What's new
Peugeot RCZ Forum

Register a free account today to become a member. It's free! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, connect with other members through your own private inbox and take part in competitions!

Owned years ago.....found myself searching autotrader and ebay.....

Gary_C

Reaction score
Hey folks,

I owned an RCZ a few years back now (around 2011, 2012). A black GT 156 with cream leather interior. Bought it second hand when it was only a year or so old (got a cracking deal). Incidentally if anyone knows where VE10 FBC is I'd love to know.

Anyway, I sold the car after it started to sound like a bag of bolts just before the 3 years warranty was up (literally the following week from when the dash lit up like a Christmas tree off a roundabout). It needed the dreaded timing chain changed out. After a lengthy to and fro I got Peugeot to cough up for it. Now that whole experience kinda soured me to the car sadly so I sold it on and started my love of pick up trucks when I moved out to the sticks.

However I found myself browsing autotrader after a few too many home brews (don't judge!) and started looking at RCZs. Some absolutely cracking deals out there.

For those that have had their cars longest I guess I have a few questions,

- Why are there so many cars out there that are 6 years plus with relatively low mileage that are only a few thousand quid? Like seriously, it seems crazy to see a car with 40k on the clock for 4 grand (I know the tyres were expensive but that surely can't be it). Are they just relatively undesirable?

- What other issues are there to look out for now that the cars been on the road a good while longer than the couple years I had mine? How does the underside hold up against the salt and harsh conditions on UK roads? Are electrical faults common as I remember the wiring loom being a solid inch thick mass of wiring in some places? Are the diesels more reliable than the 156 thp engines or should I look for the 200 variant instead?

- When I had mine there were few special editions. Seems that there's a lot more out there. Anything actually special with these beyond a change in the stitching on the seats?

I'm sure i'll have more questions but I just wanted to re-introduce myself and say hi

Gary

DKZ5745

Reaction score
Hi Gary, nice to have you back !

I think the price reflects the fact that the RCZ was always a bit of a Niche car. People wanting little two seaters won’t really want one, people wanting sports cars generally don’t consider them, the Peugeot brand itself is undesirable to so many people, and the silly thing is, the fact that they are really quite cheap now can also put people off - they can’t be a nice car or they would be more expensive.
Electrical issues - generally it’s just the odd sensor or two, nothing really expensive to fix if needed.
Coil packs - but again not that expensive, HPFP is something to bear in mind as this can be expensive if your not doing it yourself.
The Red Carbon edition did have a few nice extras but a lot of “standard” cars have similar extras from new as people buying the cars from new tended to want them to be as nice as possible.
The GT line was quite nice, offering the same exhaust configuration as the R, but with standard engines.
Just make sure you do the usual checks, and try to get a warranty with one.
I’ve had mine @ 7 years now & I still love it as much as the day I saw it in the showroom 👍

Ian J.

Reaction score
I've had some seriously good cars over the years including Jaguar XJs ,Jaguar XKR, Mercedes CLS, several E classes, etc etc but you know what, I'm currently on my 3rd RCZ and its nothing to do with the price of them, I just think they are great cars .
OK they do have some Achilles heels, mines currently in for a new timing chain kit at 30k miles but you've got to offset that against what you pay for them in the first place, seriously cheap for a work of art.

Verminator

Staff member
Reaction score
Hi there and welcome to the forum I have two Hdi RCZs in the household just love them.. As for the price think if you look petrol are slightly cheaper than the diesel. Look for as many extras as possible on the car Xenon lights, sat nav, leather seats, lowest milage.
, service history etc....
Happy hunting for your RCZ....
Stay safe and stay lucky 🍀
Les n Co

Ian J.

Reaction score
I would agree, from all accounts the diesel is better ,more reliable than the Petrol ,
If I can find a sub 20k 2015/2016 plate diesel one in 12 months I might be tempted.

Gary_C

Reaction score
Hey folks

Thanks for the replys. Good to know there aren't a huge number of issues. Any work I would do I'd be doing myself. Turned into a bit of a grease monkey in that regard since I had the RCZ. Changed everything from big end bearings and clutches to the simpler stuff so I'm sure I could handle most things that have been mentioned.

I think I'll keep my eye out for a diesel. Both my L200 and focus are diesels so it makes things easy to keep a track of!

Pedro

Reaction score
I often wondered where some of my old motors ended up but I imagine it would be almost impossible to trace a 1 tonne block smelted in a furnace ?😆

Gary_C

Reaction score
lol MOT and road tax are still current ;)

So I guess someone is looking after it still.