What's new
Peugeot RCZ Forum

Register a free account today to become a member. It's free! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, connect with other members through your own private inbox and take part in competitions!

Oil

Anonymous

Reaction score
Is this too much oil? So hard to read 78CB21ED-7499-4259-ABA2-FF818466C6AA.jpeg

Attachments

• 0423BB31-63C7-4417-8735-D0088042F3B0.jpeg
    0423BB31-63C7-4417-8735-D0088042F3B0.jpeg
    42.4 KB · Views: 15

Pedro

Reaction score
If its up to the little round collar it will have at least 4 ltrs of oil which is OK if its only covering the pointed end don't drive the car until you top up the oil!

lfe

Reaction score
What I do is dry carefully the end of the dipstick with kitchen paper, so that it doesn't look wet or shiny, then I put it in slowly, I give it a complete turn and when I take it out it the level looks usually well marked.

Much better with a completely cold engine

Ecrivain

Reaction score
I'm a bit unsure about this, too, top up warning having flashed up on dashboard.

Dipstick in my HDI (14 plate) has plastic end with odd markings. Why can't they just put max and min?! Obviously it's low, but how high to fill it?

Also: what grade of engine oil? Manual strangely silent on the issue, but I'm sure I read it needs a specific grade?

It was serviced 4 months ago at a usually reliable local garage, so surprised it's low, tbh. Did they not put enough in? Opinions welcome!
20221024_142643.jpg

Flanners

Reaction score
find out what they put in it so 0w30 or 5w30 synthetic oil probably and then top up.,,,..not an expert on HDi dipsticks but yours is on minimum so top up between what looks like the two white lines (in your pic) or blocks, I would go nearer the top. You don't say what mileage you have done in the last 4 months? Some engines require a top up on a regular basis with mileage.........or conversely are losing or burning oil etc. You need to keep a better check on oil and not rely on the warning to activate and/or your garage filling the correct amount etc)

This will help you:

Last edited:

Ecrivain

Reaction score
Thanks, Flanners! That's really helpful.
I do less than 10,000 miles a year, so 4 months will be 3000, or 3500 tops. No signs of leakage, and the car is only just out of main dealer warranty, having been bought on 35,000 miles in June 2021. So I suspect local garage may have been a little economical with quantity when changing the oil.... Unless anyone can think of another reason why it might be low?
If not, I need to ask what they put in it and they're only 50 metres away, so will subtly let them know, now, and remind them to top up properly next time!

Pedro

Reaction score
I'm a bit unsure about this, too, top up warning having flashed up on dashboard.

Dipstick in my HDI (14 plate) has plastic end with odd markings. Why can't they just put max and min?! Obviously it's low, but how high to fill it?

Also: what grade of engine oil? Manual strangely silent on the issue, but I'm sure I read it needs a specific grade?

It was serviced 4 months ago at a usually reliable local garage, so surprised it's low, tbh. Did they not put enough in? Opinions welcome!
View attachment 13143

Ecrivain

Reaction score
Thanks, Plasma.

The garage said they'd have put 0w-30 in, which I gather (from another youtube video!) is less viscous at lower (cold engine) temperatures? So I got some of that, figuring it might be better not to mix it with 5w-30, though not sure if that matters? It's Valvoline, supposedly recommended for Peugoet and Citroens. £9.50 for 1 Litre from a tiny local motoring shop in a small town of 4000. Apparantly some petrol stations don't stock ANY motor oil nowadays - I tried one en route!

For the record, putting 250ml in brought it up from a shade below the minimum mark (as discussed/pictured above) about a quarter of the way to the max mark.

I guess more is better, from a lube point of view, so long as you don't go over the max. obviously? (Anticipates ribald comments...!)

Looking at my last service bill, I was charged for 5 litres in early summer. I'd be interested to know, from those HDi folk who change their own oil, how much they put in, altogether, and where that usually points to on the dipstick...?

Pedro

Reaction score
Depending on the cars mileage they can use 1 Ltr per 5000 Klm but it depends on the engine condition & mileage/age of the car & service history also some use more than others but overall most modern cars burn oil the best practice is always check & keep the oil above or over half way mark but as you stated never overfill the oil as it will cause trouble