What's new
Peugeot RCZ Forum

Register a free account today to become a member. It's free! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, connect with other members through your own private inbox and take part in competitions!

Onboard Camera - Dashcam

thornebt

Reaction score
After a taxi reversed into my RCZ the other day and then claimed I drove into the back of him I've been thinking about the benefits of an onboard camera. It seems fairly standard that these switch on with the ignition so you don't need to remember to turn it on, and they typically record for about three hours before overwriting the footage. There are several other features like them turning on if your car gets bumped when parked and also they often automatically protect footage prior to and after any impact.

Most of these dashcams are fixed behind the rear view mirror but I don't think this will be suitable due to the black shading in the top centre of the screen. Some are fixed with suction mounts but I don't think these are a good long term way of fixing them.

I spent about three hours looking at the wide range of cameras and seem to be going round in circles. Has anybody fitted one in their RCZ please?

A

Anonymous

I to have been looking come up with same question also running wires for power not sure i want to start hiding wires in new RCZ or have wires trailing from 12v sockets will be following this post to see if any recommended for the same reasons
Was talking to a friend who said he has now used the rubber from an old sat nav with camera in (hes cut out very centre and sealed camera in it ....its not a "dash-cam"more a button hole job ) but he has trailing wire syndrome but he assures me its just a lick and stick where his tax used to be so no loss of vision but its not what you call high def he wont read this so can say its pretty poor but small and removable :?:

stagger321

Reaction score
@ thornebt
I've been wondering the same myself.
Have not long had the car so not really had a good luck at where one of these can go. Was going to get one of the mobius units http://www.techmoan.com/blog/2013/7...e-do-it-all-mount-anywhere-1080p-micro-c.html, for prev car - but then changed to the RCZ so did not bother.
Another good option is the Mini 0803 Car DVR reviewed here http://www.techmoan.com/blog/2014/6/15/mini-0803-probably-the-best-mini-dashcam-with-a-screen.html but again - as you say its where you mount it thats the tricky bit.

Its something I need to sort out over the next few weeks/months, but can't guarantee when. Will have a look when time allows.

stagger321

Reaction score
tianorth said:
I have these fitted at the moment, after being hit by another driver that is claiming I changed lanes into them, when they moved from lane 3 to my lane (lane 2).

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/290985530156?_trksid=p2060778.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

Using a 32 gb micro card. Records front and rear at same time.
Hi there,
So the question both thornebt and myself would have is - where do you have this fitted in the car.
As you have SatNav like me and the rear view mirror further restricts the view through the front screen there is only so much extra you can clog up the already limited RCZ's front field of view.
Also - is this a permanent setup with wiring hidden behind panelling (where possible) or is it a case of the power lead dangling from the DVR to your 12V connector in the centre console?
For myself I want to get a permanent setup which is hardwired to a fuse box outlet and switches on/off with the ignition. Also I don't want the camera to restrict front view of view any, and not too visible from outside the car (for any prospective thief)

tianorth

Reaction score
Here are a few pics of my installation

1) looking from the outside

2) From inside

3) From driving position

Notice in the top right of rear view mirror you can just see rear cam (not noticeable when driving as pic was taken a bit too far to the left.

Attachments

• Front Outside.jpg
    Front Outside.jpg
    247.5 KB · Views: 11,765
  • Rear Outside.jpg
    Rear Outside.jpg
    247.3 KB · Views: 11,766
  • Front Inside 1.jpg
    Front Inside 1.jpg
    250.2 KB · Views: 11,766
  • Rear Inside.jpg
    Rear Inside.jpg
    242.9 KB · Views: 11,766
  • Front Inside 2.jpg
    Front Inside 2.jpg
    250.7 KB · Views: 11,765

