What's new
Peugeot RCZ Forum

Register a free account today to become a member. It's free! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, connect with other members through your own private inbox and take part in competitions!

Oil Level Sensor.... Reset Time?

DRTDVL

Reaction score
After the weekends 1100km drive (most of it at pace on B roads), we had a oil level incorrect warning message on the dash...

Now, does anyone else have issues reading the oil level on the coil spring type dipstick? The oil in the car is 8 months old, but i couldn't see anything on it... So I went and got 2 ltrs of the recommended oil for the car and still couldn't see anything on the dipstick and the warning message was still on the dash.

The shop only had 5 ltr bottles left of the oil, so bought one of those in great fear of thinking there wasn't any oil in the car given it just took 2 ltrs of oil. I added 0.5 of a ltr and myself and the oil rep couldn't see any oil on the dipstick (i asked him to make sure i wasn't blind) and the error message remained on the dash, so i repeated this act add 0.5 ltr - check dipstick, check warning message... i decided i should stop pouring oil into the car after we added 4.5 ltrs of oil - 0.25 more than the car should take...

We both couldn't see any new oil on the dipstick. wtf?

I then took my remaining oil and drove home now thinking I'm going to blow a crap ton of seals because it's over full and the warning messages about it needs more oil still coming up. I parked the car up, and spent the next 5 hours putting my other car back together so i could drive that to work today.

I start the car up this morning and its all good... no warning message. So i left it in the garage and took my other car to work. I've booked the car into Peugeot tomorrow to get it drained as its no doubt over filled with oil.

So how long should the sensor take to reset?

This is really frustrating me as I'm fearful I've now damaged the engine because of a stupid sensor and dipstick that doesn't clearly show oil levels.

DKZ5745

Reaction score
I thought it was just coz my car had just been serviced when I bought it, I couldn't see any oil on the dip stick either. Oil level not showing low though so I haven't topped it up.
I assumed the oil was very clear, having just been replaced.

Someone once mentioned a little talc sprinkled onto the dip stick, then pushed fully into place, and removed again should show an accurate level, but I haven't tried it.

I do know you are correct about driving it overfilled, hope it's not far to the dealership.

Hope you get it sorted

A

Anonymous

:thumbup: Takes a few days, but the dealer should know that a fault has been flagged up, and the dip stick tube needs a mod, Then they need to reset the system , my dealer wanted to run my car for a few days till message cleared, but I complained that there should be a quicker way. they got in touch with Peugeot uk who told them how to clear the message, other wise you have to wait for the oil to clear the sensor.
cheers nasty hope this helps.( my dealer JCT Peugeot Hull.) :wave:

DRTDVL

Reaction score
Took it to the dealer this morning. Lovely English guy who runs the place, said we aren't the first and we won't be the last to over fill these engines. He did say there was A LOT of oil in the car... I'm suspecting there is probably 3-4 ltrs more than whats recommended.

He's going to put some thing on the dipstick to make it a bit more clear where the oil level is. I think twink/whiteout/white paint.

He's going to do a scan of the car also for us to make sure nothing else is going on with the sensor, he's also going to check all the fluids in the car, including the gearbox (manual) for us. At this stage it's not an official job and they are going to fit it in between other jobs for the day.

I do have to say i really like the level of service these guys provide, so I can highly recommend that if your in Auckland, New Zealand that you use the Continentals Service center in Glenfield.

A

Anonymous

Tis the season for oil sensor problems. Mine came up with a similar fault - oil reading invalid, which would indicate a problem with sensor. I checked the dip-stick and level was fine so I've been running as normal, now it's gone away again.
It's going in for service soon so for the time being I'm just keeping a close eye on oil levels.

DRTDVL

Reaction score
That dipstick has to be one of the worst I've seen for ease of reading the oil level.

It will be interesting if it is the sensor as the cars 1 month out of it's warranty.

DRTDVL

Reaction score
Faulty sensor means the car which takes 4.25 ltrs of oil had 8 ltrs of oil.

I'll be using some high temp white paint on the dipstick to make it easier to read....

Darloblack - ours was saying oil level low.

renegade79

Reaction score
Did the garage manage to remove all the excess oil? Was there any damage caused by the overfill?

A

Anonymous

I have twice had a problem twice with the oil sensor on my hid. It was replaced under warranty then the problem started again with the same symptoms i.e. A few days showing oil level low then ok and so on. However since May of this year it has behaved itself and said the level is ok. Which the dipstick shows it is.

DRTDVL

Reaction score
Yup they drained it out and refilled it for us.

There doesn't appear to be any damage at this stage, so we got lucky!