What's new
Peugeot RCZ Forum

Register a free account today to become a member. It's free! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, connect with other members through your own private inbox and take part in competitions!

Ongoing Strange Issue

kermitfrog123

Reaction score
Good morning all,

My car is a 2010 Peugeot 308 GT with the THP200 engine and has done a little over 100k miles. Not so common in a 308 I believe but is common in the RCZ hence posting here. I have read hundreds of posts and tried numerous different things. I am not 100% DIY friendly, but my car has been with a local independent a few times and I am still having issues.

So, at the moment my symptoms are as below:
  • Only When Cold I will get an error on the dash "Anti-Pollution System Faulty" and an engine management light. I have a cheap code reader which reads a variation of the below not always the same. If I clear the code it will disappear and will drive perfectly afterwards.
    • P0012 - A Camshaft Position Timing Over - Retarded Bank 1
    • P000A - A Camshaft Position Slow Response Bank 1
  • Anytime Hot or Cold if driving and hovering around 3500rpm I can see "Engine Management System Faulty" on the dash with no Engine Management Light and no codes stored. This error means that when driving I feel like I have no turbo (not limp mode but certainly no turbo mode). If I stop the car and turn off and on again this error goes away and the car drives perfectly again.
In an effort to resolve some of the issues above the car has had;
  • Timing Chain and Tensioner replaced
  • Turbo Diverter Valve
  • All Vacuum Pipes
  • Oil and Filter Change. 0w30 Castrol Oil
  • NGK Spark Plugs
  • Rocker Cover replaced
  • VVT Solenoid replaced
When the errors mentioned above are not present the car drives perfectly, pulls well with no knocks, bangs or engine rattles.

I know the car is old and high mileage but I love it. It is pristine inside and out and just has these gremlins. I would love to get this resolved but am lost at where to start. The independent garage basically gave up and gave me the car back. I am happy to spend the money to fix the car but would rather my money wasnt spent trying things on a "maybe this is the problem" attitude.

My opinion (not qualified in anyway) is that because the car drives perfectly when these errors are not present it must not be a mechanical problem and more of a sensor issue.

Any help anyone can offer would be much appreciated.

Many thanks
Joe

Pedro

Reaction score
P000A is the inlet camshaft position so the PCM (power train control module) is tracking a different position when the Cam Phase changes
Change the cam sensor see if the fault corrects itself & when you say you have no turbo might be the engine timing is the issue & Anti depollution faults are mainly due to fuel air ratio problems being picked up by the Oxygen sensors in the exhaust system whereby mixture is too weak or to rich

Pedro

Reaction score
The problems your stating is like opening a can of worms as these codes an throw up so many red herrings
Maybe its a software issue
Those 2 codes are known to log timing issues & that can affect the speed at which Turbo boost occurs

kermitfrog123

Reaction score
The problems your stating is like opening a can of worms as these codes an throw up so many red herrings
Maybe its a software issue
Those 2 codes are known to log timing issues & that can affect the speed at which Turbo boost occurs
If it was a timing issue would the car drive perfectly a lot of the time and only drive strange if the codes are present.

Pedro

Reaction score
Doubt it as you would get misfire/multiple misfires & that triggers the Knock sensor the codes are stored in the memory of the ECU & may pop up when a fault occurs
When you say you have "No Turbo" is the car accelerating as it should I have the 200 GT I only have to tickle the pedal & its off off the leash so what is happening is it sluggish then picks up speed ?

kermitfrog123

Reaction score
@Pedro - So when the second problem I wrote about occurs (3500rpm and then EngineManagement Message, No Code) this is 100% drivable and does accelerate but there is definitely no boost. If I stop and start the car all is fine again.

The first problem I wrote about is the one that concerns me more as it does produce codes etc but it only happens when cold and drives perfectly after I clear the code.

Ricc03

Reaction score
May be a "simple" random software error by the CPU ?

The strange things is the perfect functionality if you turn off and on the car...so, I believe you have only a software problem...I never heard about REAL problems solved by "turn off-turn on".

In Italy we had some similar case.

(sorry for my english)

Pedro

Reaction score
May be a "simple" random software error by the CPU ?

The strange things is the perfect functionality if you turn off and on the car...so, I believe you have only a software problem...I never heard about REAL problems solved by "turn off-turn on".

In Italy we had some similar case.

(sorry for my english)
My thoughts exactly as when he turns the car off & on the ECU is for some reason triggering error codes which are not showing in the functionality of the cars systems be it mechanical or electrical he says his Turbo is lagging but that can be attributed to timing issues which can also point to the Anti depollution fault warning showing meaning unburnt fuel is entering the exhaust & detected by the upstream/downstream Lambda sensors & the lack of power could even mean he has fuel rail issues from a possible faulty HP fuel pump ?

Ricc03

Reaction score
The only solution could be a temporary ECU change, to verify if the problem recurs.

I don't know if possible...

I don't believe there is a problem with the fuel pump, because by now it would have broken and the car would have stopped

kermitfrog123

Reaction score
I agree. I think ECU or wiring. I forgot to mention that recently I have had a melted plug where the rear light cluster is connected and my drivers door has stopped locking. I wonder if this could be an earth fault or battery fault which has also led to a damaged ecu?

Ricc03

Reaction score
good question; with the modern CPU a battery fault may be dangerous...

neilgsxr69

Staff member
Reaction score
Your cold issue could be that at the mileage of the car the intake vales will need a de coke if never done 🤔

Pedro

Reaction score
Thanks. How can this be done as a DIY (I don’t have anyone local who can walnut blast)

can I spray a cleaner directly into the intake?
Walnut blasting was recommended at 60.000 Klms on these & most direct injection engines so your has done a fair bit of mileage unless its been cleaned previously? You could try injecting cleaner into the engine but no guarantees it will clean the build up around the valves & seats there are factors pointing to valve carbon issues
Does it burn any amount of oil?
Is there any sooty deposits on the exhaust tips?

kermitfrog123

Reaction score
I am unsure if it had been done before. I have owned the car for the last 15k maybe 20k.

I will look to find someone to do it if possible.

If I try spraying cleaner in is there a certain type of cleaner or just some carb clean.

It does burn a small amount of oil and yes the exhaust tips are black.