tianorth

Reaction score
As the front cam only has a short length of cable (2.5m I think) I ran it from the windscreen next to the rear view mirror, into the head liner and over to the A pillar cover, which I had unclipped to run the wire down behind, I had also unclipped the triangle cover on the end of the dashboard, and then threaded the wire through the fuse box area to the square cut out in the glovebox. I then removed the seal around the top of the door (watch out for the white gunge, as its a pain to get off the pillar covers, headlining etc, removed the B pillar cover, broke a clip, but cheap enough from peugeot, which allowed me to pull down the head lining enough to be able to stow the excess wire from the rear cam (5m I think), it also allowed me to get the cam to the back of the head lining, just stuck it to the glass and then threaded the wire above the head lining, and then better positioned the cam and pulled the wire taught so not much wire is shown at the rear cam. Then threaded the wire down the A pillar through the fuse box area and into the glovebox.
I ran the power on the inside of the centre console up behind/underneath the glovebox to keep wire from showing over to the passenger side, up into the fuse area, across into glovebox.
I also fitted a cigarette extension with USB which I fitted loosely into the centre console directly under the rear stowage bin where you put the usb stick, in the usb (on the cigarette extension) I fitted a phone power cable which I threaded past the gear stick to come up under the ashtray on passenger side, a bit fiddley but worth it.
The cigarette extension plugs into the cigarette socket and runs over to the handbrake and the underneath the centre console.
Took me about 1-2hrs to fit (I did try a few trial runs first before final fix. Cameras have not fallen off, or become unstuck.
Most people don't see the cameras, but ask what the cigarette socket is plugged into.

I have my video set to 10 minute record, so if the journey is long enough it records the whole journey but splits the files into 10 minute clips.
I can see if I can get 2 vids added to this thread if your interested (1 front, 1 rear)

Chris

Attachments

• Front Inside 1.jpg
    Front Inside 1.jpg
    250.2 KB · Views: 11,757
  • Inst 1.jpg
    Inst 1.jpg
    246.6 KB · Views: 11,757
  • Rear Inside.jpg
    Rear Inside.jpg
    242.9 KB · Views: 11,757
  • Glovebox.jpg
    Glovebox.jpg
    249 KB · Views: 11,757

tianorth

Reaction score
pics of power cigarette extension

the wire when pushed back under the centre console, the usb end fits into the back of the ashtray and keeps it out of sight, open the ashtray and cable then falls out push the ashtray back in and then plug in the phone to charge.

All very neat and tidy.

Attachments

• cigarette extension.jpg
    cigarette extension.jpg
    246.5 KB · Views: 11,761
  • Phone USB Power 1.jpg
    Phone USB Power 1.jpg
    245.9 KB · Views: 11,760
  • Phone USB Power 2.jpg
    Phone USB Power 2.jpg
    241.3 KB · Views: 11,761
  • Phone USB Power 3.jpg
    Phone USB Power 3.jpg
    238.1 KB · Views: 11,759
  • Phone USB Power 4.jpg
    Phone USB Power 4.jpg
    247.9 KB · Views: 11,760

tianorth

Reaction score
stagger321 said:
Hi there,
So the question both thornebt and myself would have is - where do you have this fitted in the car.

As you have SatNav like me and the rear view mirror further restricts the view through the front screen there is only so much extra you can clog up the already limited RCZ's front field of view.
From my outward view both front and rear I cannot see the cameras, passengers cannot see the cameras and if they do it's usually the rear cam they see as I have to point out the front facing cam.

Also - is this a permanent setup with wiring hidden behind panelling (where possible) or is it a case of the power lead dangling from the DVR to your 12V connector in the centre console?
the only cabling you can see is if you look at the cameras, the wire coming out of the back and then to the head lining.

For myself I want to get a permanent setup which is hardwired to a fuse box outlet and switches on/off with the ignition.
Mine was setup direct to the cigarette socket, but then I could not charge my phone and record at the same time. So bought one similar to this with 2 USBs and 3 x 12v, Only using 1 of the 12v and 1 of the USBs.

