What's new
Peugeot RCZ Forum

Register a free account today to become a member. It's free! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, connect with other members through your own private inbox and take part in competitions!

Oil

fisherman

Reaction score
Regarding oil has anyone tried CASTROL MAGNATEC 0W-30 C2 as an alternative to the recommended TOTAL INEO FIRST 0W-30 C1 as I wondered would it help with the timing chain wear problems, as the Castrol MagneTec Suggests that it clings to all the surfaces after the oil has drained down overnight. so at least the timing chain would be well lubricated on start-up which is where I understand most of the wear in an engine Happens.Just interested to see if anyone uses the Castrol and how they got on with it.

Pedro

Reaction score
I use Castrol stop/ start in a Ford focus ST because its recommended but so are a lot of other oils ?
In my Z handbook the Total is endorsed by Peugeot so I use the Ineo C3 5w30 & have done for the last 4+yrs but my oil is changed well before the service schedule so I know the chain/drivetrain is protected but basically its entirely the owners choice about what to use & these engines can be picky about what they like when it comes to oil spec

fisherman

Reaction score
I use Castrol stop/ start in a Ford focus ST because its recommended but so are a lot of other oils ?
In my Z handbook the Total is endorsed by Peugeot so I use the Ineo C3 5w30 & have done for the last 4+yrs but my oil is changed well before the service schedule so I know the chain/drivetrain is protected but basically its entirely the owners choice about what to use & these engines can be picky about what they like when it comes to oil spec
Hi plasma I fully understand where you’re coming from as each oil manufacturer will produce a grade of oil for all makes of cars, But certain manufacturers will pair up with certain car manufacturers To endorse their oils I’ve used Castro MagneTec over the years In quite a few different cars and thought that its oil clinging abilities may help prolong the life of the timing Chains in the RCZ. but there does seem to be a slight Split in opinions on the forums between 5w-30 and 0w30 Both of which are mentioned in my handbook, Peugeot also suggests that the 0w-30 has superseded the 5w-30 and as this is the first oil change that I have done since owning the car, I’m still not sure which one to use all, I can say is the last four services it has had 0W-30 in it And the car has done 27,000 miles And I really don’t know which grade of oil would be more beneficial

indoldn

Reaction score
Hi plasma I fully understand where you’re coming from as each oil manufacturer will produce a grade of oil for all makes of cars, But certain manufacturers will pair up with certain car manufacturers To endorse their oils I’ve used Castro MagneTec over the years In quite a few different cars and thought that its oil clinging abilities may help prolong the life of the timing Chains in the RCZ. but there does seem to be a slight Split in opinions on the forums between 5w-30 and 0w30 Both of which are mentioned in my handbook, Peugeot also suggests that the 0w-30 has superseded the 5w-30 and as this is the first oil change that I have done since owning the car, I’m still not sure which one to use all, I can say is the last four services it has had 0W-30 in it And the car has done 27,000 miles And I really don’t know which grade of oil would be more beneficial
Agreed, there is a slight split opinion on this. Like anything now with so much information available it's actually hard to decide. Personally, I still use Castrol Magnetec 5W-30 C2 in my THP200 and have been doing so in the last 3 years. My understanding is in colder climate 0W-30W is better. 0W-30W has lower viscosity so in theory flows through engine faster and helps things work more efficiently by reducing friction and some say can improve fuel economy. I am still on the fence about changing to 0W-30. Ultimately, you can just go with Total Quartz Ineo First 0W-30 which is recommended by Peugeot. I didn't actually realise that Total Quartz Ineo First 0W-30 is a C1. If I was to go 0W-30, I'd go with Castrol Magnetec 0W-30 C2 but that's just due to my personal preference.

fisherman

Reaction score
Just to say thank you to everyone who has commented with all help and information to my post regarding the oil and filter on my RCZ.cheers fisherman.

neilgsxr69

Staff member
Reaction score
Peugeot didn’t change the recommended spec of oil for nothing 🤔

Buddy

Reaction score
I'm looking at changing to 5/40 as my thp156 has done almost 80,000 miles and the oil consumption is to me a bit high, at a litre in 1,400 miles. No side of leaks so far and the engine runs and pulls nicely. On another point, I tried 99 octane fuel and it improved the engine response by enough to be felt and appreciated, fuel consumption seems better but the driving cycle is different and so not easy to quantify

Heanster

Reaction score
I'm looking at changing to 5/40 as my thp156 has done almost 80,000 miles and the oil consumption is to me a bit high, at a litre in 1,400 miles. No side of leaks so far and the engine runs and pulls nicely. On another point, I tried 99 octane fuel and it improved the engine response by enough to be felt and appreciated, fuel consumption seems better but the driving cycle is different and so not easy to quantify
My 156 uses half a litre every 1000 miles (which is about every 12 days!) the dipstick, as a result, always shows pristine clean oil! Mine has now done 47k. I agree about the higher octane petrol; I do notice a difference myself

Buddy

Reaction score
Having now owned my 156THP for over three months with a variety of driving situations and conditions I find that around my own area I have very low oil consumption and presume that the oil in the engine is 0-30 which is a very thin oil as the 0 is it's viscosity at cold and the 30 is it's comparable viscosity at warmed up engine temperature (85-90c ), however when I do a 200mile trip at 70 or so on the motorway I find that the level will drop by about 1/2" on the dipstick when measured when it has stood for at least half an hour. If I do not top up at that point it will remain at that level until I do another lengthy journey, this makes me think that when it's running for a long trip it gets thoroughly warmed through and would benefit from the slightly thicker 40 grade. It does concern me that in the manuals Peugeot list oils up to 15-40 for warmer climates but but those climatic temperatures are often not so extreme and the lower end of their graph shows that all oils will cope to temperatures down to -15c below freezing point, mid range temperatures for all oils range between 5-10c for 0W-30 to approx 20c for the 15W-40 with the 5W40 being around 15c. Note that during the hot spell last summer air temperatures in the UK did get up to the mid 30's so according to Peugeot's own graph the 0W-30 was nearing it's upper limit.

