Howdy mates,
Since I got my error code filled RCZ I already have several hrs on the road, that be close to exclusively the travel distance between different repair shops and local car gurus.
Nothing seems to help more than a few minutes, the engine repair light shines brighter than the polar star and heckuva lot more frequent.

This time I have to order a timing chain kit,
and I need your advice doing so...
When I purchased the car 7 months ago the car dealer told me the high pressure pump and the timing chain had been replaced with a "stronger timing chain".

What are a stronger timing chain, are all brands "stronger" now???

I'm looking at the SKF timing chain kit, or is there a better option?
I want a quality one that can hold up more than 100 kilometers before needing replacement again.

Also what brands VVT valves and water pump and packing/seal kits should I get/do I need?

It is a 156bhp 2012 rcz, the plate says the engine is the version with 5 something and the V at the end of the code (The other option says U at the end of the code)

I really need your help mates!!!

Cheezus christ, when the guys at the repair shop starts crying when they see my RCZ you know it aint good!

May the force be with you,
/Silverbullit (In my case seems the dark force of RCZ mistakenly thinks I dropped a soap in the peugeot car washer)

Silverbullit

Reaction score
(The last part is literally true, my car interested friends that work repairing cars/heavy machinery and so forth unitedly stated this car is effin amazing. Questions if this is the candid camera died down by now. They have n e v e r in their totally amassed career of several hundreds of years seen a car even close to creping out error codes in the amounts my RCZ is performing. I literally seen tears in the eyes of a few of them and others getting nauseus when they see me rodeo-ing my car up on their drive way. So bringing car mechanics to tears is literally true to the letter!You know it is not good when you literally see the life of their happy eyes drain before your eyes when you say RCZ engine light/lamp...)

neilgsxr69

Staff member
Reaction score
The original timing kit did get updated with stronger guides and better tensioner,not sure about the actual chain, personally I would go for the dealer parts they’re not as expensive as you may think.

Silverbullit

Reaction score
The original timing kit did get updated with stronger guides and better tensioner,not sure about the actual chain, personally I would go for the dealer parts they’re not as expensive as you may think.
Oh... Was almost finished changing the timing chain when you posted this :oops: I got the SKF complete kit and basically everything else I could think of associated to the timing chain change... vvt valves, oil, oil filter, waterpump, knocking sensor, impulse sensor, packings, well yeah... like e v e r y t h i n g :rolleyes: (Even purchased the special tools needed for the change)

This is the one I got,
Was this the best option?
Is this the above updated package?

What brand is the dealer parts? (Yes I understand the box says Peugeot, but that the parts inside is made by another manufacturer such as SKF or someone preferable reputable)

My timing chain was changed when I purchased the car, it showed the car dealer DID NOT CHANGE THE CHAIN, but the previous girl that owned it had done it before the car dealership swapped it in... so it was just precisely a hair out of warrantee :/

The chain was supposed to be an uprated stronger timing chain and of a reputable brand,
we tracked the numbers on the chain down to a manufacturer named "ET" as in Engine Team
I dont think I driven my RCZ 1000 kilometers since it has been in the car shops 99% of the time since I purchased it in October

Meaning the chain was worn out after less than 100 swedish miles (1000 kilometers)... (It almost survived 10 hrs of me driving like an old fart!!!)

Amazing quality E.T. /Engine Team... *sigh*