Also I don't want the camera to restrict front view of view any, and not too visible from outside the car (for any prospective thief)
Because of the tint and curves of the rear glass you cannot see the cam unless you know what to look for and where. The same with the front, because its on the dotted area you might see the sucker but not the cam, again you have to look hard to see the sucker.

Attachments

• 12v extension socket with usb.jpg
    12v extension socket with usb.jpg
    93.9 KB · Views: 11,756

thornebt

Reaction score
Many thanks Tianorth for such a comprehensive answer and all the photos of a very neat installation. It is much appreciated.

As far as the power to the unit is concerned another option might be the 'add-a-circuit' option as shown on this Ebay listing:-

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/310917899244? ... EBIDX%3AIT

This gives you an additional outlet from an existing fuse. There might also be some spare fuses anyway?

This would mean cutting off the cigarette lighter plug from the power lead and I'm not sure what other electrical bits feature in this plug. Or perhaps it's possible to get a generic cigarette lighter and install it behind the dash or in the glovebox so the power lead can remain in one piece.

tianorth

Reaction score
The power lead is long enough to go from the glovebox through the fuse area down under the glovebox along to the centre console, through the passenger side of the centre console (on the inside) past the gear stick and to the back of the console.
Because you switch on the ignition to drive this then also power the cigarette lighter socket and therefore powers the recording unit.
Apparently the unit has a small battery life and if your car is bumped whilst parked it should record this event. Don't know how hard it has to be bumped for the recording to start.

Using a cigarette extension has the benefit that if you don't want it to record you just unplug it before switching on, for example to move the car to allow better access for washing.

I have 2 x 32gb cards that I use for this device, swapping between them so I don't lose any clips.

Chris

stagger321

Reaction score
thornebt said:
Many thanks Tianorth for such a comprehensive answer and all the photos of a very neat installation. It is much appreciated.

As far as the power to the unit is concerned another option might be the 'add-a-circuit' option as shown on this Ebay listing:-

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/310917899244? ... EBIDX%3AIT

This gives you an additional outlet from an existing fuse. There might also be some spare fuses anyway?

This would mean cutting off the cigarette lighter plug from the power lead and I'm not sure what other electrical bits feature in this plug. Or perhaps it's possible to get a generic cigarette lighter and install it behind the dash or in the glovebox so the power lead can remain in one piece.
Mate - you beat me to it. That is exactly the option I would be using

@Tianorth A very comprehensive post - Thanks So as aside from the fusebox option thornebt has listed, it looks like a workable solution to me.
I was toying with the Mobius or Mini 0803 option I listed from techmoans review, however I was wondering if I could find a dual lens unit to cover all the bases. I am intrigued how well this works and how reliable??
Techmoan has listed one himself - http://www.techmoan.com/blog/2014/9...th-the-vico-marcus-5-dual-1080p-dash-cam.html but this is significantly more outlay than your unit.

If you are able to post a link to some vids from the unit that would be great :beer:

thornebt

Reaction score
@Stagger321. The Techmoan review was excellent. All looked good until he showed the unit installed in the windscreen. It seemed overly large. As Techmoan suggested it would be better if they had two cameras like the rear camera with the box of tricks located somewhere out of the way - maybe the glovebox. There are loads of dashcams with just front camera but if you're going to the effort of installing one it makes sense to have both front and rear. I'm going to try to find a dual unit but with just a small camera in the screen. If I find one I'll stick the details on this post. The search continues...

stagger321

Reaction score
thornebt said:
@Stagger321. The Techmoan review was excellent. All looked good until he showed the unit installed in the windscreen. It seemed overly large. As Techmoan suggested it would be better if they had two cameras like the rear camera with the box of tricks located somewhere out of the way - maybe the glovebox. There are loads of dashcams with just front camera but if you're going to the effort of installing one it makes sense to have both front and rear. I'm going to try to find a dual unit but with just a small camera in the screen. If I find one I'll stick the details on this post. The search continues...
Yep, I agree, the Marcus unit Techmoan reviewed does look overly big.
That's why I am intrigued by the unit tianorth has got. Two relatively small cameras and a head unit you can hide away.
But it really boils down to how well the unit record quality wise.
It really needs to be able to record reg numbers accurately to fit my requirements.