Pedro

Reaction score
I would contemplate it after 80-100.000 Klms ?

Attachments

• Heavier oils for higher mileages.PNG
    Heavier oils for higher mileages.PNG
    216.2 KB · Views: 15

Ftmmax

Reaction score
Regarding oil has anyone tried CASTROL MAGNATEC 0W-30 C2 as an alternative to the recommended TOTAL INEO FIRST 0W-30 C1 as I wondered would it help with the timing chain wear problems, as the Castrol MagneTec Suggests that it clings to all the surfaces after the oil has drained down overnight. so at least the timing chain would be well lubricated on start-up which is where I understand most of the wear in an engine Happens.Just interested to see if anyone uses the Castrol and how they got on with it.
I'm using it but just started so no data on it yet.

Buddy

Reaction score
I used one of the early Castrol Magnetec oils in a Porsche 944 turbo about 20 years ago and it had no problems with it, checking now recommendations are to use a 10-40 grade in that model. I'm looking at changing my oil to a 5W-40 Mobil which is said to be more tolerant of the temperatures seen in the turbo bearings than their competitors products, I have used a Mobil1 0-40 in other Porsches since the turbo and it's always performed well, so I expect the Mobil Super 5-40 or 10-40 should stand up well in the small turbo engines of the RCZ.

One the subject of timing chains, while there may be some wear in the link pins on the timing chains there is also a possibility of stretching of the links which increases the wear rate of the sprocket teeth but that which could lead to links failing is less likely in my view than the probability of the plastic chain guides breaking off at the ends and so causing the chain to go slack very suddenly and hence an unexpected failure, I have seen photos on the internet of such failures which often restrict the oil pick up in the sump. Not that the oil pick up is a problem at that point as the engine is already done for. Otherwise, the chain tensioner only has a limited range so if a chain begins to sound noisy, I would get it changed and a new tensioner fitted. Very few cars are sold with a good history saying when or if a chain has been replaced.

Pedro

Reaction score
I used one of the early Castrol Magnetec oils in a Porsche 944 turbo about 20 years ago and it had no problems with it, checking now recommendations are to use a 10-40 grade in that model. I'm looking at changing my oil to a 5W-40 Mobil which is said to be more tolerant of the temperatures seen in the turbo bearings than their competitors products, I have used a Mobil1 0-40 in other Porsches since the turbo and it's always performed well, so I expect the Mobil Super 5-40 or 10-40 should stand up well in the small turbo engines of the RCZ.

One the subject of timing chains, while there may be some wear in the link pins on the timing chains there is also a possibility of stretching of the links which increases the wear rate of the sprocket teeth but that which could lead to links failing is less likely in my view than the probability of the plastic chain guides breaking off at the ends and so causing the chain to go slack very suddenly and hence an unexpected failure, I have seen photos on the internet of such failures which often restrict the oil pick up in the sump. Not that the oil pick up is a problem at that point as the engine is already done for. Otherwise, the chain tensioner only has a limited range so if a chain begins to sound noisy, I would get it changed and a new tensioner fitted. Very few cars are sold with a good history saying when or if a chain has been replaced.
Chain tolerances will apparently stretch out to 68mm by that time they are well cooked

Buddy

Reaction score
For the time being I have decided that as I don't know what oil is actually in my engine, I'm going to change the existing oil for Total 5/30 C2 and assess that over the next few months, before deciding on what to move on to. Interesting on the chain tolerances and wish I knew at what mileage mine was last changed but it is quiet, I'll see how things go. A neighbour recently had his mini engine rebuilt after a chain failure at 32,000 ten years old from new one owner, he obviously doesn't pay much attention to his car.

Kash2001

Reaction score
Please excuse my nievity on asking this question, but could I use Castrol Magnetec 0W-30 C2. In our 2.0 HDi rcz? Or does the HDi require a different oil viscosity etc.

Many thanks

neilgsxr69

Staff member
Reaction score
Please excuse my nievity on asking this question, but could I use Castrol Magnetec 0W-30 C2. In our 2.0 HDi rcz? Or does the HDi require a different oil viscosity etc.

Many thanks
You want to be using 5W-30 in the HDI

Kash2001

Reaction score
That's great thank you for that, is there a preferred make or would any from Halfords etc do. As I want to protect the engine as best I can.

Many thanks

neilgsxr69

Staff member
Reaction score
That's great thank you for that, is there a preferred make or would any from Halfords etc do. As I want to protect the engine as best I can.

Many thanks
As long as the spec is the same as Peugeot recommends you can use any, Peugeot recommend Total ineo the thing you have to watch for is the Diesels have a tendency to break the plastic tips off the dipstick, but don’t worry they don’t do any damage.

Buddy

Reaction score
Following my last entry in this thread I changed the oil for Total Ineo 5/30 C2 and have since then done almost 700 miles, including two journeys of 180 miles non stop, the oil level hasn't moved a measurable amount, whereas previously after a 180 mile run it would drop around a 1/4 litre. mileage is 80,450.