What's new
Peugeot RCZ Forum

Register a free account today to become a member. It's free! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, connect with other members through your own private inbox and take part in competitions!

P0016 Cam/crank Error after valve gasket change - 1.6 Petrol

Digidick

Reaction score
Had an ongoing rocker cover oil leak for a while so decided to tackle it today and all went well until I started the car. As soon as I moved it the Engine light and corresponding warning flashed up on the dash. Gave it a scan with my Torque app and it came up with the P0016 error.

No other issues before this apart from the oil leak and no issues now apart from the error, car seems to drive as good as it did before.

Obvious thing to try next is a cam sensor.

Digidick

Reaction score
Instant update....

that issue was a couple of days ago and since then I’ve fitted a new Bosch Cam sensor and it’s still doing it. I’ve had the valve cover off again and all is well under there. No signs of a stretched chain as it’s still sitting snug under the guide unlike some pictures I’ve seen.

Engine oil is dirty and I’ve read that can be a possible issue with sensors but does that cause a sensor to go bad or a sensor to struggle to read what it needs to read?

thanks for any input.

Pedro

Reaction score
Maybe Electrical as Sensor "A" Bank 1 relates to the ECU not reading a signal for the Cam position try disconnecting & reconnecting the plug Then clear off the code & check for any other stored codes as per the dirty Oil your absolutely right this can interfere with the ECU signal system & degraded Oil can cause all manner of Problems in a high pressure turbo Engine

Digidick

Reaction score
Thank you. That plug has been off and on a few times so that part has been covered. Oil change happening this morning but it’s so puzzling what can happen just by changing the valve cover gasket.

RCZIain

Staff member
Reaction score
You could try a new crank sensor, seeing as how you've already fitted a cam sensor.

That's if clean oil doesn't sort it.

Then it's maybe time to check for damaged wiring/plugs.

Digidick

Reaction score
A new crank sensor has crossed my mind but I can’t find anywhere else that changing it has solved the issue. I know they talk to each other so 🤷‍♂️
All this after a valve cover change.

Digidick

Reaction score
Just to add the idle rpm seems to be around 950, bit high isn’t it?

Pedro

Reaction score
Possibly The ECU is trying to correlate the Timing correctly whilst receiving a Faulty signal this will affect the Idle speed -Lumpy idling so change the Oil & it should clear the fault its apparently a known factor that filthy Oil can be problematic with internal sensors in a lot of modern cars

Digidick

Reaction score
Oil changed and still the same. Think I’m done with it now, handing it over to a garage. Not often I get defeated.

Being honest it’s not my car but a friends and I like to help him when I can but failed this time.

Give me a Boxster or a BMW anytime, I know where I am with those.

So many threads on this but they always end without an update, drives you mad!!

Pedro

Reaction score
Top end on these Engines are a can of worms the odd thing is the cars is as you say still running sweet so it maybe electrical this P0016 Fault could also mean a VVTI fault a timing issue or even the crank/cam sensors no correlation but Bank1 can also point to the upstream Lambda sensor detecting the car is running too rich hence the ECU signal malfunction triggered for a timing fault & showing EML warning light

Digidick

Reaction score
Yes I think so. Single cam sensor, top right as you look at the engine

tm2204

Reaction score
Yes I think so. Single cam sensor, top right as you look at the engine
Is the single CAM sensor not the VVT Solenoid. Top left corner of engine (beside timing chain tensioner) as your looking into the engine bay from front of car?

Digidick

Reaction score
Camshaft sensor top right and crank sensor underneath the engine almost below it, those are the two that talk to each other or are you suggesting the VVT for the idle issue?

Pedro

Reaction score
The Cam & Crank are signaling the info together regarding the timing position so the ECU determines how much fuel/air ratio is needed if one of those sensors is contaminated with bad oil residues this will affect the operation of both so you did the Oil & made no difference so change the Crank if Bank 1 persists it may even be a fouled up Lambda sensor which is a simple clean up fix as for the idling issue over fueling will cause that effect

Digidick

Reaction score
Thanks again all for the input.
|

It's just bonkers all this has happened after a valve cover gasket change, sort one thing and now this. Wish I'd not offered to help lol!!

In the past though (other cars) crank sensors have caused starting issues, stalling..... getting none of this.

Pedro

Reaction score
Change the Crank sensor & see what happens you got nothing to lose

tm2204

Reaction score
Camshaft sensor top right and crank sensor underneath the engine almost below it, those are the two that talk to each other or are you suggesting the VVT for the idle issue?
I was led to believe the VVT solenoid was the cam sensor. Are you saying there is a separate cam sensor and it is the one 'talking' to the crank sensor to keep things in check?

RCZIain

Staff member
Reaction score
The VVT solenoids are fed by the oil system aren't they?
They only open/close if there is the prerequisite pressure.

I thought the cam and crank sensors were actual plug in electrical sensors.

Pedro

Reaction score
AS stated above the VVT works off oil pressure the Cam/Crank sensors are part of the ECU controlled electrical system you can't get confused by the difference unless your a politician?