thornebt

Reaction score
After a few more hours trawling the web I think I have decided on which camera to buy. It's the Mobius Dual Camera Bundle. It's basically an 'action camera' but in this bundle is configured for use as a car dashcam. The cameras are extremely small and there is no monitor - you just download to your PC via the USB lead to view anything. There are options for a standard lens or wide angle. Apparently the wide angle has slight fish eye effect but there are side by side comparison videos on Youtube.

It's a bit more expensive considering it doesn't have some of the fancy features of other dashcams but it's the size of the cameras that has sold it to me and the quality of the image. Price is £135. Two hardwire kits add £22. Another optional extra is two 32GB Class 6 Micro SD cards but they add another £56. I thought memory was cheap these days so I'll do a bit more Googling to try to find them cheaper.

I will probably buy this camera bundle from the CarCameraShop although I believe it's available more cheaply from Ebay via China.

http://www.carcamerashop.co.uk/mobius-a ... undle.html

I am determined to make a neat installation job of this kit so I'll be taking my time to hide all the leads away behind trim. I reckon it's going to take me at least a couple of days and a lot of head scratching to make a good job of it. When installed I'll post a few photos on here.

tianorth

Reaction score
I got my cameras and recording unit for about £67 delivered.
Got 2 x 32gb micro (class 10) SD cards from E Buyer for £11.98 each.

Ebuyer.com
7dayshop.com

These are places I am happy to buy from.

I think in the ebay link for the cameras it gives dimensions of the cameras and unit.

A

Anonymous

mine is a blackvue camera its now fitted in my fourth vehicle, all i do is reformat the card when i think on.
i fitted it originally for the same reason, driver reversed into me and the blamed me for it. its peace of mind. :thumbup:

stagger321

Reaction score
Well, to be different, I've gone for a Mini 0801 http://www.techmoan.com/blog/2013/8...-1080p-gps-car-camera-with-an-lcd-screen.html
Its the slightly older brother to the Mini 0803 that I posted a link to above, but its been superseded, so the price is less.

This was Techmoans car DVR of choice last year so can't be all that bad.

Will be linking to the Fuse box via a 12V - 5V step down adapter (yet to purchase) after I have tested the unit ia the cigar adapter..

If I am satisfied with it I will buy another for the rear window.
:beer:

thornebt

Reaction score
Hi Stagger. I've just watched Techmoans review of the Mini0801 and it is a very compact camera and looks like a very good option. I might well go for one of those myself and, like you, add the rear camera later. I was previously looking for two cameras in a kit but the Mobius dual kit is just two separate cameras sold together, no components are shared between them. I didn't realise that these cameras were 5V. When you find the 12V - 5V step down gadget could you post a link to it on here please? Cheers. Bruce.

stagger321

Reaction score
thornebt said:
Hi Stagger. I've just watched Techmoans review of the Mini0801 and it is a very compact camera and looks like a very good option. I might well go for one of those myself and, like you, add the rear camera later. I was previously looking for two cameras in a kit but the Mobius dual kit is just two separate cameras sold together, no components are shared between them. I didn't realise that these cameras were 5V. When you find the 12V - 5V step down gadget could you post a link to it on here please? Cheers. Bruce.
Well I've ordered the camera, but not yet ordered the stepdown adapter.
You are looking for something like this http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/12v-to-5v...=UK_Camera_Chargers_Docks&hash=item3ce77db897
but there are tons of other 12v -> 5V stepdown adapters on fleabay. Just a case of picking one what outputs to mini USB - which I beleive the 0801 uses. I think it only requires 0.5A so anything 1A output should be fine. Then its a case of buying one of those adapters you posted earlier and you are sorted.